AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Drive A - 06.13.11

Interviewed by
Drive A - 06.13.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Drive A
(Questions answered by Bruno Mascolo, Vocals/Guitar)

facebook.com/drivea
twitter.com/driveaband
youtube.com/drivearocks
drivearock.com

1. How did you get your band name?
The band name comes from the musical term "drive the 'A' string". We were teaching a friend of ours how to play a song and we told him to "drive a." We kind of thought it sounded cool and from that came the logo and the meaning behind the band.

2. How did this band get started?
I started the band with our guitar player, Jason Nott, five years ago. We met at a concert at the Troubadour and wanted to start a band that was honest and real.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I'm definitely influenced by bands like Billy Talent, Green Day, The Clash, Sham 69, The Ghost of a thousand, as well as bands like Queens of the Stone Age and Foo Fighters.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Rise Against would be awesome to tour with because they are such a great live band. My Chem or Green Day would be amazing too.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
I have three mandatory places to eat on tour: Chipotle, Noodles and Co., and Panera Bread. I'm all about the slightly healthier chain restaurants. On some of our first tours I would just eat McDonalds and gas station food. But after five weeks of that type of garbage it makes playing the shows near impossible.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We can actually play our instruments and write songs. A lot of bands don't really pay attention to writing great songs anymore, or even playing their instruments at live shows. We would never be caught dead playing to a tape. There is so much passion and energy in our band because we play the music that we love and it definitely shows in our live performances.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Jason Terry because he just won the NBA Championship after fourteen years of playing his ass off. Plus I think it's a badass move to get the championship tattoo before you actually win.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank my family, fans, and people that really put blood, sweat, and tears into helping the band grow.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would say there needs to be more original thinkers in bands and at record labels. Everyone is playing it safe. I think people need to take chances otherwise the fans will get bored and leave.

10. Memorable tour experience?
So many ridiculous tour stories but one stands out in particular. We played a radio show in St. Louis and somehow we ended up side stage for Korn. I am pretty sure they were in the middle of their cover of "We Will Rock You" by Queen. I just remember ending up belting it out sidestage with the singer of Papa Roach - one of the weirdest coolest things ever.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Its such a cool site to find out what cool bands are up to. There are too many angry losers talking shit on there though.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
My favorite song to play live is our new song called "Revolt." It's fast and aggressive. I like to go fuck around in the crowd during this song and get the pit started - its always a good time.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I love going to London. So much cool music over there. I have family over there so I love visiting.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Blink 182, Sugarcult, Green day - all bands I still listen to and love to this day.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I would like to fly because there is too much traffic in LA.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really. I just stretch and do vocal warm ups.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I was born and raised in Plano, TX.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think radio needs to stop playing music from twenty years ago on "new rock" stations. Love Nirvana but it's not new anymore. I think having your music heard by a shit ton of people is a great thing. We don't write songs for radio, but we do write great songs so people would connect to them.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love going to the movie theater. I go all the time. You don't really have time for that on tour so when I'm home I'm always there.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can go weeks on pizza and pizza alone.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
05:18 PM on 06/28/11
sam5044
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is amazing! I can't wait to see them in Winnipeg, Manitoba finally at Rock On The Range 2011! Sucks they couldn't come back in late 2010 with Bullet For My Valentine, Escape The Fate, and Black Tide, but its been worth the wait! :D
05:25 PM on 06/28/11
nellywearsprada
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is what music is really about!
They are bring back what music should be.
They have great music and in my opinion, one of the best bands live.

"We can actually play our instruments" ha! That was funny!
05:33 PM on 06/28/11
xxjujuthejackxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is an incredible band. Their music, personalities, just everything about them is amazing. They are a true meaning of music. I look forward to seeing them again someday.
05:50 PM on 06/28/11
Riotrulz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is a great band im hoping to get tickets to ROTR in Winnipeg so i can see them open up :)!!!
05:55 PM on 06/28/11
AngiesInsane
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is one of those amazing bands that everyone has to love. Live they may have a short set time but hell they pack in so much energy and emotion in every song you cant help but get into it! all the members are super sweet and always active with the fans; i honestly have NOTHING bad to say about this band! I hope they continue to grow!
07:31 PM on 06/28/11
AngiesInsane
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drvie A is the best band ever<3
Like bruno said they can really play their instruments and his vocals are amazing!
08:46 PM on 06/28/11
dmnrngl95
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is a fucking awsome band.They really know how to put on a show. Its not just their great stage performance whats great about them but their music overall. Drive A is a great band to listen to. They define really music and talent. DRIVE A ROCKS!!!
07:43 AM on 06/29/11
lupusnoctua
Lupusnoctua
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These guys are absolutely amazing artists, their stage presence demands your full attention, and when Bruno jumps off the stage it's almost as if we are back when punk was still huge. These guys still live up to my standards of punk music, which a lot of bands fall short on in today's world, I absolutely love these guys.
They are also really cool people to hang out with, I Hung out with them some at Bamboozle last year at Hershey Park
04:32 PM on 06/29/11
jackiesjunkie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Bruno really knows how to get the crowd going. He almost always gets in the middle of the the pit and up on the barrier. All the guys in the band are really friendly and great about hanging out with fans after the shows. They appreciate everyone who comes out to the shows and they show it. Can't wait to see them play again!
06:12 PM on 06/29/11
Meljean94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
YOU GUYS ROCK! I saw you live on tour with Escape the Fate in January and got a chance to meet you. You guys are really chill and an honest band!!!
07:18 PM on 06/29/11
*Rena*
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is great band. Saw them on the Revolt tour. I didn't know who they were and I came out of the show a huge fan. They definitely know how to put on an awesome show! Can't wait to see them on the Rock Allegiance Tour!
11:10 PM on 06/29/11
AngiesInsane
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A, so much positve to say about these guys. I met them once and it was like INSTANT obsession! They're not just a band, It's four guys who really have a passion for music and their fans. I couldn't survive a day with out their amazing music, real music; quite rare in this day in age.
10:31 AM on 06/30/11
jenn_mde
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is an amazing band, theyre so nice to their fans all the time. Not only that, but their music is relateable, and it rocks. Haha, Drive A is awesome. Theyre awesomer live, theyre always hyper and willing to prove themselves. :D
10:37 PM on 06/30/11
Meljean94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drive A is fucking amazing!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT