AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Graham Coxon - Love Travels At Illegal Speeds Review Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Graham Coxon - Love Travels At Illegal Speeds Review

Reviewed by: WarpSpeedChewy (04/27/07)
Graham Coxon - Love Travels At Illegal Speeds

Britpop. It's almost become cliche to a degree in reference to British bands. But in the 90s it for a while anyway meant the resurgence of rock being the dominate force of music in britain. Bands like Oasis and Radiohead were the most well known bands to come out of it. But the band known as Blur were most well known in the states for the song called Song 2 but known as Woo Hoo. It's a shame Blur didn't get a bigger reception and more of a chance in America cause there's a lot of genius in the band and guitarist Graham Coxon was a big part of it.

Heralded by producer Steven Street (who produced this album and most of The Smiths albums) as the best guitarist he has worked with since working with Johnny Marr of The Smiths, Graham Coxon left Blur 2002 to put his focus on his solo career. His newest is called Love Travels At Illegal Speeds. This albums is obviously centered around love but talks more about the feeling and situations surrounding love...so don't expect this to be the kinda of album where all the guy does is moan about his girlfriend. It's not even in the lease like that. It's a bit of journey through all of those things.

Starting off with one of the catchiest songs on the album "Standing On My Own Again"is a great start to the album. It's great representation of the balance the album has between catchy and a full-on rock songs. SOMOA is a perfect mash between the 2 and you'll see a lot of that on the album. A lot of fans of Pop Punk should gravitate to this album. It's definitely one of those album that can make you dance, tap your toes and wanna mosh in a crowd too. But it's not a pop-punk album, it has elements of punk but it's just really catchy rock n roll.

"I Can't Look At Your Skin" is a great song that's cautionary tale of being wary or being tempted of a certain relationship but you can just tell dangers lie ahead. This album doesn't play around with the meanings of the songs. It's direct but it honest, genuine, and universal. You can pretty much tell what songs like "Don't Let You Man Know" and "You Always Let Me Down" are about. But this album does have variety to it. "You & I" is pure and simple a song made to be single. It's one of my favorites off of the album. It's one of the more poppier songs but it's really good. There's the quiet "Just A State Of Mind" and the acoustic ballad "Flights To The Sea(Lovely Rain) that echoes Dylan a bit. It's the type of song that calms and puts you in a better mood. Great representations of the calm that's needed after a chaotic relationship or bad day at work.

This album ends with the song "See A Better Day" about the possibility of a better life with someone. It's a great slightly atmospheric song that perfectly capturing the end and theme of the album. This is the type of album where some people will like certain songs more than others but it's a great album all around. Graham Coxon is one of the most overlooked and underrated musicians ever. He's my favorite guitarist but put forth a great and genuine effort as a singer-songwriter and deserves to heard by more people. You'll have to import the album or buy it through itunes, but it's worth it.

Recommended if you like: The Libertines, Foo Fighters, Blur, Beck, Nick Drake, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys.

Recommended Songs: Standing On My Own Again, I Can't Look At Your Skin, Flights to the Sea (Lovely Rain), You & I, See A Better day

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
08:17 AM on 05/06/07
halifaxonfire
superrocketcar.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
great review, man. i originally just picked this up because he used to be in Blur, but i'm really liking this album, its really catchy and i think perfect for this time of year. i'd really love to see another Blur album as long as Coxon is involved.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums