AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Lift The Decade - 06.16.11

Lift The Decade - 06.16.11

Interviewed by
Lift The Decade - 06.16.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Lift The Decade

www.facebook.com/liftthedecade - including full album stream

This interview has responses from:
Nick (vocals, rhythm guitar)
Alex (drums, vocals)
James (bass).

1. How did you get your band name?
Alex: I thought of it while driving in the car listening to Taking Back Sunday "A Decade Under The Influence" and it all just popped together.

2. How did this band get started?
Nick and Alex would jam on 2 guitars with a four track recorder doing Senses Fail covers when they were in about 7th or 8th grade. They always sort of messed around with music but never really wrote anything. Then when they were sophomores Nick and Alex started jamming with Ken, our guitarist, and then bassist Ryan. We played a few shows at VFW halls and local clubhouses but things sort of slowed down after the school year was over cause Ryan was leaving for school. After a 5 or 6 month hiatus, the band came back with a new name and a new bassist, James, who is the current bassist.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Nick: Bands I'm most influenced by are bands like Brand New, pretty much anything Ace Enders is involved in, Circa Survive, and a few others. I wouldn't say so much that our musical style is influenced by these artists, but the drive to persevere and get to where we want to be comes a lot from watching bands like these in concert. Seeing your heroes on stage in a packed house with hundreds of screaming fans makes you want to try to grow up and be like them some day.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Alex: All the Drive Thru Record bands in their prime early 2000s.
Nick: If I could tour with any band, I think I would have to say Circa Survive. Hanging out with Anthony Green all the time, and taking advice (and possibly vocal lessons) from him would be something that I wouldn't pass up for anything.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
James: Always down with beef jerkey and snapple iced tea!
Nick: I would be on a fairly steady diet of big macs, chicken nuggets, and french fries. Every once in a while after a really fun show I would definitely want to shake it up with some IHOP.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Alex: I feel modern music lacks any sense of...... music. Poppy riffs, generic drum beats. We need some sort of change, and I feel Ken's amazing vintage guitar and my poppy new age drum beats along with Nick's amazing vocals and style and Jame's amazing talents as a bassist have come together to form that change we need in music. I feel people will like us because of it.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Alex: I would be Pele, because soccer is my shit.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
James: Everyone that ever supported us, my family for putting up with my music, and of course the academy!
Nick: My parents first and foremost, our amazing manager Danielle Shepherd, and everyone who ever came to a Lift the Decade show, or bought a CD. Anyone who ever helped us get to that point.
Alex: My friends and family. My brother Tyler, Brian Trapp (brother of Senses Fail drummer).

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Nick: The fact that basically all local shows are pay-to-play. I know it's hard to do otherwise without bringing a big headliner, but having to sell tickets to play a show is the biggest buggaboo i have about being in a local band.

10. Most memorable show and why?

Alex: Definitely our first show at School of Rock in South Hackensack which was last Spring sometime. It was with Sherwood and it was definitely the best venue sound wise I had ever played at before, although we have since then played school of rock on several occasions.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
James:
AP.net has been around for a while, and I remember hearing about it in Alternative Press magazine a while back, I think it was when Coheed and Cambria released No World for Tomorrow... Anyway, it's a great source to hear up-and-coming bands, and a great site dedicated to preserve the alternative/punk music scene. I'm a fan!!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
James: Probably "You Were Right." It's a newer song that we're planning to record soon. It starts off with a bassline I built off of the melody Ken wrote, and it transforms into this otherworldly being that's supported by Nick's heartfelt lyrics, Alex's pounding drums, and the melodic guitar part Ken plays. It also has a sick ending.
Nick: Currently, my favorite song in our set is called "You Were Right". It coincides with a lot of the struggles I've been having for the past year and it feels like a release every time we play it live. Here's a link to us playing it at the Break Contest finals @ the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjvU3IRJEUA

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Alex: California

Nick: Out of all the vacations I've been on, by far the coolest place was Asseteague Island near Ocean City, Maryland. It's an island that wild horses live on. Aside from one main road throughout the island and few picnic tables, it's pretty much without any man made structures. For anyone who lives around the area, definitely a perfect weekend road trip.
James: I would love to go to Australia or New Zealand and go planking

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
James: The Spice Girls.... Don't ask.
Nick: A lot of Green Day, and a lot of Foo Fighters. Pretty much anything that my mom would put on in the car when i was really little became the music that I liked; luckily it was good music.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Alex:
Best Drummer in the world, of course!
Nick: Flight. I'd love to be able to fly on a broom like Harry Potter.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

James: Not really, I wish we had something rad. We're usually too busy loading our gear onstage to do anything cool, although I generally give high fives.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Alex: I'm still in high school.
Nick: I have a fear of swimming in lakes because I'm terrified of the loch ness monster.
James: I currently have the world record for the smallest nipples. Though I have to be 18 to register, I still have the satisfaction of knowing I beat the record holder by .1 of a centimeter. The funny part is I'm not kidding.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Nick: There's only one station on terrestrial radio in our area that plays new rock music, so maybe on that station. Definitely on Sirius and XM radio though. There seems to be a more wide variety of new rock being played on satellite radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Nick: Hang out with my girlfriend, with friends, write raps, record random covers or new ideas at my house on garageband, and pretty much just living it up cause it's senior year.
James: Besides maintaining my action figure, comic book and sunglasses collection, I play golf, and have a recording studio set up at my house. I also sing in my school's choir. Pretty legit.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Alex: I can actually kick a football pretty well (laughs).
James: I can play about 5 instruments. I've been playing guitar and taking lessons for about 6 years, learned bass from that, taught myself how to play drums and piano, and I play a mean flute.
Nick: I'm one of the best snake players in the world.. at one point, my high score in the snake game on facebook was good enough to be on the "All Time Highest Scores" list. It was only for a week or so, but still to this day one of my proudest achievements.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:28 PM on 06/21/11
molly183
Circles & Soundwaves
User Info.
I interviewed Lift the Decade last month! Check it out: http://circlesandsoundwaves.tumblr.c...decade-5-23-11

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos