AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 331.
11:14 AM on 06/24/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I'm pretty sure you completely missed the point of everything I said in addition to putting words in my mouth. Pretty sure I never said Radiohead was my favorite band. Also pretty sure I never said I don't want to like an album many people love. I'm too fucking old to do that any more. My top 5 records this year are Foo Fighters, Bayside, Title Fight, Touche Amore, and The Wonder Years. Obscure group of bands, huh?

Well, save for Touche they aren't good, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.
11:15 AM on 06/24/11
collideoscopic
User Info.
Well, save for Touche they aren't good, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Well good for you. We can agree on something. Let's move on.
11:16 AM on 06/24/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Well good for you. We can agree on something. Let's move on.

Deal
11:17 AM on 06/24/11
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
Nope. Hinnom disrupts the flow for me. Lisbon is nothing more than a small interlude.
Hinnom is nice. It's all dream pop-like.
11:17 AM on 06/24/11
thirtyfourdays
Brandon
User Info.
just listened to this record for the first time. wow. so beautiful.
11:22 AM on 06/24/11
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
User Info.
11:23 AM on 06/24/11
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
User Info.
this is a tragic tragic comment. stop living in the past. blink is entirely irrelevant. I don't think Bon Iver deserve a 100. that implies that this record is as good as anything the Beatles ever did
No it doesn't. It's the equivelant of a 5/5 or a 10/10, which is what many publications usually give to a handful of records every year.
11:28 AM on 06/24/11
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
i've heard good things about this album and Drew's review makes me want to fall in love with it asap, but comparing it to Brand New's TDAG on Twitter? c'mon Drew, that's like comparing Kriss Kross to Kanye West.
You're kidding right? Also that song Jump from Kriss Kross is dope. Also this is better than TDAG to, mainly because it is more consistent but I love both albums.
The above statement might be even more overblown than this review. There'e nothing to "not get". The record is not deep. Guys, it's a GOOD record. It's not fucking awesome, it's not even great. It doesn't crack this year's top 10. You can't give this 100% or say it's "perfect". Actually, you can say that, but then I lose all respect for you and your ability to be realistic.

It's also not a universal listen - the record is only listenable in certain situations ... for instance, I found it very enjoyable when trying to fall asleep on an overseas flight last week.

I'm going to throw this in the pile with Animal Collective, Broken Social Scene, Radiohead, etc - bands that could take a shit on a record and people like you would call it genius. Give me a fucking break.
This made me laugh. Pretty sure a lot of people didn't like Radiohead's last album (I know I didn't). And this album is listenable just about anywhere, it's not goddamn Terry Riley or GY!BE or Saetia or something. It's just nice indie folk, sometimes dreamy music. Also I could never listen to it going asleep, too catchy.
11:32 AM on 06/24/11
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks, this great too. I mean, it's similar, but no one has heard this and it's his song. He can do what he wants with it. I'll bet you anything you'll never see a review mention this song.
I agree that it's his song and he can do what he wants, and I understand that other people aren't going to be as put off by it as I am. I guess my problem is that I like "Hazelton" better than "Holocene." If I felt it was an improvement of the former, I might like it better.

And I wouldn't assume no one has heard Hazeltons just because you haven't...it's not that hard to find, and I'd bet the majority of Bon Iver fans who have been in it since soon after For Emma came out or earlier would be pretty familiar with it.
11:36 AM on 06/24/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I agree that it's his song and he can do what he wants, and I understand that other people aren't going to be as put off by it as I am. I guess my problem is that I like "Hazelton" better than "Holocene." If I felt it was an improvement of the former, I might like it better.

And I wouldn't assume no one has heard Hazeltons just because you haven't...it's not that hard to find, and I'd bet the majority of Bon Iver fans who have been in it since soon after For Emma came out or earlier would be pretty familiar with it.

That's a generalization, but that's neither here nor there.
11:36 AM on 06/24/11
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
Drew when did you get the album? I wanted you to post your review before Pitchfork, haha...
11:47 AM on 06/24/11
losnoufy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's a generalization, but that's neither here nor there.
It certainly is a generalization...there's a place for generalizations when you're trying to make a point.
11:48 AM on 06/24/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
It certainly is a generalization...there's a place for generalizations when you're trying to make a point.

Now we're just arguing semantics.

Thanks for showing me the song.
11:53 AM on 06/24/11
Say Nothing
Oh the burdens of time
User Info.
lmao yes!!!!
11:54 AM on 06/24/11
Say Nothing
Oh the burdens of time
User Info.
Options