AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 23 of 23.
02:43 PM on 07/05/11
Nick Gerli
User Info.
I really think this is a common misconception, besides the fact that A.) Craig is back in the band, and B.) It's name is Downtown Battle Mountain 2, the album really isn't all that similar to the first AT ALL. Seriously, listen to them back to back.

Regardless I feel as DGD has a really deviated fan base, some hunger for the kurt era, others the Jonny coin, I prefer all of their albums tho, IF I had to pick a worst it'd be Happiness, but that's not saying much since I love them all. That being said, S/T all the way!
Untitled and Happiness were extremely diverse records that saw a lot of band progression. I don't know whether it's the re-inclusion of Craig, or the losses of Travis and Garren, but the Caviar/Uneasy Hearts/Happiness/Don't Tell Dave experimentation is gone on DMB2.

I value ingenuity and creativity in music. Records that explore unchartered territory and do it well have the most staying power. The previous poster summed it up perfectly - DMB2 is "safe", an album that didn't take any chances.

And why did I think that the S/T was called Untitled? Gotta fix that. And I'm with you that's my favorite as well.
03:25 PM on 07/05/11
DeviateRogue
Valar Morghulis
User Info.
Untitled and Happiness were extremely diverse records that saw a lot of band progression. I don't know whether it's the re-inclusion of Craig, or the losses of Travis and Garren, but the Caviar/Uneasy Hearts/Happiness/Don't Tell Dave experimentation is gone on DMB2.

I value ingenuity and creativity in music. Records that explore unchartered territory and do it well have the most staying power. The previous poster summed it up perfectly - DMB2 is "safe", an album that didn't take any chances.

And why did I think that the S/T was called Untitled? Gotta fix that. And I'm with you that's my favorite as well.
I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything, cause I somewhat agree, I didn't enjoy DTBMII as much as the first or the ST, but I felt they did experiment a bit on this record as well, the horns in "Need Money" being a good example, or the bluesque style of "Blue Dream" which is probably my favorite on the album.

I'd say this album has some standout tracks; "Spooks", "Purple Reign", "Need Money", "Robot 2 1/2", "Elder Goose" and "Blue Dream", and the rest are just good, which I'd consider sub-par for standard DGD-affair.
11:23 AM on 07/08/11
H.e.n.r.I.
User Info.
Having to wait through John Mess's nonsense barking [not even a good screamer imo, and his lyrics are just terrible] to hear Johnny Craig's well written and delivered lines pretty much ruins this band for me...shame shame.
11:25 AM on 07/08/11
H.e.n.r.I.
User Info.
^and if you call me a "craig fan boy" or whatever else, go fuck yourself...I think that hes talented and that Mess just sounds like shit
12:09 PM on 07/08/11
DeviateRogue
Valar Morghulis
User Info.
Having to wait through John Mess's nonsense barking [not even a good screamer imo, and his lyrics are just terrible] to hear Johnny Craig's well written and delivered lines pretty much ruins this band for me...shame shame.
Just an F.Y.I Will writes a majority of Craig's lyrics.
05:16 AM on 08/24/11
20daysin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
overall I like this album, I think it's pretty good. It's definitely creative and not boring, DGD has so much history I think it's easy to say alot of bs stuff but overall I think this new album is decent.
09:23 PM on 08/24/11
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
Album is terrible, would've rated it lower. Good review, well-written. You're a very consistent reviewer.
07:47 PM on 07/13/12
stevenharvey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this review is a good one. downtown battle mountain II is among my favorites aside from mountain climbing of course.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums