Password

Album Review
The There For Tomorrow - The Verge Album Cover

The There For Tomorrow - The Verge

Reviewed by
There For Tomorrow - The Verge
Record Label: Hopeless
Release Date: June 28, 2011
The Verge is the latest offering from Orlando rock band There For Tomorrow. For those not familiar with TFT, they are an alternative rock band that combine elements of post-hardcore and pop punk, similar to Saosin and earlier Anberlin. When they released their debut album A Little Faster in the Summer of 2009, it pleased most fans of their Self-Titled EP by blending hard-hitting, fast-paced guitar lines with huge hooks. They don’t stray too far away from their signature sound with The Verge, but unfortunately the end product ends up being a weaker ALF.

The album kicks off with the title track of the album. There’s nothing new here and overall the song is very boring, with its only saving grace being a nifty bridge riff. The album’s first single, “Hunt Hunt Hunt”, starts off with an interesting bass line and boasts a pretty huge chorus, but fails to deliver the power and catchiness of their debut single off ALF, “A Little Faster”. The promotional single, “The Joyride”, comes next and is again, a weak song with a chorus that somehow manages to be both huge and underwhelming at the same time.

The tracks “18” and “Nowhere Boulevard” are bright spots on the album, but still lack much replay value. “Blu” is a piano ballad and the slow jam of the album. It’s fine for what it is, but most fans of this band would probably have preferred an acoustic number, as there isn’t one to be found on the album. “Get It” is definitely a departure for this band, but not a good one. Rounded out by cringe-worthy verses and a boring chorus, it probably should have been left on the backburner. Spliced between the aforementioned tracks are standard TFT songs with varying tempos, some of which sound good at first but get stale quickly.

TFT has stated in numerous interviews that they took a week to write this album. They say they were inspired by being in the moment. It’s an interesting idea, but it doesn’t end up working for this band. It ends up feeling rushed with bland songs and riffs. There For Tomorrow’s EP and debut full-length are highly recommended, but unfortunately The Verge doesn’t have the riffs or the hooks of their previous work.

Recommended If You LikeSaosin, Anberlin, Conditions

http://therefortmrw.tumblr.com/
This review is a user submitted review from HCO SF 87. You can see all of HCO SF 87's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
10:13 AM on 07/03/11
cwhit412
User Info.
I think the band is technically stronger on this, but the songs just have no kick to them.
10:24 AM on 07/03/11
HCO SF 87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been listening to this album and I may have been a little harsh on this review, because a couple tracks I didn't mention are pretty good (Saave and Stopwatch Affair) but I still think the album is a let down and that they are capable of more.
10:50 AM on 07/03/11
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I liked this better than there previous work. It felt like a stream of consciousness but I love what they did with it. Some songs focus on hooks and others focus on melody of the song in conjunction with lyrics. BLU is one of my favorite There For Tomorrow songs and I never expected them to write it. I loved a little faster but the diversity and lyrics in this album had me sold.

Its what 30 seconds to mars would sound like (pre- this is war) without all the synth and more rock. That is how I have come to see it. Very passionate album that put emphasis on the strengths of each member of the band. Some songs have amazing base and the guitar is different then previous stuff. The Drums on some songs really stand out and Makai real uses his pipes on this record not to just make a fast pace rock/pop punk record that would go over as well a little faster but to grow as a group and just do whatever felt natural. The album felt so natural in the sense they did not to write it for anyone but themselves and it shows.
01:04 PM on 07/03/11
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Had no idea TFT wrote this record in a week. Has a few bright moments like "Nowhere BLVD", but that's about it. The production really stands out as, TFT really shine with a slick, bass heavy sound. I hope they return to form on their next record though.
02:56 PM on 07/03/11
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
I like this album. I think it's pretty solid. I definitely like the direction they took with it. Was the execution perfect? No, probably not. Still some fun rock jams. Plus, Maika's vocals are absolutely superb.
04:18 PM on 07/03/11
lovemetal24
User Info.
album is pretty good
05:44 PM on 07/03/11
LetsStartOver
User Info.
People who had heard the album early really made me worry about how this would sound but I was very happy with it and my pre order (: They haven't dissapointed me yet and they have a bright future ahead of them. Wish them the best!
07:39 PM on 07/03/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I like the album, but not nearly as much as ALF. I think it is a better album, I just don't enjoy it as much. I was also very happy that there was a piano-based song rather than an acoustic number. Acoustic songs seems so typical for a release in any pop based genre.
08:39 PM on 07/03/11
zitikiller
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this review seems more rushed than the album.
06:44 AM on 07/04/11
simon3cs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if you know nothing about music dont write reviews
thanks
11:51 AM on 07/04/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Album is a huge letdown. Can't stand the vocals
12:37 PM on 07/04/11
Marcos_gun
tastes like green.
User Info.
Fail Review,This album beats "A Little faster" by miles and miles.
12:38 PM on 07/04/11
Marcos_gun
tastes like green.
User Info.
I like this album. I think it's pretty solid. I definitely like the direction they took with it. Was the execution perfect? No, probably not. Still some fun rock jams. Plus, Maika's vocals are absolutely superb.
This.
04:16 PM on 07/04/11
HCO SF 87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Album is a huge letdown. Can't stand the vocals
what don't you like about them? I thought the vocals were a high point, maika's always had a great voice.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos