AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sweatshirt Weather - Getting By EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.38
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9.38
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Sweatshirt Weather - Getting By EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (07/04/11)
Sweatshirt WeatherGetting By EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: July 5, 2011

Another pop band fit for summer, Sweatshirt Weather have an ear for upbeat tunes and infectious melodies. Sure, their music may not be top notch lyrically, musically, or vocally, but it is catchy and fun, which seems to be all they wish to accomplish anyway. Having a similar feel to Forever The Sickest Kids and other acts in the genre, Sweatshirt Weather seem to have a pretty solid foundation for what they want to do here – Getting By with some fun poppy tunes.

Chris Stewart kicks off “Be Someone” with his raw vocals on what is arguably the best vocal delivery on Getting By. Backed by nice guitar play, Stewart’s vocal delivery is enjoyable and easy to listen to, although not breaking any boundaries by any means. “Down On My Luck” is more or less a more pop version of Hit The Lights, although relying a bit much on the synth effects, which sound overused by the end of the track. Thankfully, “However We Can” redeems the former track as a soft piano melody is heard in the background, resulting in a soon to be fan favorite. “Midwestern Love” follows a similar formula to “However We Can,” only a bit more drawn out and uninspired, but “Open Up The Sky” keeps Getting By from sinking into the abyss, as this song proves the band saved the best for last.

After hearing the memorable highlight that “Open Up The Sky” attests to be, listeners may have mixed feelings about the band. The final track is a solid pop tune, making fans hope Sweatshirt Weather continue in this direction, yet tracks the middle tracks seem to fall short, as the band rely too much on effects and attempting to make catchy songs rather than focusing on the music and lyrics. As a result, it’s clear that Sweatshirt Weather do have potential, but until they can define their sound and gain originality, it is unknown when they will reach or even realize this potential.

Recommended If You LikeForever The Sickest Kids or a more pop-oriented Hit The Lights

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Be Someone
2. Down On My Luck
3. However We Can
4. Midwestern Love
5. Open Up The Sky

Sweatshirt Weather are:
Chris Stewart – Vocals, Guitar, Piano
Daniel Inskeep – Guitar, Piano, Vocals
Chad Kulaga – Bass
Nate Adams – Drums, Vocals

Myspace

Follow Me On Twitterhttp://www.twitter.com/RyanGardnerC

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
12:36 AM on 07/05/11
mattgoods
this is as social as I get now
User Info.
pleasant surprise, didn't realize this was coming out. big fan of their earlier ep.
02:37 AM on 07/05/11
vivatoto56
Nice Try, The Devil
User Info.
Did you ever listen to their first EP? The song Best Intentions is just fantastic. I hope there is a song that good on this release.
06:34 AM on 07/05/11
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
pleasant surprise, didn't realize this was coming out. big fan of their earlier ep.

Did you ever listen to their first EP? The song Best Intentions is just fantastic. I hope there is a song that good on this release.

I'm with both of: had no idea this was coming out, and I definitely enjoyed their first EP, gonna check this one out.
01:21 PM on 07/05/11
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
local boys. so good. first ep still plays on regular rotation
03:02 PM on 07/08/11
tylerschnizzle
Freelance Thinker
User Info.
shhh
10:09 AM on 07/11/11
joris182
User Info.
I love this EP. These guys are getting there.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests