AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.95
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.4
Creativity 7.8
Lasting Value 8.6
Reviewer Tilt 9.4
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday

Reviewed by: fuckyourscenes (07/06/11)
Taking Back SundayTaking Back Sunday
Record Label: Warner Bros
Release Date: June 28, 2011

When the original lineup of Taking Back Sunday officially announced their reunion, expectations grew for their new album…no, they skyrocketed. The Tell All Your Friends lineup that, let’s be honest, put together Taking Back Sunday’s best album, and of course, their signature album. But, the band quickly stated that their reunion was not meant to make a Tell All Your Friends - part two; it was surely disappointing at first, but we all get over it. Plus, the songs released prior to the album all were great. But, does Taking Back Sunday really live up?

“El Paso” kicks the album off, immediately reminiscing 2006’s Louder Now, as it’s just as loud and fast-paced as that collection of songs. Background screams throughout the chorus courtesy of John Nolan somewhat recall the old Taking Back Sunday, but the metallic riffs and strong production won’t allow it. In complete contrast, “Best Places to Be a Mom” is just as old-school as Taking Back Sunday get. It’s that Tell All Your Friends driving guitar, rough-vocal/clean-vocal exchange that we’ve all been waiting for since, well, 2002. It’s a strong, upbeat song with a huge chorus and is easily going to get stuck in the heads of many. Honestly, it's one of the best Taking Back Sunday songs written in a while.

But then you run into “Sad Savior," and it’s a little more mellow than the first three tracks. The chorus should make for a great sing-a-long, as “You don’t have to pretend to be an orphan anymore” is simple, yet catchy, and the overall feel is very put-your-hands-up-and-sway-esque. “Who Are You Anyway?” and “Money (Let It Go)” are both sort of a new territory for Taking Back Sunday, especially the former, which sounds like The Police. They still have that Taking Back Sunday sound, of course, as Nolan and Lazzara trade vocals throughout both tracks, but the bass line of “Money (Let It Go)” is very reminiscent of The Police. I’m not sure what “Who Are You Anyway?” reminds me of, but the drum pattern and guitars are seemingly new for Taking Back Sunday.

“This is All Now” is easily, without a doubt, my favorite song on Taking Back Sunday. To describe this song, think “You’re So Last Summer” but ten times more massive. The hook, the chorus, everything is just…huge. Even the lyrics recall old Taking Back Sunday: “Beneath your best intentions/at the heart of your convictions/sits a broken man that needs to understand.” The part around 2:50 that will make for an outstanding site, and it immediately picks back up with thundering drums and guitars that will blow you away. Two songs later comes the other bound-to-be Taking Back Sunday classic “Since You’re Gone.” It, too, is a mix of TAYF and Louder Now; you can almost hear the emotion pouring from Lazzara and Nolan as they belt out “I’m sorry, I’m sorry/Come back, come back/I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with myself” before the song abruptly stops after the second chorus and the piano takes over. It doesn't take long for the song to pick back up, and the piano quickly becomes a second instrument in the chorus. Power chords, finger picking and trade-offs between Lazzara and Nolan close the song on quite the high note.

Album closer “Call Me In the Morning” is a strong power ballad from Taking Back Sunday if there were to ever be one. It’s sure to challenge “New American Classic” for the trophy of Taking Back Sunday’s best “slow song.” It fuels on an overall smooth and relaxing acoustic guitar and mellow instrumentals all around before Nolan stresses his vocal chords to shell out some screams towards the end of “Don’t know where we’re going/but I know where we've been/we've been hiding from each other/we've been hiding from ourselves,” in a Dave Grohl tone. It’s a good song but a little weird to close with; it leaves on a slow note but also leaves you wanting more. So, I guess in that sense, it was a great song to close with. Iit would have been hard for any song to close off the album, though, and not leave you wanting more.

In reality, this is surely not Tell All Your Friends, but the elements are back, and it’s certainly no New Again - luckily. So, if you’re expecting either of those two, you can just not pick this. What you will be getting is a beautiful mix of everything in between and some new elements. The open, honest and simple lyrics that still manage to strike a nerve are back, and that’s because Nolan is now back to stress his voice for our pleasure. Did I mention everything is bigger, catchier and also very Taking Back Sunday-esque? No? Yes? Who cares - I just did. If this album is any indication of the future for Taking Back Sunday, you can color me interested and roll me in a puddle of fucking excitement because my love for this band has returned in its full form.

Recommended If You Like: Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends; Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now; Senses Fail - Still Searching

myspace.com/takingbacksunday

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
04:44 PM on 07/10/11
JimmyIymmiJ
Go on, give up, you'll never win...
User Info.
This is the first album from these guys that's grabbed my attention from top to bottom since Tell All Your Friends (which was definitely a grower for me back in the day). Not getting where all the hate for this comes from at all, but I pretty much agree with what you had to say!
10:52 AM on 07/11/11
SomethingClever
SomethingClever
User Info.
What police song does "Money" remind you of???
10:05 PM on 07/11/11
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
This is the first album from these guys that's grabbed my attention from top to bottom since Tell All Your Friends (which was definitely a grower for me back in the day). Not getting where all the hate for this comes from at all, but I pretty much agree with what you had to say!
Me either, honestly. It's definitely a solid comeback album for them.
10:06 PM on 07/11/11
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
What police song does "Money" remind you of???
Most of them, really. It's just got a very Police vibe to it, if you ask me.
05:02 AM on 07/12/11
JordanGee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The band have changed to much members and that has badly affected their music. But its still a valiant effort this album.
06:54 AM on 07/12/11
mattneric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Matt of Matt 'n Eric reviews this album at:
http://mattneric.wordpress.com/2011/...y-self-titled/
09:49 AM on 07/12/11
SomethingClever
SomethingClever
User Info.
yeah this matt and eric review is shorter and def more accurate in my opinion. good work.
11:56 AM on 07/12/11
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
The band have changed to much members and that has badly affected their music. But its still a valiant effort this album.
It definitely did with New Again, but I think they're on the right track now.
09:42 PM on 07/12/11
A Pilgrim
Destroy what you create.
User Info.
So much what you said here.

Great review, but I logged in just to say I feel exactly like JimmyIymmiJ.
08:00 PM on 07/18/11
Niko John
Music Lover
User Info.
Could never get into this band :/
04:31 PM on 07/19/11
Zookeeper156
Zookeeper156
User Info.
Its not TAYF,Its so much better! I love it!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests