AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Beer Hockey - 07.06.11

Interviewed by
Beer Hockey - 07.06.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Beer Hockey

Beerhockeychicago.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?
We all love to drink and watch hockey! But also it is a drinking game that we play with friends and other bands all around the globe. So we figured it'd be a good way for people to remember us.

2. How did this band get started?
The band was started by Justin Dodge and Nino Cutraro in the fall of 2009. We had been friends for a couple of years beforehand, and Nino had always mentioned bringing his drumset down from Michigan. One day he did, and we've been playing since then. We put out a Craigslist ad for a guitar player where we met Mark. We added bass player Danny Levy out of desperation to be quite honest. It was desperate because he didn't own or play a bass at the time. He's put in a lot of good work though and we are glad we chose him over any one else.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We are influenced by all bands in one way or the other. Some bands are really awesome and inspire us to play to their level. Other bands are terrible and inspire us to not be like them. It's all really a matter of who you are talking about. If we had to be specific though, not in any order: Periphery, Lower Definition, Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, As Tall As Lions. There are so many more, but those are just a few that come to mind.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We'd love to go on tour with The Doors. We feel like each show would never be the same with Jim Morrison.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
The food you can afford.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We just want people to enjoy themselves and enjoy the little things in life. Our music isn't polluted with typical or overdone lyrics or rhyming schemes. In fact, there aren't any lyrics. We want our music to be our voice. More can be said with music than with words.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I can't speak for the rest of the band, but I (Justin, who has been the one writing all this) would pick Michael Vick. Not because I feel like he's special or because of anything relating to dog fighting. But to me, he seems to be the only athlete that has grown up and really learned from the sport. As a younger player he was flashy and made a lot of terrible mistakes with his choices, money especially. He then dug himself into a hole that people never thought he'd climb back out of. However, just this last year he proved to everyone that he loves the game of football and will endure whatever it takes to keep playing it.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I could probably write a giant list now, but I'm sure as soon as I got on stage I wouldn't know where to begin! But I would start with family, friends, and fans.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I don't think the industry needs to change. I think people need to just wise up to how the industry really works. If one wants to truly understand the music industry, he or she has to seek further education on it. If anything, I'd change the classes in public school system to teach kids at a younger age about it. It's a pretty important part of everyones lives at this point in human history.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Haven't toured as a band exactly, but we'll never forget the house shows we've thrown at Nino's House.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's pretty awesome to have a resource like AP.net. Without websites like this and others like it, bands like us would never be heard.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
As a band we like to cover "I got five on it."

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Italy. Or wherever there is going to be a lot of beautiful women.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Danny and I are secretly into The Aquabats. At least I like to keep that a secret. Personally, I think of bands like Lower Definition and Pierce the Veil, because I grew up in the same town as those bands when they were at the point where Beer Hockey is now.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
X-ray vision. You know why.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We try to have a least one or two times in a show where we chug a beer while playing or in between playing.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That we are about to release our first EP August 31st.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Drink, play Hockey, anything Hockey/Sport related. We like to grill and chill as well.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Danny and I are male strippers at night.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
02:25 PM on 07/08/11
conorplayoffs
LITPO
User Info.
these dudes RULE

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles