AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Title Fight - Shed Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 7.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 77%
Inside AP.net

Title Fight - Shed

Reviewed by: Thatwouldbejon (07/08/11)
Title Fight - Shed
Record Label: SideOneDummy Records
Released Date: May 3, 2011

Kingston, Pennsylvania's Title Fight have matured their sound a bit for their newest (and first official full-length) release, Shed. One of the first things you'll notice about this CD, compared to other releases, is that it has a lot less feel-good lead guitar parts; itís more toned down in a melancholy sense than their previous work. That being said, some fans may be turned off that this album isn't just another exact release of The Last Thing You Forget (except with a new album title and song names). Needless to say, they still don't venture far from their original hardcore/pop-punk formula that all fans know and love. The album artwork for Shed also uses the same unique artistic style that The Last Thing You Forget did, and it almost reminds me of a 90s-era Nickelodeon cartoon.

The vocals on Shed stand out immediately. They showcase different, aged and more mature type of vocals when compared to other releases. Much like The Last Thing You Forget , Ned Russin (bass) and Jamie Rhoden (guitar) still do all of the singing, and itís still pretty 50/50 for vocal duties. The subject matter of the lyrics have also changed and matured quite a bit. One example would be "27,Ē a song about coping with death and accepting the reality of it. Another is the album-titled track "Shed," where Russin once said (at a show in Worcester) that itís about all the bands that jumped on the hardcore music bandwagon after it became popular in order to make money and plan on leaving as soon as the hype for it dies. Some of the lyrics in "Shed" include: "You're cold like the blood that runs through your veins/I've been told/There's a black spot next to your name/You can't seem to erase/Shed your skin, change your face/Find a better body to fit in."

Compared to The Last Thing You Forget, Shed has cleaner guitar parts and slow-tempo songs that one might not be accustomed to hearing from Title Fight. One example is "Safe in your Skin," which is a completely clean, almost post-rock sounding, song that features soft singing and flows right into the next track. One thing I love about Shed is that although only being a short-lived 27-minute record, the songs are more memorable than other albums double or triple that time length. One standout song from Shed, entitled "Stab," comes right from the veins of Title Fightís old style during their Kingston EP days. Though hard to choose, other standouts are "Flood of '72," "Your Screen Door," "27," "Crescent-Shape Depression" and "Shed."

Track list:
1. Coxton Yard
2. Shed
3. Flood Of '72
4. Society
5. You Can't Say Kingston Doesn't Love You
6. Crescent-Shaped Depression
7. Safe In Your Skin
8. Where Am I?
9. Your Screen Door
10. 27
11. Stab
12. GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)

Recommended If You Like: Hardcore/pop-punk; Set Your Goals; Transit; Me vs. Hero

myspace.com/titlefight

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
07:33 AM on 07/10/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Great record, I was pleasantly surprised when I first listened.
09:00 AM on 07/10/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Thanks for reviewing this.
I would've compared them to Basement and The Story So Far, though. Also, why does it have a 3%?
10:22 AM on 07/10/11
cwhit412
User Info.
I would've compared them to Basement and The Story So Far, though. Also, why does it have a 3%?
Cause the score isn't put in.
10:24 AM on 07/10/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Cause the score isn't put in.
Ah ok, got it. Thanks.
01:16 PM on 07/22/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Out of curiousity, why would you compare this to The Story So Far? I personally don't hear it at all.
02:28 PM on 07/22/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Out of curiousity, why would you compare this to The Story So Far? I personally don't hear it at all.
Have you heard old TF and older SOF?
02:31 PM on 07/22/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Have you heard old TF and older SOF?
I've heard old TF, oldest TSSF ice heard is While You Were Sleeping. But for this record, that would not fit the RIYL.
02:32 PM on 07/22/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I've heard old TF, oldest TSSF ice heard is While You Were Sleeping. But for this record, that would not fit the RIYL.
I was talking about the band itself in general sound...but, this record has more of a Small Brown Bike feel.
08:16 PM on 07/31/11
tlandry23
Jesus Of Suburbia
User Info.
i LOVE this record. Title Fights best work. Everyone needs to see this band live. Seen em Twice, Seeing them again in November
04:20 PM on 08/30/11
Bobby Markos
User Info.
This album is great, and fuck yeah to the band for writing an album that no one expected. More bands need to do that.
03:19 AM on 09/19/11
gilamunja
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Best thing I have heard all year, no doubt. Just sounds natural, a good progression from TLTYF.
One of the few bands I can trust to constantly put out good stuff
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums