Password

Album Review

Set Your Goals - Burning At Both Ends Album Cover

Set Your Goals - Burning At Both Ends

Reviewed by
Set Your Goals - Burning At Both Ends
Record Label: Epitaph
Release Date: June 28, 2011
This review is a user submitted review from Aziraphale. You can see all of Aziraphale's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
04:30 PM on 07/17/11
cowlord
( »\_(ツ)_/»)
User Info.
Pretty good review. I'd agree.
04:42 PM on 07/17/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
the riyl made me laugh.
04:52 PM on 07/17/11
cbronder1
Life Is Not A Waiting Room
User Info.
this is a more fair review than the last one
05:05 PM on 07/17/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
I agree with the general sentiment of the review, there's 6 awesome songs and the rest could've been a lot better, mostly due to lame production and regulating the drums so far back in the mix.

one thing that kinda bothered me about this review is that parts are hard to read because it looks like you went a little "thesaurus-crazy" and tried to fit as many big words in as possible. also no way in hell is "Cure For Apathy" the worst track on here. overall, good review though!
05:18 PM on 07/17/11
snowboarderkid
Registered Member
User Info.
Nice review
05:26 PM on 07/17/11
jonayy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
why is that product of the 80's not reviewed? such a bad song, but i wanted to see what everyone else though.
05:50 PM on 07/17/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with the general sentiment of the review, there's 6 awesome songs and the rest could've been a lot better, mostly due to lame production and regulating the drums so far back in the mix.

one thing that kinda bothered me about this review is that parts are hard to read because it looks like you went a little "thesaurus-crazy" and tried to fit as many big words in as possible. also no way in hell is "Cure For Apathy" the worst track on here. overall, good review though!

I really don't see any thesaurus-crazy portions, but if you can give me some examples I may take that into account.
05:51 PM on 07/17/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
why is that product of the 80's not reviewed? such a bad song, but i wanted to see what everyone else though.
What the hell - I totally had a paragraph on this song when I submitted this review. I'll put this section back in. Thanks for pointing it out, I probably never would have noticed if nobody had mentioned it.
06:05 PM on 07/17/11
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
I can't believe Im still waiting for this CD in the mail, Ive read so much about this record I feel like Ive already heard the thing ten times....
06:23 PM on 07/17/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
pretty good review but I really think this is a very solid album, and a great fun summer pop punk record that's catchy as fuck
06:24 PM on 07/17/11
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
I actually liked this. I wasn't sure what to think after listening to clips and reading reviews, but its a fun summer album. Nothing great but just something to put on during those hot summer days/nights.
07:15 PM on 07/17/11
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
While this is for sure the bad apple of the band's discography, I like the album. I hate "product of the 80's" plus the choruses of "Unconditional" and "Raphael" are immature and cringe worthy. Those choruses litterally kill the song for me.

For the most part; "London Heathrow", "Trenches", "The Last American Virgin", "Illuminated Youth", and my favorite track- "Not as Bad" are all solid.

The album is a grower and I too hope their next outing is a lot better.
07:39 PM on 07/17/11
Scholar
www.absolutepunk.net/scholarny
User Info.
I'm kind of confused at what you're talking about with the mixing and production in general, but I think the review is pretty spot on. It has in fact grown on me, despite the seemingly phoned in production value. But I think that usually happens with Brian M's recordings. I wonder if he mixed these, because he I believe he engineered and produced Thrice, but they were mixed/mastered out of salad days, which would explain the difference in sonic quality.
07:56 PM on 07/17/11
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I agree with the production. It definitely weakens the record. "Happy New Year" is my favorite song.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos