AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Red Sammy - 07.07.11

Red Sammy - 07.07.11

Interviewed by
Red Sammy - 07.07.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Red Sammy

http://www.redsammy.com

1. How did you get your band name?
The band name is a reference to Flannery O’Connor’s short story, “A Good Man is Hard to Find” (1955). In that story there is a minor character by the name of Red Sammy Butts.

2. How did this band get started?
Singer/songwriter, Adam Trice, formed the band in 2005. The band started as a duo with himself and female vocalist, Katie Feild. Trice now presents Red Sammy in various musical arrangements including solo, duo, and full-piece band performances. Most recently, the band is a five-piece act consisting of resonator guitar, acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, drums, and bass.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Red Sammy draws upon a variety of both literary and musical influences including Flannery O’Connor, Ernest Hemingway, Anton Chekhov, William Faulkner, William Carlos Williams, Gerald Stern, Tom Waits, Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen, Alejandro Escovedo, Frank Black, and Johnny Cash.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would like to tour with one of two bands: The Pixies (before they reunited) or Austin, TX-based songwriter, Alejandro Escovedo. He has been a huge influence on my songwriting over the years.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Yoohoo and pita chips. They keep you going and they are not the worst thing for you.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We play a special brand of music that I like to call "graveyard country." Graveyard country music is like a Jackson Pollock black pouring, or a Robert Motherwell elegy. It is imbued with Garcia Lorca’s duende: “black sounds are the mystery.” Gritty, stark storytelling. There’s a thread that runs through the music, from Hawthorne and Poe (fitting, since the band is from Baltimore), to Faulkner and Flannery O’Conner.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Being from Baltimore, I would change places with Cal Ripken, Jr. during his record breaking years.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would thank all of my friends, family, musician friends, and current band members for helping me to present my songs to their full potential.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I don't think it needs changing these days - everyone seems to get their music for free. Music is now so viral that anyone, anywhere can get hold of what an artist is doing. I guess if I could change one thing, it would be to tone down all this sound saturation in the world.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Playing a three-day underground music festival in Denver, CO back in 2009. Great times out west!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Keeping original music and artist's integrity intact.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
These days I really like performing the up-beat songs from the new album. I really enjoy playing our song called "It Ain't You" and "Rock Star." These songs describe the reality of being an original artist these days and the whole DIY experience: more miles than money, playing bars for gas money (if that), doing everything for the love of your music.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Outer Banks, NC.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Neil Diamond, Beach Boys, and honky tonk country. That's what my parents and aunts/uncles listened to.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I would choose to have the super power to make people be quiet during slow songs. That way, I can play all of my songs to only avid listeners.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Walk, walk, walk. Also, try not to think too much.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have a twin brother.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I think bands can flourish without the support of radio in the traditional sense. Everyone downloads to her/his iPod, iPhone, IPad, and other "i" devices. If a song is good, people will find it.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to take long hikes and go camping with my wife, Anna, and dog, Cooper.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm really good at talking myself out of a jam.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests