AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Mecury Prize Nominations Revealed

Posted by - 06:51 AM on 07/19/11
Head to the replies to see this year's list of nominees for the Mercury Music Prize.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
06:51 AM on 07/19/11
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
NomineesAdele ‘21’
Anna Calvi ‘Anna Calvi’
Elbow ‘Build a Rocket Boys!’
Everything Everything ‘Man Alive’
Ghostpoet ‘Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam’
Gwilym Simcock ‘Good Days at Schloss Elmau’
James Blake ‘James Blake’
Katy B ‘On a Mission’
King Creosote & Jon Hopkins ‘Diamond Mine’
Metronomy ‘The English Riviera’
PJ Harvey ‘Let England Shake’
Tinie Tempah ‘Disc-Overy’
06:57 AM on 07/19/11
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
no Bring me the Horizon, even though they won all the polls. I think it's a pretty fucking boring list this year and Adele should win.
07:11 AM on 07/19/11
The_Blackout94
Chances are, I'm injured
User Info.
Adele will win, obviously. I don't think she deserves it nor that she should. As much as I hate BMTH, it's a crime that they weren't nominated. List is pretty shitty this year though.
07:25 AM on 07/19/11
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Cannot believe that Everything Everything are nominated.
08:34 AM on 07/19/11
rr_thecrowing
twitter.com/kreeger
User Info.
I've made an Rdio playlist here, for those that want to listen to all the nominees: http://rd.io/x/QFugL0Hu5w
09:16 AM on 07/19/11
Indie Star TV
Mainstream Killed the Indie Star
User Info.
no Bring me the Horizon, even though they won all the polls. I think it's a pretty fucking boring list this year and Adele should win.

Agreed.
09:17 AM on 07/19/11
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
What polls out of interest?
10:07 AM on 07/19/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't that this year has a boring list AT ALL.

James Blake ‘James Blake’
Katy B ‘On a Mission
Metronomy ‘The English Riviera’
PJ Harvey ‘Let England Shake’
Tinie Tempah ‘Disc-Overy’
Elbow ‘Build a Rocket Boys!’
Everything Everything ‘Man Alive’
Ghostpoet ‘Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam’
Adele ‘21’

That is a majority of the list & those are some of my favorite records this year (Katy B & James Blake being the top two of my end of year list so far). Maybe you haven't listened to any of these records (if you haven't, you are REALLY missing out).
10:12 AM on 07/19/11
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
What polls out of interest?

The Guardian, NME and Kerrang (obviously), apparently people are outside Mercury HQ complaining, I just think it's all a bit dull, won't stop me putting a couple of quid on Metronomy at 20/1 though.
10:39 AM on 07/19/11
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
The Guardian, NME and Kerrang (obviously), apparently people are outside Mercury HQ complaining, I just think it's all a bit dull, won't stop me putting a couple of quid on Metronomy at 20/1 though.
Ah interesting, to be fair I don't think that the stuff that is nominated for this every year is stuff that is normally exclusively covered with the likes of NME and Kerrang. The Guardian, more so, but I don't think polls from those publications validate a place on this list. Fair play to their supporters protesting though if that is happening, that would feel even better for me than a win.
01:24 PM on 07/19/11
Plunk
Meccamputecht
User Info.
Yeah, because obviously a prize that is usually granted to indie artists (widely speaking) is gonna go to a trendy metalcore band whose fanbase mostly comprises slutty scene queens. Makes sense.
02:18 PM on 07/19/11
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Ah interesting, to be fair I don't think that the stuff that is nominated for this every year is stuff that is normally exclusively covered with the likes of NME and Kerrang. The Guardian, more so, but I don't think polls from those publications validate a place on this list. Fair play to their supporters protesting though if that is happening, that would feel even better for me than a win.

I don't know I would prefer the 20grand ha.
02:23 PM on 07/19/11
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Yeah, because obviously a prize that is usually granted to indie artists (widely speaking) is gonna go to a trendy metalcore band whose fanbase mostly comprises slutty scene queens. Makes sense.

I don't know if you are agreeing with me or being a facetious bellend, also Ms Dynamite, Dizzee Rascal and Speech Debelle in the last 10 years aren't really indie artists. There was no way BMTH would win it, but the nomination would be a victory in itself for the band, it's fans and the genre and I thought a nomination for them would be good.
02:38 PM on 07/19/11
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
I would be happy if Diamond Mine or James Blake won the Prize.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos