Password

Album Review

Chiodos - Illuminaudio Album Cover

Chiodos - Illuminaudio

Reviewed by
Chiodos - Illuminaudio
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: October 5, 2010
For countless bands, losing a singer has been a devastating hit to their popularity and ability to continue making music that got them to where they wanted to be. In most cases, a singer is the face of the band, image and music-wise. A singer is a listener’s first impression of a band. When Chiodos kicked out their polarizing and controversial front man, Craig Owens, it seemed like the post-hardcore outfit from Davison, Michigan, was bound for the same fate that so many bands have fallen into. While the musicians backing Owens have always put on a solid performance, surely losing one of the most popular and unique vocalists in the scene would prove too much to overcome, even with the quick-as-lightning shredding capabilities of guitarist Jason Hale and haunting piano melodies offered by keyboardist Bradley Bell. Skepticism towards the band’s new album didn’t stop when they introduced Owens’ replacement, former Yesterdays Rising vocalist Brandon Bolmer. While internet message boards went rampant over the departure of Owens, Chiodos went about quietly writing the best record of their careers and one of the best records of 2010.

Illuminaudio starts off with a quiet intro that gives a good indicator of the spectacular production found on the 12- track album. The intro leads right into the catchy opening drum beat of “Caves.” Any doubts about Bolmer’s singing abilities are smashed by the time the first chorus rolls around, and Tanner Wayne continues the ferocity of the drums that the verse built up. Bolmer doesn’t disappoint with his singing; he even outshines former vocalist Craig Owens when it comes to screams. Bolmer’s screams often sound thunderous and angry, something Owens never seemed to get right. Guitarist Jason Hale flexes his remarkable skills in “Love Is A Cat From Hell,” which features guest vocals from Pierce the Veil’s Vic Fuentes. The amusingly titled “Modern Wolf Hair” opens with booming gang vocals and brings on one of the most intense breakdowns Chiodos have ever written. The band then slows things down with a surefire fan favorite, “Notes in Constellations.” Written about dealing with the death of a loved one, “Notes” is the most beautiful and extravagant-sounding song the band has written. Bolmer’s vocals soar in the chorus backed by a consistent drum beat, slowed down guitar melodies and top-notch production.

The band continues to bring heat with the fast-paced “Scaremonger,” while “His Story Repeats Itself” and “Hey Zues! The Dungeon!” present a creepy, melodic feel that carries over into the zombie-themed, anthem-like chorus of “Those Who Slay Together, Slay Together.” The album ends with a continuation of the title-track intro and is highlighted by Bolmer asking, “When You Know That You Finally Made It/Can You Make Your Way Back, Make Your Way Back Home?”

Chiodos has done what many bands could never do: lose a singer and continue making great music. Not only does Brandon Bolmer show that he is a more than suitable replacement for Craig Owens; he takes Chiodos’ music to an entirely different level.

Recommended If You Like: Old Chiodos; Yesterdays Rising; great production

myspace.com/chiodos
This review is a user submitted review from PaperLantern. You can see all of PaperLantern's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
06:53 AM on 07/26/11
Spencer Control
you'll grow your soul away
User Info.
Great review. Craig could have continued to carry Chiodos, but I think overall Brandon was a step in a better direction. One thing I hated was that every scream sounds distorted.
12:32 AM on 07/27/11
PaperLantern
New Valencia in 2010!
User Info.
While I feel like Brandon's screams would sound better raw, I think the distorted sounding screams really fit the overall mood of the album.
12:45 PM on 07/27/11
breakwall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
churros > chiodos
12:59 AM on 07/30/11
Shaymojack
User Info.
While I feel like Brandon's screams would sound better raw, I think the distorted sounding screams really fit the overall mood of the album.
Definitely. I'm hoping for a more natural sound on the next album, but what they did definitely worked well on this one.
05:09 PM on 07/30/11
P_atdfreek34
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think Bone Pallace Ballet will always be the best album that Chiodos has ever realeased, im not a fan of this album, not because of the whole switch up i think Brandon Balmer deserves credit for putting an emotional and deep value into the songs, his screams arent the greatest ( raw or edited) but neither are many screamo artists now a days, i just hope that the next album will kick BPB's ass and push the bands new vocalist to his breaking point so we can see what he is like when he puts himself at the edge
02:08 PM on 07/31/11
Moderndisbelief
User Info.
I think for the pressure that was put on Brandon (following craig owens) i think he did solid as well as the band not changing there entire sound on this cd. Definitely looking forward to what these guys have in the future
05:26 PM on 08/01/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think Bone Pallace Ballet will always be the best album that Chiodos has ever realeased, im not a fan of this album, not because of the whole switch up i think Brandon Balmer deserves credit for putting an emotional and deep value into the songs, his screams arent the greatest ( raw or edited) but neither are many screamo artists now a days, i just hope that the next album will kick BPB's ass and push the bands new vocalist to his breaking point so we can see what he is like when he puts himself at the edge
Blech. I hate all the over-done theatrics of Bone Palace Ballet, this is a much more mature sounding record.
02:30 PM on 08/25/11
P_atdfreek34
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Blech. I hate all the over-done theatrics of Bone Palace Ballet, this is a much more mature sounding record.
we all have different opinions mine just happens to side with owens work at the moment nothing major but i think from coming from a band like Yesterday's rising were i loved the lyrics but the musicianship was a bit over played i was expecting him to fall right into place. Think of it this way, chiodos had a group of amazing musicians, get rid of the drummer and brin in Tanner wayne i think it is who is unbelievable at drums, and Brandom Bolmer who writes the most amazing lyrics and has an icredible voice on top of that, i was just expecting better on brandon's part with the lyrics, even though the band did a fonominal job with composing the melodies and harmonies, but im sure i will defintely buy the next album because i love chiodos no matter what, its only if they totally change the line up where i wil stop listening as long as they keep
Matt Goddard
Pat McManaman
Tanner Wayne
Brandon Bolmer
Jason Hale
Bradley Bell
im sure i will always listen to the band but he just needs to write more in depth emotionally attached lyrics the best song of the album was, Hey Zeus! The Dungeon in my opinion right next to caves, and stratomouth volcano
03:47 PM on 08/25/11
willfet1
stay thirsty my friends
User Info.
I honestly think this is Chiodos' best album, and I've been a fan since the Heartless control everything.. Bolmer really does seem to fit really well with the style they're headed in. Personally, I'm happy Craig left because this album was made, and I can get with DRUGS too... and yeah Hey Zeus is my favorite too.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos