AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Last Call - 07.11.11

Interviewed by: Jenny Tate (07/20/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Last Call

http://www.myspace.com/lastcallnv
http://www.facebook.com/lastcallnv

1. How did you get your band name?
Adam: When we finally completed our line-up and really started the band, we jammed a few times and decided it was time to name us. Nobody had any ideas right offhand, so we all made these lists of potential names. We got together one night in our ex-guitarist's bedroom and went around and each read a name. We put the ones we liked onto a new list and 86-ed everything else. How we ended on "Last Call" as the best name from 5 lengthy lists, to this day I still can't figure out...

2. How did this band get started?

Adam: Our original guitarist, Fidel, and I actually met on MySpace [R.I.P] through some mutual friends who were in another band at the time. We began jamming and knew there was something there. When those mutual friends heard what we were doing, they decided that they liked it more than their band and left to join up with us. Down the line, we replaced one of our guitarists with Ryan Stokke, who I have known since I started high school. Our singer informed us that an upcoming show with The Wonder Years would be his last. At that show, Austin Jeffers approached us about singing. We had him try out that week, and that was that. Immediately, our bassist quit. At this point, I thought our band was cursed. Austin mentioned that he had a friend that played guitar, and might want to play bass. The next practice, Tim Desagun came and jammed. Before we knew it, we had a full band again. Just as we were signing to Mightier Than Sword, Fidel bailed. We played as a 4-piece for quite awhile, wrote Stay On The Outside as a 4-piece, and even considered keeping it that way. Ultimately, we decided to maintain two guitars (sometimes I wish we even had three). Tim manned the guitar and we asked Lyle Brown to play bass for Last Call. That's an abridged version of both how Last Call started and how we came to the current incarnation of the band. It's been pretty nuts.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Adam: Obviously, I'm influenced by a ton of bands, but I think I'm more influenced by talented musicians regardless of the style of music they play.

Austin: Iíd have to agree with Adam. Itís hard to pinpoint where I draw influence from because Iím always moving my brain in different directions depending on what Iím listening to. I could be listening to Al Green one minute, and then be listening to Fucked Up the next. Itís all over the board for me.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Adam: H2O because of all the stagedives that would be had. Such Gold, again for the stagedives. I'd like to watch Devan play drums every night. He never ceases to amaze me. John Mayer would also be up there. He's one of my favorite musicians and absolutely hilarious. I'd have a 6-pack goin' on from laughing by the end of that tour.

Austin: Iíd love to go on tour with Glassjaw so I can watch them every night. Hot Cross would be so amazing or Boys Night Out! Maybe In Pieces or Modern Life is War. Elvis Costello would be a biggieÖor Converge.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Adam: CHICK-FIL-A!!!!!!!!!! We don't have one in Vegas, so I always search for the closest one in every city that we go to. For the record, I'd go to Chick-Fil-A over In-N-Out any day.

Austin: Anything but Mexican food. When the show gets out at 11:30 at night, those are the only places that are open in other cities (Las Vegas is 24hrs). Otherwise, I love 5 guys burgers - we donít have those in Vegas.

Adam: Actually, we have a few 5 Guys in Vegas. Thereís also a new one about to open by my house.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Austin: Itís hard for us to answer that. We just want to make music we love and we can only hope that someone finds some meaning in it. We keep it intense and mean what we do - hopefully thatís enough. :)

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Adam: These are the kinds of questions I love being asked in interviews! Hmmmm. Although I'm a devout LA Kings fan, I would have to say that I'd switch places with Sidney Crosby, who is captain of the Pittsburg Penguins. The dude is one year older than me and already has a very impressive professional hockey career, one that many seasoned players don't even attain. Not to mention that he's ridiculously talented. He's received numerous awards (both NHL & Pre), an Olympic gold medal (2010; Team Canada), and a Stanley Cup. Me? Well, I sleep in a van.

Austin: Brett Favre so I can get back into the league and redeem myself. Or Adrian Peterson - the man is a bulldozer.

8. If you won a Grammy, whom would you thank?
Austin: I think we'd thank our families and all the people who got us this far. Then we'd wonder how the hell we got a Grammy in the first place. Then I suppose Iíd wake up.

Adam: We wouldnít have time to thank anyone. Weíd be too busy running, because itís obvious that it wouldíve been stolen.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Austin: We all believe that bands shouldn't be focusing on sitting in front of their social networking sites trying to get their band to the "next level.Ē Donít get me wrong - we LOVE the internet and what it provides us. But, on more than one occasion, Iíve heard bands (who arenít much more than 2 weeks or 2 practices old) talk about how they will get touring after they get signed. What happened to touring, to breaking your back and bank accounts to go live a dream? Itís the most amazing part of being a musician. Itís what makes you understand that success is for those who truly care about their art and are willing to bleed for it. We love the blogs and websites that support us and having the ability to give our music to the world through a small click of a site, but our hearts and souls are always going to be in touring. Donít forget what makes punk rock special. Go buy a van and hit the road!

Adam: On that note, I think that through touring and really working hard for what youíve got, or where you want to be, you really appreciate what youíve got. You learn not to take anything for granted.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Adam: We have had A TON of awesome experiences from all of the tours that we've done. I actually feel really blessed for such awesome experiences. So, it's kind of shitty that the first one to come to my mind when reading this is one of the only negative ones we've ever had. It was actually really funny for 6/7 of the people in our van on that tour. We were somewhere in the northwest (Washington, I believe) at a Wal-Mart before starting our drive for that day. Our then guitarist hadn't been talking to us for a few days and was only signing and mouthing words to us. If you've ever met us, you know we like to mess around with each other and give each other hard times about things. Naturally, this case was no exception. He went into the store with the van key and came out without it. The van was borrowed, and we only had one key. When we told him to go back in and find it, he did. He came back out, punched the window and threw the key in the van. Immediately, he began screaming at us at the top of his lungs. Ironically, he was screaming about how painful it was for him to talk. After everything settled, we started driving and he laid with his face in his pillow for the remainder of the drive. The looks that we were all giving each other in the mirrors and the texts going back and forth were hysterical. Fortunately, the positives and the funny stories that came from that experience far outweigh the negatives. We got home from tour and didn't see him for about a monthÖ He's not in the band anymore.

Austin: I always laugh when I think about our first week of our first tour A.K.A. SICK WEEK. Tim and I got really brutally sick in San Luis Obispo at our dear friend Stuart's house. Tim and I were both laid up in a single bed, sweating and whimpering. We both kept getting up every hour to take a hot shower, and I canít speak for Tim, but I would just lay on the ground of the shower and sob some more. So while it was really shitty at the time, now the mental image of me laying on the floor of Stuartís bathroom's shower floor... sobbing, is actually quite funny. Our tour stories are kind of sad...

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Adam: Although I've seen readers shine light on "lazy and uninspired" people with "less than sustainable business models," I think that AP typically trumps all other music sites. It's super informative, supportive and non-discriminating. I think that's the most important thing about the site. Personally, I follow it in all of its forms and visit the website multiple times a day.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Adam: All of our songs are fun for me to play for different reasons. My favorites are "Long Distance" and "This Place" because I love all of my vocal parts in the songs. I just generally get to have the most fun with those songs.

Austin: I love playing "Old News." Weíve yet to play it live in its true finalized studio version. That excites me because it still has some fresh experience in it. Itís like we donít know where we need work on it or if weíve "got it down" live. Itís fun getting to take something apart and prepare it for the stresses of playing it in front of people.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Adam: Of the places that I've been, my favorite would have to be Hawaii or New York City. At the top of my list of places that I'd really like to visit (hopefully soon), I've got London, Australia & good ole' Nashville, TN. I've got a soft spot for country jams.

Austin: Puerto Rico: Itís a beautiful place with amazing people and culture. AlsoÖall the greasy, amazing, fatty foods you could ever want! I mean, their main condiment is a MAYOKETCHUP mix! COME ON! Love it.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Adam: Sir Elton John. He was always playing in my Dad's car growing up. I love his music to this day.

Austin: Peter Gabriel, ENYA & Marvin Gay. My mom is a hip ass lady. I can thank her everyday for my love of music.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Austin: I think I should handle this question seeing as how a big part of my lifeblood is comics. Iíd have to say the power of magnetism. Iíve dissected this time and time again, but Magneto has it all simply by having control of metals and magnetism. He can fly, lift amazingly heavy objects...and then throw them at you! He can make a God look like a punk (Thorís hammer... guess what... metal)! Hell, he even caused Wolverine to cancel out his own regenerative powers by ripping the adimantium from his skeleton. Lastly, as shown in Ultimatum, he can even flip the worldís magnetic poles, thus shifting Earthís axis...Címon guys...Thatís real power.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Adam: StretchÖor I'll die.

Austin: Vocal warm-ups, stretching, a red bull, and the racing mantra from "Cool Runnings."

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Adam: I hate "The Rescuers."

Austin: I have a patch of hair on my back that looks like the letters "AH". Otherwise, my back is hairless. Yes, I knowÖcool.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Adam: The only time I even hear (not even listen to) the radio is when I'm at work, and that's only background noise being drowned out by my iTunes. I'd like to think that anyone who's given the chance to flourish through radio play would do so. But honestly, I don't think that's the case. I think the people that come out to our shows (and support bands doing the same thing as us) and hear about us through other resources, be it word-of-mouth, at a show, through other bands, or whatever, are the ones who really appreciate us for what we are. Then again, I could be totally wrong.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Adam: I really enjoy playing (and watching) hockey. This off-season is killing me. I'm actually going to a pre-season LA Kings game in Vegas a few days before we leave for our tour in October. I love traveling, and don't get to do near enough of it (outside from touring, obviously). I like to hang out at home a lotÖand eat.

Austin: I read a lot, play Warhammer 40K, paint my Warhammer models, play videogames, read comics, and play guitar. Thereís a drum set at my house, so Iíve been trying to get my skills up on that too. Las Vegas is a 24hr place, so I like to go out and visit local bars with my friends. I donít drink, so Iím usually the designated driver, which is always funny.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Adam: None. I'm pretty open about myself, and I'm not talentedÖunless sarcasm is a talent. I like to think it is.

Austin: Iím decent at soccer and back rubs (strong hands from working in a sheet metal sign fabrication shop). Also, I weld pretty well.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT