Password

Album Review

Kaddisfly - Set Sail The Prairie Album Cover

Kaddisfly - Set Sail The Prairie

Reviewed by
KaddisflySet Sail The Prairie
Released March 6th, 2007
Hopeless/Sub City

There’s a lot to be told with Kaddisfly and Set Sail The Prairie, and it doesn’t take multiple times through to get it. It does, however, take an inquisitive first listen. You must, at least in my experience, take Set Sail The Prairie in a full, bear hug snoop. You must pay attention to every little detail, every intentional or subconscious pass at imagery, or every silky transition from track to track. If you allow Kaddisfly to envelope you into its natural concepts and feelings, Set Sail The Prairie becomes more than just a prog/post-hardcore release. It becomes experiential and swift. It becomes clever and a lot more organized than the previous Hopeless melting pot, Buy Our Intention; Well Buy You A Unicorn.

The concept of the album revolves around natural themes. Twelve of the 14 tracks are titled for specific months of the year, and the intro, “Summer Solstice,” starts of with the line I am the blade of grass trembling in the breeze affected by the surroundings. After the first track, Kaddisfly swoops into the leading lady “Campfire” without a blemish. It’s a good and telling sign of what to expect from now on; Set Sail’s primary selling point (for me) is in its instinctive shifts through tempos and layers. Take, for example, “Waves” into “Harbor.” “Waves” begins with an electronic throbbing that simulates ocean-like finery. The song transitions into a sharp exposition of riffs before collecting into a different, snappier beat. After a quick pause, Kaddisfly moves into “Harbor,” another seaboard tone with airborne guitars and midway piano trinklets. Between these two tracks, Kaddsifly stretches their wings (or gills) into a mobile melody.

What makes Set Sail flow so well are two things: its Latin underpanties and the similarities between tracks. From “Birds” to “Empire,” Kaddisfly recalls melodic lines from the former into the latter. Techniques as such whirl and circulate the organic, almost tribal, flow of the album and give it flavor. Even on a shuffle, Set Sail The Prairie smooths into the grain of its own rhythm. “Snowflakes” starts thrashy, goes contemplative, reverts back to thrashy, and ends nostalgic in a showoff of changeovers, sort of like an Animorph. But what’s really great about this bouquet of styles is that you may think I am completely wrong. That’s the beauty of open interpretation.

From the studio to my stereo, Set Sail The Prairie’s post-recording sheen echoes and fills just as naturally as the flow – no robots here, my friend. Lyrically, I was more than surprised, especially after the pirating escapades on “Mercury.” Like I said before, Kaddisfly is so much more clever than they give off in passing. Only if your umpire mitt is ajar will you catch it all.

Vocalist Chris Ruff dines his strong/soft whine. Under normal, boring circumstances, his chords would probably annoy me. Instead, his vibrato ricochets so well against the open meanings of the arrangements that he completes the bigger picture. Ruff isn’t just a singer; he’s another instrument. The rest of the Kaddisfly crew is in the zone with their musical counterparts, and like the album’s concept, the guitar work and percussion are organic and inherent. The similar melodies that course throughout lose their definitive, significant flavor around the last couple tracks, but that’s only because it’s been a long, tolling journey on my imagination anyway. I am stuffed with progressive-ness. One more serving and I might explode.

RIYLCirca Survive, Deas Vail, Moneen
Check It OutAP Profile | Myspace | Website
This review is a user submitted review from Julia Conny. You can see all of Julia Conny's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
12:20 PM on 05/11/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Listen to some tracks off of Set Sail The Prairie on Kaddisfly's AP Profile.
12:23 PM on 05/11/07
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
this band is great, and has beautiful lyrics.
12:23 PM on 05/11/07
BuyMyIntention
cheese monger
User Info.
lyrics 8.5?

Read them again.
12:26 PM on 05/11/07
BuyMyIntention
cheese monger
User Info.
Actually nevermind. You did say nice things about them.

... chris' words are a ten in my book.
12:28 PM on 05/11/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
This review pwns mine. Very well done, I always look forward to reading your reviews.
12:32 PM on 05/11/07
ArmaniMassacre
Death Defying Musician
User Info.
great review for a great band....good job, Julia.
12:40 PM on 05/11/07
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
Actually nevermind. You did say nice things about them.

... chris' words are a ten in my book.
ditto
12:41 PM on 05/11/07
Un'Aria Ancora
The best happiness money can buy.
User Info.
I love this cd, great review. Most bands are having are hard enough time just getting a great record out, these guys did that with a great theme to tie it all together. (y) (y)
12:43 PM on 05/11/07
AdamTheGreat
Roar!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really did enjoy this review. Most of the time I read reviews to hear what someone who is much better with their words thought about it. I have heard alot of good things about Kaddisfly so I decided to read the review for any sort of hint as to why it may or may not be down my alley. I think any band would have loved their review to be like this one. I'm going to definetly check these guys out when I get home. I hope to fall in love.
12:56 PM on 05/11/07
punkrawkgoddess
User Info.
Definitely one of the best albums of 2007.
12:58 PM on 05/11/07
[Mike]
making waves.
User Info.
Such a great album, I'd give this a 9.5 for sure.
01:27 PM on 05/11/07
alexasunshine
Alexa Sunshine
User Info.
Love this album. They're great live. Hey Julia, since classes are over and summer is starting I hear Taco Bell screaming our names? :)!
01:33 PM on 05/11/07
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
I was just listening to this album. So fucking good.
01:57 PM on 05/11/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
sucks that this leaked so early. I thought it was decent.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos