Username
Password

07:26 PM on 08/07/11 
User Info.
forevernever01
Charleston, WV
Female - 23 Years Old
My orientation was two years ago...

Anyway, at mine, from what I remember, they split us into five groups in no specific order, then from that we went to different stations throughout the day, getting our ID photos taken, being separated by major for scheduling, listening to lectures, etc. The whole process started at 8:30 and was over by noon. Followed by lunch then an optional campus tour which I ditched.

At my orientation I met one of my best friends, who as of last week is now my roommate at my first apartment. She's the only one I met at orientation that I still talk to. I don't think anyone else I met there even remembers I exist.

Last year as an addition to orientation my school started a Week of Welcome, which is three days before classes start and the freshmen have to sit through even more lectures and stuff. Luckily I didn't have to do that...but I'm volunteering for it this year so I can get a free tshirt and $50 giftcard.
09:07 PM on 08/07/11 
User Info.
$eth
Life's a Joke. Laugh at it.
Eugene, Or
Male - 21 Years Old
What's a college orientation? Is that like an induction day? I'm English and we don't have 'college orientations' haha (we have open days where you can visit the university before applying and then we also have freshers week, which is basically your first week at uni, but there's no lessons).

It's an event that schools hold for incoming freshman. It's so you can meet people, get your schedule, and learn other somewhat necessary information. Our high schools also have orientations.
11:43 AM on 08/08/11 
User Info.
suburbn_thrills
@thejenzink
New Jersey
Female - 25 Years Old
Really? That's awesome! I'm actually considering being an orientation leader once I figure out how, haha. And I had Kristin Yu as my OL

Okay nice, I know her. Glad that you enjoyed it! If you like them on Facebook they post the hiring info/application when it's available...it usually goes up around October I believe and interviews are in November. I'm totally jealous that you're just starting...I wish I was toooo!
05:23 PM on 08/08/11 
User Info.
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
Really? That's awesome! I'm actually considering being an orientation leader once I figure out how, haha. And I had Kristin Yu as my OL
I'm gonna try to be an orientation leader at my school too! Applications are in October for me, and I'm hoping that I can be one
08:38 PM on 08/08/11 
User Info.
luckyforsome
I call people bozo now.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Female - 21 Years Old
My orientation sucked because it was raining and like half of it was outside, so I was cold and miserable all day and my hair turned into a fro.
06:55 AM on 08/09/11 
User Info.
_bluestOCT
Are you my trouble?
New Jersey
Female - 21 Years Old
I'm gonna try to be an orientation leader at my school too! Applications are in October for me, and I'm hoping that I can be one
A little nervous about the interview portion, but hopefully I can get past that. Good luck sir!

Okay nice, I know her. Glad that you enjoyed it! If you like them on Facebook they post the hiring info/application when it's available...it usually goes up around October I believe and interviews are in November. I'm totally jealous that you're just starting...I wish I was toooo!
Thanks! Just did, now to wait for October to roll in...I can't wait to be finished! Let's switch places, haha.
02:17 PM on 08/10/11 
User Info.
Dystroxia
A little nervous about the interview portion, but hopefully I can get past that. Good luck sir!

Thank you! Good luck to you too!

Do you know how many people are on the orientation staff at your school?

On a side note, I definitely thought I quoted you yesterday, but I guess not haha
02:47 PM on 08/10/11 
User Info.
_bluestOCT
Are you my trouble?
New Jersey
Female - 21 Years Old
Thank you! Good luck to you too!

Do you know how many people are on the orientation staff at your school?

On a side note, I definitely thought I quoted you yesterday, but I guess not haha

Hmm, site says atleast 50 people are in OL staff here.
Sounds like a decent amount, I think I have a good chance of getting in there. How about yours?
03:59 PM on 08/10/11 
User Info.
Dystroxia
Hmm, site says atleast 50 people are in OL staff here.
Sounds like a decent amount, I think I have a good chance of getting in there. How about yours?

About 40 from what I counted on the postcard my leaders sent me

I really wanna be on it! I can only hope for the best
06:22 AM on 08/11/11 
User Info.
_bluestOCT
Are you my trouble?
New Jersey
Female - 21 Years Old
About 40 from what I counted on the postcard my leaders sent me

I really wanna be on it! I can only hope for the best

Same! Look at us, just starting out in college and already planning on giving back to our schools.
We are tooo good
I'mma check up on you in October.
04:00 PM on 09/27/11 
User Info.
Dystroxia
Same! Look at us, just starting out in college and already planning on giving back to our schools.
We are tooo good
I'mma check up on you in October.

Hey! I'm quoting you because at my school, the online applications for Student Orientation Staff are gonna be available tomorrow and I can't wait to fill it out!

I hope you're still interested in being in an orientation leader!
04:07 PM on 09/27/11 
User Info.
_bluestOCT
Are you my trouble?
New Jersey
Female - 21 Years Old
Hey! I'm quoting you because at my school, the online applications for Student Orientation Staff are gonna be available tomorrow and I can't wait to fill it out!

I hope you're still interested in being in an orientation leader!

Ah yes, you remembered Go get em' tiger!

I've "liked" my school's New Student Orientation organization on Facebook, but still no update as to when or even how they're gonna be accepting applications. Kinda worried, but I figure I'll find out some way or another. Maybe I'll pester them about it tomorrow, haha. Good luck!
04:18 PM on 09/27/11 
User Info.
Dystroxia
Ah yes, you remembered Go get em' tiger!

I've "liked" my school's New Student Orientation organization on Facebook, but still no update as to when or even how they're gonna be accepting applications. Kinda worried, but I figure I'll find out some way or another. Maybe I'll pester them about it tomorrow, haha. Good luck!

Thank you! I hope that I can be on SOS. In fact, I care more about that than my own fraternity haha

Yeah, the more you "bother" them (probably not the right word), the more concerned and passionate you are for wanting to be on the staff, so having those mentalities are always a good thing! Good luck to you too!
04:48 PM on 09/27/11 
User Info.
_bluestOCT
Are you my trouble?
New Jersey
Female - 21 Years Old
Thank you! I hope that I can be on SOS. In fact, I care more about that than my own fraternity haha

Yeah, the more you "bother" them (probably not the right word), the more concerned and passionate you are for wanting to be on the staff, so having those mentalities are always a good thing! Good luck to you too!

If they don't choose you, I'll be surprised. You seem like a very charismatic fella.

And yeah, "bother" probably wasn't the right word...inquire? Hm, yes. I will inquire about how to become an orientation leader. Keep me posted!
05:58 PM on 09/27/11 
User Info.
Dystroxia
If they don't choose you, I'll be surprised. You seem like a very charismatic fella.

And yeah, "bother" probably wasn't the right word...inquire? Hm, yes. I will inquire about how to become an orientation leader. Keep me posted!

I'll be surprised too! I completed an incredible weight loss, I earned a two-year perfect-attendance award in high school, and I have never been suspended from school before, and all of these things can help me be a leader!

Yeah, inquire is a better word haha. I will definitely let you know how it goes for me! You better do the same

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos