AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
 
Album Review
 
On the Last Day - Meaning in the Static Album Cover

On the Last Day - Meaning in the Static

Reviewed by
4.8
On the Last DayMeaning In the Static
Release Date: August 22nd 2006
Record Label: Victory

On the Last Day hail from Seattle and play a stale and played out form of ‘goth screamo,’ that got them signed to Victory Records due to their connection with Aiden. While the bands musical style, location, and fashion sense weren’t enough, they also had their debut EP and this full length produced by Steve Carter; the same guy who worked on Aiden’s first two full-length, and to top it off Aiden vocalist Wil Francis sang on their EP. So while based on that you could easily write off On the Last Day, the band still had some promise.

The key word in that last sentence is ‘had.’ On the Last Day’s debut EP wasn’t overly impressive, but for the bands style, it worked. It wasn’t overly cliché, it wasn’t played out, and it didn’t rely on screaming to make its point. However, somewhere between their debut EP and their first full length, “Meaning in the Static,” the band took a sudden nosedive leaving a mess of an album, even though there still is a little bit of potential remaining.

The band’s title track, “Meaning in the Static” relies more on singing then screaming and manages to be a rather catchy song somewhere in between of Aiden and Atreyu. However, that’s one song and the rest can’t keep up the pace. “The Citadel” opens with an opening that finds itself nearly identical to “Meaning in the Static,” which is a problem that shows up way to frequently. The fact that the twelve tracks seem to all steal at least one part from another song makes the album blend together so badly that the songs sound identical and lack any form of separation whatsoever. Due to the albums tedious experience, it makes their full length easily disposable. Not only that, but the bands decision to have Geoffrey sing more than scream, while stopping their image at black dyed fringes, will sadly keep the band from appealing to some of its potential fan base.

“Meaning in the Static” could use some separation on the songs and a few innovative ideas, but as it is, it’s just another cookie cutter, generic ‘goth screamo’ album. If they find themselves abandoning their Aiden influence and upping their occasional Atreyu influence, while upping the musicianship, they might have a chance to write an album worth a listen or two.
This review is a user submitted review from crazytoledo. You can see all of crazytoledo's submitted reviews here.
 
Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
06:50 PM on 05/14/07
#2
lilRIPsta
Registered User
Offline
User Info.
lilRIPsta's Avatar
eh i didnt think this was 48% bad. i mean, they arent a great band at all and this isnt a great cd, but its like something thatll keep you occupied for a weekend when theirs nothing to listen to
02:57 PM on 05/15/07
#3
holaamigo
tXc
Offline
User Info.
holaamigo's Avatar
id have to disagree with a majorty of the review except for the last few sentences.
05:15 AM on 05/16/07
#4
OhYuhImFierce
Registered User
Offline
User Info.
OhYuhImFierce's Avatar
I wish I could rate this in the negative percentages.
08:21 AM on 05/22/07
#5
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
Offline
User Info.
hxchairstylist's Avatar
this review was 52 percent shit. the other 48 percent? pretty shitty.
08:23 AM on 05/22/07
#6
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
Offline
User Info.
hxchairstylist's Avatar
oh, and the release date wasn't halloween. that was aiden. maybe you got too caught up in your comparison's and forgot to check facts?
08:24 AM on 05/22/07
#7
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
Offline
User Info.
hxchairstylist's Avatar
it was august 22nd 2006.
11:35 AM on 05/26/07
#8
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
Offline
User Info.
crazytoledo's Avatar
it was august 22nd 2006.

I corrected it.

If I remember correctly, that was the original release date and it switched with Four Letter Lie's release date.

But I don't remember.
03:39 PM on 05/26/07
#9
Aneurisms07
Registered User
Offline
User Info.
Aneurisms07's Avatar
Agreed. Good Review.
08:53 PM on 11/25/08
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
Offline
User Info.
Matthew Tsai's Avatar
oh, and the release date wasn't halloween. that was aiden. maybe you got too caught up in your comparison's and forgot to check facts?

lol. i'm going to assume your music tastes have changed here in 2008 as i'm typing this

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos
HIDDEN TREASURES
AbsolutePunk Podcast
Free Music
Sports Forum
Technology Forum
Recommendations
INFORMATION
Advertising
Contact Us
Copyright Policy
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
FOLLOW
Twitter | Facebook | RSS
PropertyOfZack
UnderTheGun
Purevolume
Chorus.fm | @jason_tate