AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 10
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.55
Musicianship 9.3
Lyrics 10.2
Production 10.13
Creativity 10.11
Lasting Value 10.04
Reviewer Tilt 10.14
Average: 99%
Inside AP.net

Death Cab For Cutie - Plans

Reviewed by: anamericangod (05/16/07)
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans

So it's late, I can't sleep, I've been carousing the site and I noticed "Hey! There's no review for Death Cab's 'Plans'!" So, here I go.

I'm gonna admit I'm not a huge indie kid who immediately falls at the feet of whatever trendy artist or group pops out with a new album. That being said, the older Death Cab albums were alright. They don't get constant rotation these days for me, but I do enjoy a track or two occasionally. Transatlanticism is where I was hooked. I will probably write a review of that if I feel so inclined.

Anyways, Plans came out in mid 2005 and I didn't listen to it at all. In my mind there was no way it could compare to Transatlanticism. I was still playing that album as if it had just come out. Eventually I broke down, bit by bit, and I started to take in Plans. There was a girl I would call fairly regularly, and instead of a normal ring, I would get one of those ringback tones. The first time I heard the song, I thought to myself, "Shit, this is so familiar. Guy with a higher pitched somewhat whiny voice singing something about a faucet."

"Marching Bands of Manhattan" is a beautiful introduction to the album. The song is just crafted wonderfully and is definitely one of my favorite tracks on the album. This is also a shining example of why I have to give the lyrics a 10. Gibbard's way with words and painting imagery is just completely top notch. Also, upon first listen, one can't really tell if this is a sad song or a happy song. Maybe happy isn't the right word, but you know what I mean.

"Soul Meets Body" is probably what the band is most well known for with maybe one or two exceptions. I find it hard not to tap my foot while listening to this one. Really solid track with some charming vocals.

"Summer Skin" is pretty emo but finds a way to retain a lot of sincerity. It's a very simple song, but after seeing it live I have a much greater appreciation for it.

"I Will Follow You Into The Dark" is one of those songs where sometimes you'll be listening to it with a girl and she'll be all "Aww, he's talking about dying! How sweet!" Sure thing baby, but dying sucks. Gibbard makes it sound maybe not so awful if you've got that special someone with you.

"Your Heart Is An Empty Room" is a masterpiece in my opinion - from the instrumentation, to the structure, to the vocals, and especially the lyrics. This is a great track to put onto a mixtape, and I believe it is one of Death Cab's more underrated and "unknown" tracks.

"Someday You Will Be Loved" reminds me of my ex girlfriend post breakup, so I don't really have much to say about it. Pretty good song, not my favorite. Seems to be written for a sad girl who more than likely wasn't very attractive and got dumped so the boy could bang her hot friend. Teehee.

"Crooked Teeth", oh me oh my. What a track. And the video? Wild. Random cardboard robots singing Death Cab songs. Brilliant. Catchy song, addictive chorus.

"What Sarah Said" is my favorite song on the album. The piano introduction is gorgeous. The other instruments coming in and building up is terrific. The lyrics are heart breaking and yet very easy to relate to assuming you've been in a situation like he is describing. The breakdown in the end is a perfect finish to the track. Listening to Gibbard say "So who's going to watch you die" over and over is completely haunting. 6 minutes of Death Cab at it's finest.

"Brothers on a Hotel Bed" and "Stable Song" are also solid tracks, albeit not my favorite. I think they could have found a better closer to the album. "Stable Song" feels like it belongs in the middle portion of the album, if not sooner. Nevertheless, I'm not complaining.

This album is just plain good. It's not entirely a new direction, nor is it groundbreaking, but it is executed damn near flawlessly. If you're a fan of Death Cab, you must own this, and you probably already do. If you like music, and don't just listen to Panic!, Fall Out Boy, Nickleback, or The Pussycat Dolls, get this album. Now.

As for this being as good as Transatlanticism....hmmm.....

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
02:29 AM on 05/16/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
A lot of voice in this review/your writing style.
10:09 AM on 05/16/07
gnp8472
sever your leg please
User Info.
i like the track by track analysis, and agreed it is NOWHERE near Transatlanticism.

but to say that transatlanticism is higher than a 94 rating is stretching it, and this album is (imo) nowhere near a 94

the lyrics are not a 10. they are in a 9 range... id prolly do 9.25, 9.5... but not 10. Soul Meets Body and Someday You Will Be loved to me weaken the lyrical content.

i love the musicianship, but i would prolly put it at 9.25... its nothing advancing the deathcab sound... its brilliant, but its nothing groundbreaking like a 9.75 should be.

thats all my opinion, its meaningless hahaha.

but aright review.
12:47 PM on 05/16/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
This was a pretty fun review to read. Props.
03:02 PM on 05/16/07
mortal soldier
User Info.
Plans is alright, but Transatlanticism is one of the best cds of the past ten years.
05:04 PM on 05/16/07
optimus_prime
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like how not being a bandwagon jumper was an admission
08:38 PM on 05/16/07
Tony Sinclair
User Info.
Plans is alright, but Transatlanticism is one of the best cds of the past ten years.

My knee jerk reaction was to disagree about Transatlanticism being in that category. But then I took a minute to think of my favorite albums in that time and I realized you are absolutely right. Plans took some work for me to get into. It's really grown on me based on the strength of a handful of very strong tracks, but to me it's just a notch below Transatlanticism.
09:18 PM on 05/16/07
anamericangod
User Info.
i like how not being a bandwagon jumper was an admission

i was just trying to say that i don't immediately get down on my knees and suck the dick of whatever seems to be the current cool thing to be a fan of. i've seen so many douche bags be all up on Death Cab just because it became the big indie band to love, kinda like The Shins...
08:29 PM on 05/17/07
Ailite
one bright dusk
User Info.
I love Plans, but Transatlanticism is the all time favorite. I'd love to see them top it one day.
10:23 PM on 05/20/07
heartsynapse
throwing punch after punch
User Info.
You have a lot of interesting opinions, but if you want your review to be more professional, I would avoid using first person ("I" and others). Just a suggestion.
07:25 PM on 06/02/07
anamericangod
User Info.
You have a lot of interesting opinions, but if you want your review to be more professional, I would avoid using first person ("I" and others). Just a suggestion.

yeah man i thought the same thing after i wrote it. i was just winging it for a first time sort of a thing. definitely am putting that into consideration for the next one i write. thanks.
12:06 PM on 12/02/08
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
why is there no review of Transatlanticism on here? there should be but i am just too lazy to write it.
10:28 AM on 04/02/09
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
the beginning of the review for this album, and the beginning of the review for Trans start off exactly the same.
11:32 AM on 10/05/11
jacknile
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is the only album I've been able to give tens all across the board.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests