AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Victorious Cast feat. Victoria Justice - Victorious Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 8
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.17
Production 5.58
Creativity 3.58
Lasting Value 3.96
Reviewer Tilt 6.17
Average: 49%

Victorious Cast feat. Victoria Justice - Victorious

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (08/02/11)
Victorious Cast feat. Victoria Justice Victorious: Music from the Hit TV Show
Record Label: Sony Music Distribution
Release Date: August 2nd, 2011

Victorious
is one of the most recent offerings from the kids-to-late-teens station Nickelodeon, and arguably the best yet (or at least in the past 7 years). Created by television mastermind Dan Schneider, you know from just that tidbit of info that it's good. How good? Considering this guy was responsible for All That and Kenan & Kel (ya know, your childhood in a nutshell?), it's one of the shows that kids now are lucky to grow up with, seeing as they've seemingly missed the golden era of pre-teen television. Not to mention, Victoria Justice is basically the epitome of perfection and my heart flutters/melts/deteriorates with happiness at even the sight of her name. All of that wrapped up along with an official soundtrack of pop hits make for the show to be a pretty relevant piece of entertainment.

In comparison to Schneider's previous sitcoms, Victorious centers around a theme that's primarily musically based, offering a performance or two of original songs with each episode. Unlike their Disney predecessors, the performers on Victorious don't have voices that sound like they're drinking liquid sandpaper while gargling spoiled milk. Plus, the songs aren't even all that bad. The aforementioned performers (Victoria Justice, Elizabeth Gillies, Leon Thomas III, and Ariana Grande) actually have good voices and solid personalities, so when the time comes that Victorious is no longer a factor in television, their careers will certainly live on...as long as none of them hang out with Miley Cyrus.

Justice takes the reigns on the majority of the cuts, but an ensemble performance of Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" (which they don't completely murder) and duets on "Tell Me That You Love Me" and "Song 2 You" featuring Thomas III/Justice show the intricacy of how fun the show really is. However, the true highlight of all of this lies in the closer "Leave It All to Shine," a combination of the themes for Victorious and iCarly, another Schneider gem. Imagine Batman and Spiderman teaming up to fight Megatron with gravity hammers, and that's a pretty accurate description of what you'll find there.

Also found on the soundtrack are the lead singles "Freak the Freak Out" and "Beggin' on Your Knees," both of which are unapologetically catchy as hell. They will get stuck in your head and you'll probably feel a little ashamed, but no worries: it's the good type of ashamed! Like eating chocolate cake in a bathtub alone on a Friday night. But really, it's easier to accept it when you realize that the songs aren't all that worse than what is currently on the radio.

While no particular single has taken off just yet, a majority of the songs on the 12 track record were written and produced by hit aficionados Shellback and Dr. Luke. For what it's worth, most of the songs featuring Justice could work perfectly as Katy Perry or Pink material, so any of them could easily hit the Hot 100 and be a staple of your summer (or at least your sister's birthday party). If anything, try to take this album as a piece of nostalgia. I know how much you all love nostalgia. Think of each song as a little reminder of the shows you once loved. It'll be like the 90's all over again! Just without the Pogs and Wonder Balls.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Make It Shine
02) Freak the Freak Out
03) Best Friend's Brother
04) Beggin' on Your Knees
05) All I Want is Everything
06) You're the Reason
07) Give It Up
08) I Want You Back
09) Song 2 You
10) Tell Me That You Love Me
11) Finally Falling
12) Leave It All to Shine

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 102
10:35 AM on 08/02/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
Ariana is where it's at.
10:41 AM on 08/02/11
DemBitties
I ended up as food for wolves
User Info.
Ariana is where it's at.
Someone has the right idea.

I'm going to go as far and say that this is probably my favorite Nickelodeon show since Rocket Power went off the air. It's actually really fucking entertaining. And none of the cast members seem like they would be douches in real life.
02:54 PM on 08/02/11
Emarosa12
SpokenTruth
User Info.
Hahaha I love this.
03:35 PM on 08/02/11
Minty Mouth
User Info.
This show is nowhere near as good as Kenan and Kel or any of the kids' TV shows from the 90s. The writing is positively horrible and the acting is the same cliche combination of goofy facial expressions and recycled jokes you can see in any recent Disney channel live action series.

I'm also getting massive autotune vibes from Victoria Justice's voice. It just doesn't sound human to me.

And musically, the first two Hannah Montana albums blew this tripe out of the water.
04:26 PM on 08/02/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
that song they sing when she looks like a gargoyle or whatever, "Finally Falling" is fucking awesome.

i also really like the theme song, always gets stuck in my head.
04:50 PM on 08/02/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
hahaha holy shit theres an actual review for this
04:51 PM on 08/02/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
This show is nowhere near as good as Kenan and Kel or any of the kids' TV shows from the 90s. The writing is positively horrible and the acting is the same cliche combination of goofy facial expressions and recycled jokes you can see in any recent Disney channel live action series.

I'm also getting massive autotune vibes from Victoria Justice's voice. It just doesn't sound human to me.

And musically, the first two Hannah Montana albums blew this tripe out of the water.
i actually dont hate this show or icarly or the newer nick/disney shows, but you are right. nothing can touch kenan and kel, or ever drake and josh.
08:32 PM on 08/02/11
Clintoto
thefifties.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Well... I don't know what to make of this.
09:59 PM on 08/02/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I'm so confused. By your description, this sounds better than that shit show "Shake It Up" that my sister is in love with.
10:36 PM on 08/02/11
ChrisCanberg
User Info.
Musically, this show is genius. Comedically, this show is garbage. Not every Nickelodeon character needs to ask another for some type of ointment to be funny.

And yeah yeah, the obligatory "nothing will be as good as Drake and Josh". But nothing will be, because the chemistry between the two of them was amazingly natural.
11:24 PM on 08/02/11
PengusNiugnep
@PenguinGengar
User Info.
I like this show. I don't like the music outside of the show, though. I'm just glad this was reviewed without bashing it because it is better than a lot of what is out there.
11:28 PM on 08/02/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Joe, I love you, kid.
11:33 PM on 08/02/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
that song they sing when she looks like a gargoyle or whatever, "Finally Falling" is fucking awesome.

i also really like the theme song, always gets stuck in my head.

Yeah, that one and All I Want Is Everything are my jams.

hahaha holy shit theres an actual review for this

Musically, this show is genius. Comedically, this show is garbage. Not every Nickelodeon character needs to ask another for some type of ointment to be funny.

And yeah yeah, the obligatory "nothing will be as good as Drake and Josh". But nothing will be, because the chemistry between the two of them was amazingly natural.

Definitely not as good at D&J but if we're talking since 2003 or 2004 or whenever it first aired, it's definitely one of the best live action ones they've had. Especially for the younger kids who might have missed the boat on D&J as well.

11:43 PM on 08/02/11
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
kvlt
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music