AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Ugly Club, The - 07.26.11

The Ugly Club - 07.26.11

Interviewed by
The Ugly Club - 07.26.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

THE UGLY CLUB

www.theuglyclub.bandcamp.com
www.myspace.com/theuglyclubnj
www.twitter.com/theuglyclub
www.facebook.com/theuglyclub

How did you get your band name?

When the group started, it was just various friends recording songs together. Our old guitarist titled a track "The Ugly Club" and the rest of us loved it and asked to keep it. Then we became a real band - haha.

How did this band get started?

Just as I said before, in a very laid back fashion. We just were messing around and putting songs together with various friends but then wanted to put the music out and play shows so we got organized.

What bands are you influenced by?

Tons of different music from current rock/indie bands like My Morning Jacket to 90s hip hop/neo-soul to 60s funk/jazz/soul. We pull influence from all the music we love but surely have an Ugly Club sound that we work towards which doesn't always showcase those other styles.

If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Definitely hard to say, but I guess any band that lived on the road full time and devoted themselves completely to touring and playing live. Maybe Zeppelin just to catch a ride on the plane.

Best food to eat on tour?

Healthiest possible choice. Which is sometimes impossible.

Why should people listen to your band?

Because we mean what we do. It's no bullshit and we work hard and want everyone to hear it. Whether or not someone digs the sound, I think that is always apparent in music.

If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Soundwaves Studios, Union New Jersey!

If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

The politics. It'd be nice to let the genuine, innovative artists shine through more. Cut the American Idol nonsense.

Memorable tour experience?

House show in Penn State. Totally unexpected turn out and response. People were punching the ceiling and just going crazy. Great to have that 4 hours from home in a snow storm.

What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net has always been a place to sift through for good, new music...like a local record store. It's great that it's been around as long as it has and still affects people in that same way.

What is your favorite song to play?

Whatever the newest thing is, we tend to get bored quickly.

What music reminds you of your childhood?

Stevie Wonder, Nirvana, Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Various members of our band work at Soundwaves Studios in Union, NJ and it is like a home to us. Not only does it help us grow as a band, but we love helping it grow as a business and bringing in other artists.

What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

We don't personally focus much on radio but I think there is still a big following behind it and especially when someone finds a station that they can depend on, they tend to hold onto that.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Read, write, watch movies, go out with friends, what everyone does I'd say.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests