Password

Album Review

Charlie Simpson - Young Pilgrim Album Cover

Charlie Simpson - Young Pilgrim

Reviewed by
Charlie Simpson - Young Pilgrim
Record Label: CSM Records
Release Date: August 15th, 2011
This review is a user submitted review from Broden Terry. You can see all of Broden Terry's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 76
12:59 AM on 08/05/11
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I promised a lengthy review, so there you go! Make sure you listen/purchase on August 15th because it's spectacular.
03:42 AM on 08/05/11
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
your reviews are always so motherfuckin' long... but I'm interested in hearing this.
07:20 AM on 08/05/11
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I've been waiting for this so long! Glad it's a lengthy review, I'm ready to read about some excellent music. That score gets me even more excited.

Edit: I have to say, I love your writing style. It's so damn descriptive and at times almost poetic. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this ended up being my AOTY, it's definitely my most anticipated.
10:24 AM on 08/05/11
metallikunt
This Don't Look Like LAX
User Info.
TL;DR

Just kidding, I read it all. I agree that your writing style is almost poetic. Almost lyric-like in itself. Pretty good review, been wondering when it would be posted. From what I've heard I can definitely agree with the score on this one. Already my AOTY :)
11:32 AM on 08/05/11
LetterBomb31
// I M P O S S I B L E S O U L //
User Info.
Excellent review, you're a very good writer. I can't wait to hear this album.
11:38 AM on 08/05/11
Minty Mouth
User Info.
I agree that your writing style is brilliant. I do think, however, that you could make use of a pair of slightly sharper editing scissors. The beautiful writing is a little lost in an abundance of adjectives and your sentences sometimes wander off track. I think you could have cut the length of the review significantly without losing any of the power of your observations quite easily.

I'll definitely be listening to the album now, though.
02:26 PM on 08/05/11
Mr Hox182
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm getting too stoked for this album. I can't wait until I can hear it.
02:25 AM on 08/06/11
Life,I'msorry
User Info.
Your review just convinced me to purchase a signed CD from Charlie's webstore.
06:26 AM on 08/06/11
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
the demos, the EPs, the covers (his wheat cover is flawless) all make me so exited to finally hear the full length. Been a Fightstar fan since 'They Liked You Better...' was picked up by Deep Elm. Anything Charlie puts effort into becomes gold.
07:39 AM on 08/06/11
BabyBritain
Harmonic Overlady
User Info.
I promised a lengthy review, so there you go! Make sure you listen/purchase on August 15th because it's spectacular.

Now I agree with most of what you said in the review, but man...tone it down a notch. You're trying extremely hard to utilize colorful language and descriptors for everything, and to be honest, it's just overwhelming for most readers. It reaches the point of pontification. You misuse long words and punctuation, and often write completely redundant phrases such as "consider and picture this," "appeared and seemed," and "continues and maintains." I'm all for reviewing good music, but I'm also a big believer in careful brevity. I feel like you've alienated a lot of your would-be readers by bombarding them with unnecessarily pretentious language and awkward, over-the-top syntax. Extracting the base intentions of this review actually reveals some very sweet and well thought out sentiments. Everything could have been said in half the space. But it was tough to make it past the first few sentences. Sorry dude. I don't mean to be such a negative Nancy! I just figured that you are likely an aspiring writer and wouldn't mind some constructive pointers on how this review could be a difficult read for the average Joe/Jane perusing the site. It's awesome that you loved the record because I am 95% sure that it will be my ROTY.
10:17 AM on 08/06/11
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
so excited for this.
10:45 AM on 08/06/11
silent_platypus
Elected Asskicker
User Info.
Read this as "Cody Simpson" and said "EXCUSE ME?!" out loud.
11:27 AM on 08/06/11
sjb2k1
8-7, sack orton
User Info.
holy beast of a review.

this album is a serious aoty contender for me. i didn't even know this guy existed until a couple months ago
11:36 AM on 08/06/11
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
Can't wait to hear this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT