AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Zs - Buck Album Cover

Zs - Buck

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
ZsBuck
Label: Gilgongo Records
Release Date: March 2007

Who?

Zs is a Brooklyn rock orchestra playing monster mashes of prog, jazz and avant-garde. Minimalist inclinations keep things eerie and, well, weird.

How Is It?

Buck is actually a collection of live songs recorded from as far back as 2000. The record’s production values are top-notch and audience noises rarely detract from the listening experience. When a dude yells, 'Sheet music rules!' on much too long “Bump”, he unintentionally sums things up quite nicely. I’m going to take his comment as sarcasm and say that tracks with any sort of guitar and drums (“Nobody Wants To Be Had” and “Mimesis”) greatly outshine those without (“Arms”). And after 50+ minutes of strange saxophone grooves and eccentric drum banging, the only-vocals track, “Zs”, is melodically pleasing and simple. Not only can they create complex, ethereal arrangements, but Zs can also channel my grandfather’s barbershop quartet. Leave it to the pop-punk kid to love the only song that keeps a tune. I'm definitely not the demographic Buck intends to please.

Recommended If You Like: Unknown Instructors, Aa, people that yell 'Slayer!' at shows, chamber rock

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version