Password
This Thread is Closed.

03:39 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
ForlrnPerplxity
Call me Brosnan
Everywhere
Male - 28 Years Old
If he is a .360 wOBA player with -15 true talent defense, I figure in 2.5 months worth of playing time (about 250 PA's) he'd be worth around 7 runs above replacement. Stretch that out to 600 PA's and you're looking at about a 1.5 WAR player. And that is assuming -15 runs true talent defensive ability. If you want to make it more severe, go ahead. The worst defensive first baseman with 500+ innings played over the last three seasons is about -12. So making him the worst fielding first baseman in the majors is still not enough to make him less than a 1.5 WAR player over a full season. About half that in 2.5 months that Howard will be gone (or however long he'll be out).

In short, I'm not overly worried. Obviously, he could fall off a cliff, but given he'd get, what, 60 games MAX as an everyday 1B for Philly, that is too short of a time for terrible defense to really make that big of a difference.
Like Scott said, I don't doubt his offensive merits or that he'll be worthwhile to the Phillies, but there's no way he's not going to be dreadful at first base.
03:46 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
ForlrnPerplxity
Call me Brosnan
Everywhere
Male - 28 Years Old
If the voters are going to give the MVP to Verlander over Bautista then I guess we should expect them to give it to Halladay over Kemp.

Oh wait...
04:22 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
Question to the non-Yankee fans out there:

What do you think of Eduardo Nunez?
04:27 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old

poor hitter, poor defender, really only good for his speed. just based on what we've seen so far.
04:33 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
Seattle, WA
Male - 30 Years Old
Staff Member

Mediocre player with little to no offensive ceiling. Unlikely to evolve into more than a utility infielder.
04:35 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
Mediocre player with little to no offensive ceiling. Unlikely to evolve into more than a utility infielder.

THANK YOU.

a
04:41 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
startBBtoday
every red sox beat writer is talking up bobby valentine like every other managerial candidate is shit compared to him.

i don't get it. i haven't talked to a single red sox fan that's excited about him. a 61 year old manager that's coached in one world series in 15 years and has never won a division title? woo hoo.
04:49 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
every red sox beat writer is talking up bobby valentine like every other managerial candidate is shit compared to him.

i don't get it. i haven't talked to a single red sox fan that's excited about him. a 61 year old manager that's coached in one world series in 15 years and has never won a division title? woo hoo.

In case you didn't see earlier, Heyman tweeted something to the effect of "how can the Red Sox go back now that Valentine's out of the box?"

To which the response is: easily. The fan reaction has been terrible.

I don't know what to think of him though. I have no memory of him as a manager, and my negative opinion of him is pretty much limited to his broadcasting. He's clearly got an flare about him, which I'm not really interested in given all the dramatics of September/October, but as a manager, given how little impact they have, I don't know if I ultimately care that much.

I just hope that whoever is selected is open to whatever ideas the front office has.
04:50 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet

I just hope that whoever is selected is open to whatever ideas the front office has.

I have a feeling that Bobby V does not fit that mold.
04:54 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
startBBtoday
In case you didn't see earlier, Heyman tweeted something to the effect of "how can the Red Sox go back now that Valentine's out of the box?"

To which the response is: easily. The fan reaction has been terrible.

I don't know what to think of him though. I have no memory of him as a manager, and my negative opinion of him is pretty much limited to his broadcasting. He's clearly got an flare about him, which I'm not really interested in given all the dramatics of September/October, but as a manager, given how little impact they have, I don't know if I ultimately care that much.

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that this is a move that the ownership wants, not the front office. The beat writers want him because he's a good quote.

This is my opinion on most things, but the unknown entity is always better than the crappy known entity.

I don't see what a 61 year old that hasn't coached in the US since 2002 is going to bring to the Red Sox. He has two playoff appearances in his career. Dale Sveum and Torey Lovullo weren't that much more appealing, but at least they might be malleable, Valentine won't be.
04:55 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
Jacksonville, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Last year, Bautista had a chance to impact the season 988 times. PA+Defensive chances

Verlander, 969 times.

I'm not trying to argue one over the other, but I don't get the whole pitcher vs. batter for mvp title nonsense.

Cy Young is the best pitcher. We have a best reliever. We have the best fielders at each position. We have the best hitters at each position. Why can MVP only go to a batter?

I mean obviously Ellsbury and Bautista were better regardless, but I'm just saying.

I don't get the argument either. After all, the MVP stands for "Most Valuable Player". It's not MVPP "Most Valuable Position Player". The voters believed, based on the metrics, that Verlander was more valuable to his team, than any other player in the AL. I have no issue with it.
05:03 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
Rangers reportedly to sign Joe Nathan.
05:03 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
shit i kinda wanted him for the angels pen
05:05 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling that this is a move that the ownership wants, not the front office. The beat writers want him because he's a good quote.

This is my opinion on most things, but the unknown entity is always better than the crappy known entity.

I don't see what a 61 year old that hasn't coached in the US since 2002 is going to bring to the Red Sox. He has two playoff appearances in his career. Dale Sveum and Torey Lovullo weren't that much more appealing, but at least they might be malleable, Valentine won't be.

I'm like to think that people can change.....ugh.
05:09 PM on 11/21/11 
User Info.
SamuelJLast
What's Yahoo Screen?
Ipswich, UK
Male - 28 Years Old
I guess Feliz is moving to the rotation then.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos