AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Elyson - 07.31.11

Elyson - 07.31.11

Interviewed by
Elyson - 07.31.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Elyson

http://www.facebook.com/elysonnh

1. How did you get your name?
Tyler - Some former members and I used to work at a pizza shop. And we were working one day and talking about a name change. And one of the guys put his finger down randomly in a map book. And we got "Ellyson," so we dropped an "L" and kept it.

2. When did you start performing and recording as Elyson?
We started in January of 2008 with a 5 song set we grew from there. Over the years we have grown and matured as musicians and through some line-up changes we have come into our own.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Every Time I Die, Oceana, Oh Sleeper, Blink 182, Four Year Strong, The Wonder Years.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Colin - I would love to tour with ETID or Thursday because of their live intensity and for the influence they have had on me.
Tyler - I'd like to tour with Every Time I Die. I love their intensity and overall stage show. And they like to party...and I like to party.
Chris Mac- I would have liked to tour with Catherine or Oceana because I believe we have a similar sound.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Colin - Koala, because they're AWESOME!!!
Tyler - Probably a panda because for some reason a lot of people tell me I look like one.
Chris Mac- Whatever animal gets the most love haha.
Chris Pierson -I would be a Koala because they are badass. They only eat eucalyptus which is poisonous.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We work hard to make something that is our own and that is what we want music to be. It is heavy and raw music without being polished up as something it's not.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Colin - I would love to see "Daedelus" on there because it has a diverse guitar part and the melodies are fun to play with. I would say it would be moderately difficult - I wouldn't be able to do it.
Tyler - I think "letting Go" would be fun to play on Rock Band. Guitar wouldn't be too hard on expert, but it's a fun song.
Chris Mac - Exodus because it's a little complicated but really fun to play and listen to.
Chris Pierson - "Daedelus" because it is a great song and I think it would be a three star because we are not Dragonforce.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Colin - I would thank everyone who has helped us along the way because they are few and far between but they are the best people we know.
Tyler - Family, friends, anyone who has really given us a chance to prove ourselves.
Chris Mac - I'd thank my family, friends, and of course the local venues that have heard the best and worst of us and given us their full support every time we play.
Chris Pierson - My old guild in World of Warcraft. I've been through some crazy shit with them.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Colin - I would like to see more bands out in the mainstream than artists, because it is more difficult to get 4 or 5 musicians together who have the talent and ambition to make it in music than one person alone.
Tyler - There's just too much going on right now that's the same and everyone follows everyone else. People need to start defining their own sound.
Chris Mac - I'd like to see a change in style from heavy bands because a lot of the stuff coming out now sounds really generic.
Chris Pierson - I hate that big venues are weeding out the small venues which are the best ones!

10. Memorable tour experience?
Colin - Driving 9 hours straight through the night on our day off to watch the sunrise over Virginia Beach. Then passing out and having a penis drawn on me in sun block.
Tyler - Having a nose bleed for like 2 hours in a Guitar Center parking lot.
Chris Mac- Witnessing a woman drive her car into a guard rail in front of us at 1am doing 100mph at least, then driving the wrong way on the highway and getting off the exit!
Chris Pierson - Partying in Tennessee!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A place to find news about bands that you might not be able to hear about otherwise. A place for guys like us to get heard and spread our name. And an overall cool place to go talk to other people about the bands you enjoy.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Colin - "Exodus" or "Daedalus" because they are so upbeat and fast-paced and they are our most diverse songs as a whole band.
Tyler - "Sands of Time."
Chris Mac - "Letting Go."
Chris Pierson - "Letting Go."

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Colin - Costa Rica, hands down.
Tyler - Hank (our tour van).
Chris Mac- Florida.
Chris Pierson - London. Great city, great people.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Colin - Green Day and Jock Jams 3.
Tyler - Blink 182, Vertical Horizon and Tony Hawk soundtracks.
Chris Mac- Aquabats, Blink 182, Smashmouth.
Chris Pierson - Taking Back Sunday, Human Flight Committee, and Just Surrender.

15. Do you feel that you have "made it" as an artist?
I think we have a long way before that, wherever that point is. The sky is the limit for us.

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Colin - We are not as angry as we sound - these guys are some of the funniest guys I have ever met.
Tyler - We are really nice people. Even though our songs sound so angry haha.
Chris Pierson - We play Magic the Gathering all the time.

17. What's your favorite holiday?
Colin - St. Patty's day.
Tyler - Christmas, I still can't sleep the night before.
Chris Mac- Definitely Christmas - I love the family time.
Chris Pierson - St. Patrick's Day.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Colin - In the little spare time I have, I like to surf and get together with friends.
Tyler - Play music and fix my car.
Chris Mac- Compose and watch Netflix.
Chris Pierson - Work.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Colin - We have become surprisingly good mechanics over the years.
Tyler - Van Mechanic extraordinaire.
Chris Mac - I'm pretty awesome with a Yoyo.
Chris Pierson - I can recite the US constitution.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests