|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
My parents found my first name in a book of Greek mythology. Daughter of Perseus, mother of Andromeda...and a woodland nymph. Yeah, they found a good name.
2. How did this band get started?
Well, I was born! Then I climbed onto a piano bench and basically never left.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Peter Gabriel, Imogen Heap, Garbage.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Incubus. Hands down the most dynamic and musical band I know. Plus their fans rock.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
I dig fruits and veggies, rinsed in a truck stop sink and sliced into pita bread. That's touring vegan for you. My dream is touring around cities with farmer's markets, raiding the local produce and hitching a composter to the van.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
My music is fun if you want to have fun, interesting if you want intrigue, and challenging if you want a challenge.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
A runner. Running is a beautiful sport. I love testing my physical limits free of equipment or team strategy.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My parents, myself, and you.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Marketability does not mean "hit potential." Audiences know when an artist is original or when she's surfing a trend just to make money. Some industry agendas are too focused on avoiding risk and capitalizing on something that's already been done. I'm always psyched to meet music peers who believe in innovation first.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Valencia, Spain, with Berklee College of Music composers. And playing on "The View" in NYC with Sony artist BC Jean.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Love the comprehensive network for fans and musicians. You can jump from interviews to album reviews to questionnaires and learn all about new artists.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
In my live show, I sometimes preface "Mockingbird" with a wailing ballad version of The Police's "Every Breath You Take." Love that opportunity to open up vocally and tie the meaning of two songs together.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Love me some mountains. Give me a forest, river, and trail through the rocks, and I'm happy.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Raffi and Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band were two vinyls on constant spin growing up. Also the choral music of my teen years. Singing in state honors choir was one of the most powerful experiences of my life.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Haha um, a mental facebook app to instantly recall people's names. But that would be creepy.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Deep breath, think of the first lyrics from my set list, and imagine drawing my audience into a bright, warm, sunshiney moment.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
If I said, then they would know!
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Yes, absolutely. I dig Pandora and Spotify, but still have my childhood affinity for Top 40 radio. If they would just include more than twenty songs in rotation!
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Run, read, hike, bike, and Goodwill shopping.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I definitely have an athletic streak I haven't introduced into my shows yet. And my ability to memorize phone books has been neglected of late.
03:36 PM on 08/10/11
Awesome, love this! Thanks for posting!
More From This Author