Password

Album Review

Into It. Over It. - Twelve Towns Album Cover

Into It. Over It. - Twelve Towns

Reviewed by
Into It. Over It. - Twelve Towns
Release Date: August 9, 2011
Record Label: Topshelf Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
There’s a lot to be said about the skill of a songwriter. Usually a group has one or two main songwriters, and usually bands find something that works and stick to it. Evan Thomas Weiss has already risen to the cream of the proverbial crop when it comes to songwriting. He doesn’t have the absolutely most angelic voice and he doesn’t have unparalleled skill at any specific instrument. But his songwriting, certainly, is something to behold.

That’s not breaking news – the gargantuan undertaking of 52 Weeks or his split with Andrew Koji Shiraki could have shown you what I just wrote. Weiss’ latest release, under his moniker of Into It. Over It. (which always makes Microsoft Word throw up the green squiggly lines), is the Twelve Towns project. Originally released as 12 songs across six different split 7”s, Topshelf Records is now presenting Twelve Towns in a collective LP format. Each of the 12 songs was written about a different city Weiss visited on tour.

The fascinating part about this collection is that the style of each song is geared to take on the feel of the town. As a result, listeners get 12 completely different, fully disjointed songs. Opener “Nashville, TN” is an airy, acoustic guitar-plucky track, but it’s immediately followed by the full-band jammer “Orlando, FL.” Later on, the ebbs and flows of “Portland, OR” precede the aggressive “Washington, D.C.”

It may not flow like a full-length record is supposed to, but that’s because Twelve Towns isn’t actually a full-length record. It’s just a convenient way to listen to these 12 songs, plus the five alternate acoustic versions that are added on at the end. Those acoustic versions, by the way, are completely worth the purchase for fans that already have the other songs. “Augusta, GA” is given a completely different feel, while “Billings, MT” came out as an easy sing-along.

There isn’t much else to say about Twelve Towns. Since the songs don’t really flow together, there isn’t a lot to muse about on a holistic scale, and describing each song is sort of a waste – with songwriting this varied, you’ll just have to listen for yourself. One thing that can be said is that it’s a good thing Weiss chooses to pursue these projects. Releases like 52 Weeks and Twelve Towns provide a welcome change of pace; just a little stray away from the consistencies and normalcies we’re used to. While you wait for Proper, Weiss’ true debut full-length, to drop in September, Twelve Towns should serve as a more-than-adequate holdover.

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
01:41 AM on 08/11/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
What'd you do, steal this guy's name for your clothing company?

There I said it, now no one else has ot.
01:43 AM on 08/11/11
3ver So Sweet
User Info.
good review. and i love everything that evan has put out. such a good listen(even if it doesnt flow together) like you said, every song has its own distinct feel which makes it extremely enjoyable. my favorite from this record is definitely brenham, texas or augusta, georgia. cant wait for proper in september, should be awesome!
02:05 AM on 08/11/11
panties_nz
halfyearsun
User Info.
this dude is so talented. i should give up already
02:23 AM on 08/11/11
pacridgematt
Bobby Newport 2012
User Info.
The album is great. My only complaint is that they didn't include the Raw Bar OBX cover from the Everyone Everywhere split. It was also the best split of the series, in my opinion.
04:47 AM on 08/11/11
Alison1488
____
User Info.

Haha. I'm sure no one was going to say it. =P I'm glad I read this review, because I was wondering why all the songs were named after towns.
05:04 AM on 08/11/11
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.

I was wondering about that...
05:38 AM on 08/11/11
Greg
User Info.
I don't really understand the review. With such a high score I expected there to be more of an explanation about what you liked about it. Or more of what you thought was good about it. Really all that was said in the review about the record was that it wasn't intended to be a full length so don't expect it to flow. Thanks?
06:12 AM on 08/11/11
InfiniteArms
#Nygma
User Info.
Easily my favorite artist at the moment. Easily.
08:34 AM on 08/11/11
x0kristennn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Last sentence, switch "whole" to "while" !

I like that you said all of the songs have a different feel. I don't really mind that everything switches up pace, etc., throughout. Sometimes a record that does flow bores me because there isn't enough diversity.

Will definitely be checking this out.
09:01 AM on 08/11/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Would have liked to read more analysis of the record in itself. I may not have known that these songs were already released on different split 7"s, etc., and I haven't really listened to him, but only hear good things about him.
09:20 AM on 08/11/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I don't really understand the review. With such a high score I expected there to be more of an explanation about what you liked about it. Or more of what you thought was good about it. Really all that was said in the review about the record was that it wasn't intended to be a full length so don't expect it to flow. Thanks?
Did you skip all the parts where I talk about his songwriting? Interesting how you only read a few sentences! Do you do that for all reviews?
09:42 AM on 08/11/11
brandon_260
User Info.
So excited for my copy of this record to get here. Evan does so much good.
09:50 AM on 08/11/11
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Exactly. There's plenty to say about this album/project, but you kind of sidestepped it because most of these songs have already been released and "they don't really flow together". I thought the 52 Weeks project was cool, but it was hard to get through with it being...well, 52 songs. This project's a) way more condensed than 52, and b) it's got a cool theme of touring and all the stories each town/city presents itself with. You go into the how each song describes a town a little, but this review just didn't give this album justice. Regardless, I'm glad you at least gave it a good score. Definitely worth buying the record for the music and the fact that Evan's a good guy that makes a shit ton of music.
10:28 AM on 08/11/11
topshelfsquad
User Info.
Thanks Thomas!

It should be noted that Westmont, NJ didn't actually appear on any of the splits and is exclusive to this release.

You can stream the record here, see the awesome LP packaging here and order it on CD / LP / digital here. Thanks!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos