AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

An Angle - The Truth is That You Are Alive Album Cover

An Angle - The Truth is That You Are Alive

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
An AngleThe Truth Is That You Are Alive
Label: Drive-Thru Records
Release Date: June 12, 2007

“This should be fun.”

Those were the sarcastic words I first thought when the opportunity arose for me to review An Angle’s third release, The Truth Is That You Are Alive. Drive-Thru’s lack of praiseworthy bands is no secret, and I wasn’t expecting such a fantastic band to call the label home. However, I won’t spend a second more berating the label that had it all and lost it all. Everyone likes a story with a happy ending anyways. And the tale of Kris Anaya and An Angle couldn’t be more cheerful.

That last sentence is misleading. The music might be mostly catchy, cleverly orchestrated indie pop, but the lyrics speak of heartbreak, personal weakness and inconsistencies of faith. With good reason, The Truth Is That You Are Alive will recall The Format’s Dog Problems. The parallels don’t necessarily come from musical tendencies or themes. Rather, The Truth… finds Kris Anaya, the group’s most important and steadfast member, recognizing his true voice. “On My Way” might preach of the long road ahead for success, but in my humble opinion, An Angle is already there.

Thoughtful pop music is something I will never grow out of. “Oh! Oh! Oh! Trouble!”, the album’s opener, blossoms from a vocal solo into a twangy piano number complete with cheerful horns. So many elements are present on this song, and all of them work. It’s the type of song you take personal offense to if someone doesn’t like it. And the following track, “Clean And Gold”, doesn’t slow the tempo or good times down one bit. Notable for a (friendly) duel between piano and organ, the track is a country song written for Northerners.

Anaya’s voice is, in a word, conversational. Take The Truth Is That You Are Alive to an old diner, sit down, and order some flapjacks. Skip to the slow, acoustic beauty that is “Going To Heaven.” Look outside and hope for rain. Just when the downpour starts, imagine Anaya is sitting across the booth, singing solely for you about tolerance. As the rainbow starts to form and Anaya’s blurry outline drifts away, reflect on the sick world around us. Embrace the notion of a peaceful existence. My intention is not to overload you all with furtive, cheesy lines about political affiliations. No, my intent is much more simple. Just remember that musicians like Kris Anaya are the reason we visit this site. Accept and appreciate him. Still lame? Oh well.

The ever-increasing number of Bright Eyes fans should not scoff at An Angle. Easy with the harsh comments on this comparison please, I’m just a young boy. Anaya's unusual yell/sing harmonies front homegrown guitar riffs (“Ghost In The Mirror”) and jazzy horns (“C’mon C’mon”) effortlessly. The large influence of classic country music and blues makes Anaya more of a storyteller than a songwriter. No sci-fi epics or obscure metaphors are necessary, though. You’re problems might not seem so unique afterwards, but you won’t feel quite as lonely, either.

And here’s what I’ve been building up to this whole time. Here’s what you (and I) never thought I would say: Drive-Thru has released one of the best albums of 2007. As a (semi pro, wannabe) reviewer, I hear a lot of albums. It’s sometimes hard to pick out the ones I actually love from the ones that are just good. The Truth Is That You Are Alive has forced me to make an uncompromising (probably regrettable) statement about my own personal tastes. I’m oddly grateful.

And to the sarcastic, judgmental kid that started this review, two things:
1.) I still love you.
2.) Suck it. This is a lot of fun

Recommended If You Like: The Format, Bright Eyes, black and white photography, Say Anything, porch swings

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
12:12 PM on 05/24/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Great, great review Blake.
12:58 PM on 05/24/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Great, great review Blake.

thanks bro, i really, really, really, really, appreciate it.

And to the other 12 people that will read this: Buy this on June 12. I highly recommend it

Listen to songs here: www.myspace.com/ananglemusic
01:59 PM on 05/24/07
I was Brad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review man, i really wasnt thinking about picking this up, but you def made me want to give an angle another chance. thanks man.
02:58 PM on 05/24/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
What a great review. I always like your RIYL's.
04:10 PM on 05/24/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
thanks bro, i really, really, really, really, appreciate it.

And to the other 12 people that will read this: Buy this on June 12. I highly recommend it

Listen to songs here: www.myspace.com/ananglemusic

I'm hoping that more people read your reviews than you say, because they're very good. It's good to be humble, I guess, but give yourself some credit!
04:14 PM on 05/24/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
I knew they were deserving of such a good score..glad I'm not the only one. Great review man.
04:37 PM on 05/24/07
elscorchette
current addiction: rock band
User Info.
i loved this review :)

you can listen to clips of all the songs on the ecard: http://www.drivethrurecords.com/anangleecard2/
05:05 PM on 05/24/07
Maxwell Edison
facebook.com/actasifmusic
User Info.
Nice review, I can't wait for the album. The new songs sound great.
06:32 PM on 05/24/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
I seem to enjoy all the reviews you've been doing, this is no exception. Also, this band sounds great and I definitely need to check their cd out.
07:31 PM on 05/24/07
bpopowitz
User Info.
this is going to be the album of the year
11:03 PM on 05/24/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
An Angle always seems to get hated on for being too much like Bright Eyes. I'm glad you wrote a thoughtful review instead of sticking to that angle (pardon the pun) like everyone else does. I'll be checking out these new songs for sure.
11:50 PM on 05/24/07
Rad McAwesome
User Info.
Quote:
Just remember that musicians like Kris Anaya are the reason we visit this site. Accept and appreciate him. Still lame? Oh well.

thank you for being honest. this was a great review. people need to let go of the bright eyes crap and listen for a while. this album is going to be amazing. i seriously can't wait. i love what i've heard so far and i want more.
12:23 AM on 05/25/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
thank you for being honest. this was a great review. people need to let go of the bright eyes crap and listen for a while. this album is going to be amazing. i seriously can't wait. i love what i've heard so far and i want more.

honesty is the only thing i know how to do. If I hate it, its apparent. But, thankfully, when I love something, it's even easier to tell

Thanks for reading!
12:38 AM on 05/25/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
Very well written, well done as always.

PS: I see you have the lead track streaming on your AP profile, nice usage of the new feature.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos