Username
Password

11:05 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
I feel like most of us agree on foreign policy.
11:11 PM on 08/13/11 
User Info.
Alou
Shenanigans.
Dacula, GA
Male - 23 Years Old
We use it as a bully pulpit, chiefly. Amongst other things. In theory, it's fantastic. In practice, it drops the ball a lot.

I'm hoping the BRIC nations (+South Africa) manage to reform it a bit in the coming years.
12:46 AM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 29 Years Old
There's a very good chance that my grandparents used to be racist, based on their age and growing up in rural North Carolina. Are they racists now? No. People change. Robert Byrd filibustered the Civil Rights Act, and nobody calls him a racist now..

1. i have racist relatives. i don't want them to be elected into office, even though i care about them as people.
2. Byrd does have a history of racism, one that he's recanted. Paul has never admitted he was wrong when he says things like he would not have voted to overturn Jim Crow or that 95% of black males in DC are probably criminals. I don't think someone like that should get elected, much like I don't think Byrd should have when he was filibustering.
11:37 AM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
With quotes like those, I'm kind of surprised he can't win the GOP nomination.
12:22 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
ibemonty2000
No Avatar Selected
Southern Oregon
Male - 28 Years Old
People ask why gold is good, when its just a rock. I wondered the same thing. The answer is that it's a fiat currency. Without going into more detail, the basic fact is that throughout time, going beyond any certain empire or country, gold has been the "gold standard" of currency. It's accepted virtually anywhere on Earth, and has long lasting value, versus a currency that loses its value for one reason or another. A good example is the Zimbabwe hyperinflation.

Unlike gold, which has a finite supply, Federal Reserve notes are not based on anything, making them nothing more than Monolopy money we pretend has value in the long term, which we're now finding out isn't true. The Feds print billions of dollars out of their asses whenever we need more, they just hit the print button. As you can expect, that devalues every other dollar in existence slowly over time, resulting in inflation, until we're like Zimbabwe, where you buy milk and eggs with a $5 Billion dollar bill.
12:36 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
Naperville, Il
Male - 21 Years Old
this guy is way too conservative for me, but his foreign policy views are golden
12:43 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
People ask why gold is good, when its just a rock. I wondered the same thing. The answer is that it's a fiat currency. Without going into more detail, the basic fact is that throughout time, going beyond any certain empire or country, gold has been the "gold standard" of currency. It's accepted virtually anywhere on Earth, and has long lasting value, versus a currency that loses its value for one reason or another. A good example is the Zimbabwe hyperinflation.

Unlike gold, which has a finite supply, Federal Reserve notes are not based on anything, making them nothing more than Monolopy money we pretend has value in the long term, which we're now finding out isn't true. The Feds print billions of dollars out of their asses whenever we need more, they just hit the print button. As you can expect, that devalues every other dollar in existence slowly over time, resulting in inflation, until we're like Zimbabwe, where you buy milk and eggs with a $5 Billion dollar bill.

Gold Standard currencies aren't fiat currencies, you've got it backwards.
02:16 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
Scrandon
Undeclared

The next time you even think about comparing the USA with Zimbabwe, don't.
02:49 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
The next time you even think about comparing the USA with Zimbabwe, don't.
03:13 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 26 Years Old
Gold only makes sense as valuable if you perceive things to be valuable that are scarce. Thus, you have to buy into capitalism for gold's value to make any sense.
03:47 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
An items value isn't determined by just supply though, value is determined by supply versus demand. a rare item that isn't desired by anyone won't have a high value.
05:53 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
You're talking about gold as a commodity, though.
07:03 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
Dr Thoreau
No Avatar Selected
Male - 27 Years Old
We need to dismantle the government, and move back to an agrarian society. Free rights for everyone, and in order to make sure this is followed through we should elect the poor and the destitute of the country along with the rich, to higher positions in order to mantle a level society, and keep power balanced
07:09 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Through the lips, over the gums
Connecticut
Male
We need to dismantle the government, and move back to an agrarian society. Free rights for everyone, and in order to make sure this is followed through we should elect the poor and the destitute of the country along with the rich, to higher positions in order to mantle a level society, and keep power balanced

Yea, the rich will totally go for that.
07:09 PM on 08/14/11 
User Info.
chiefjordo
Go Gophers!
From my understanding, he wants to disband the IRS and the Fed. Pass.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos