Password

Album Review

Maria Taylor - Overlook Album Cover

Maria Taylor - Overlook

Reviewed by
Maria Taylor - Overlook
Record Label: Saddle Creek Records
Release Date: August 16th, 2011

This review is a user submitted review from Broden Terry. You can see all of Broden Terry's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
07:06 PM on 08/14/11
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
I think Eda's streaming the album tomorrow on the front page, so make sure to check it out then if you haven't already!
11:09 PM on 08/14/11
arson
User Info.
Will definitely be checking this out.
12:10 AM on 08/15/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
I think Eda's streaming the album tomorrow on the front page, so make sure to check it out then if you haven't already!
I told you I was!
12:20 AM on 08/15/11
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Miss this chick. I like when she has the effect on her voice like on Leap Year.
Oh and who the heck is Broden Terry?
01:00 AM on 08/15/11
Broden Terry
User Info.
Miss this chick. I like when she has the effect on her voice like on Leap Year.
Oh and who the heck is Broden Terry?

Your biggest fan! You were so great and heroic in The Deathly Hallows. And when you won the Triwizard Tournament in The Goblet of Fire, what a moment! In all seriousness, I've been here for ages.
01:04 AM on 08/15/11
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is so forgettable to me. i feel really shitty saying this seeing as i am one of her biggest fans, but as you say, it's creation was an ambitious one. i think in terms of sound, many more low key artists have begun to explore outside what their used to, especially this year, but that didn't work for maria at all. i think the only artist to even do it right was bon iver, but rachael yamagata seems to have nailed it with starlight, so i'm more hopeful for her album as well. city and colour, gemma hayes, etc, just missed the mark though.
01:21 AM on 08/15/11
Broden Terry
User Info.
this album is so forgettable to me. i feel really shitty saying this seeing as i am one of her biggest fans, but as you say, it's creation was an ambitious one. i think in terms of sound, many more low key artists have begun to explore outside what their used to, especially this year, but that didn't work for maria at all. i think the only artist to even do it right was bon iver, but rachael yamagata seems to have nailed it with starlight, so i'm more hopeful for her album as well. city and colour, gemma hayes, etc, just missed the mark though.

I can totally understand and respect your point of view. I actually wrote this review two separate times, and the first review I wrote was quite negative because nothing really stood out at first. There was a certain blandness surrounding it - I couldn't quite understand why Maria had experimented with her signature trademark sound that had served her so well in previous solo efforts. In fact, a week ago I probably would've given this a 50-60% because I was really disappointed.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't instantly love it, all is not lost because Overlook is certainly what you'd classify as a "grower" of an album. It may take some time and persistence, but eventually it'll really connect with you and hopefully you'll adore it in much the same manner as I do!
01:27 AM on 08/15/11
HarryPotter
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Your biggest fan! You were so great and heroic in The Deathly Hallows. And when you won the Triwizard Tournament in The Goblet of Fire, what a moment! In all seriousness, I've been here for ages.
lol sorry it's the first time i've seen ya

I can totally understand and respect your point of view. I actually wrote this review two separate times, and the first review I wrote was quite negative because nothing really stood out at first. There was a certain blandness surrounding it - I couldn't quite understand why Maria had experimented with her signature trademark sound that had served her so well in previous solo efforts. In fact, a week ago I probably would've given this a 50-60% because I was really disappointed.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't instantly love it, all is not lost because Overlook is certainly what you'd classify as a "grower" of an album. It may take some time and persistence, but eventually it'll really connect with you and hopefully you'll adore it in much the same manner as I do!
I just got a hold of the album, but right now it's not really something I want to listen to. But from what you two have written it seems she changed her style drastically. I don't blame her, she hasn't really gotten the same amount of success as her peers, thus I think it's smart of her to change it up. But still, Leap Year will forever be one of my fav songs of all time, I hope it has some of that on there. Cheers!
01:40 AM on 08/15/11
carcrashofahart
climb is all we know
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

good to know i'm not the only one wondering why she fucked with her signature sound. not that i don't respect artists for evolving, it's just, for her, it doesn't make much sense. and, well, i worship her three previous solos and even remixed ep. anyway, i've listened to this about six times so far, which i still love the only three tracks that really sound like her. oh, well. took me all summer to love lykke li's new album, but i finally do. definitely a grower, this album. btw, good review. forgot to say that.
08:15 AM on 08/15/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
I just wanted to echo what Broden said as well. I'm the biggest Maria Taylor/Azure Ray fan girl, and I wasn't sure how I felt at first either, which kind of scared me because I expected to just adore the album immediately. Anyway, my point is, if you're a big fan, it will grow on you. I think it's all about the right time and mood, but once it clicks, it's so wonderful.
08:39 AM on 08/15/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Azure Ray is one of my favorite duos ever & their solo efforts (Orenda Fink's as well) have all been fantastic. We got blessed with another Azure Ray & a solo Maria album & I couldn't be happier. I really enjoyed this record & I hope others do too.
09:59 AM on 08/15/11
Eva Friedman
I'm the girl who makes it out alive
User Info.
I really loved this album. The first two songs were incredible to me. I love everything about it, from her voice to the instrumentation. The use of the marimba stood out so beautifully. It can be hard for me to enjoy an album by a female vocalist lately, but this album makes it easy.

Great review Broden. It's well organized and highlights the high points of OVerlook.
06:58 PM on 08/15/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Never heard Azure Ray nor Kate Havnevik...so it looks like I'll be busy.
01:50 AM on 08/16/11
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
I have never heard of her before, but I'm very surprised at what I am hearing. This album is definitely on my buy list. Amazed I haven't heard of her before

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos