AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up The Girl Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.89
Musicianship 7.71
Lyrics 7.57
Production 7.93
Creativity 7.39
Lasting Value 7.86
Reviewer Tilt 7.46
Average: 77%

Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up The Girl

Reviewed by: Me & My Arrow (05/25/07)
Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up The Girl

I'm sure many people have lost interest in the Goo Goo Dolls since the release of this CD. Dizzy Up The Girl put the band on the map but then they quickly lost the spotlight as a result of the much darker, angst-filled Gutterflower. That isn't to say that their follow up albums haven't been great, but this one stands as one of the most universally-liked CD of theirs, and possibly of the 90s as a whole. Dizzy Up The Girl is a perfect blend of the Goo Goo Dolls sound up until this album and the paths they would take with their follow-ups and spawned at least four singles that almost everyone in the world can at least hum along to. So the real question regarding an album this popular is, was it simply a catchy hit producer or a legitimately strong CD?

The answer is undoubtedly the latter. Johnny Rzeznik emerged as one of the strongest songwriters of our time beginning with their first real hit, "Name," and Dizzy Up The Girl is the epitome of absolutely flawless, infectious, and most importantly, lasting songwriting. Every song written by the frontman and guitarist on this CD is as perfectly crafted as the last, and there are few people that I know, even those that hate radio-friendly pop rock, that dislike the songs on this album. There are however a few songs written by bass player Robby Takac that fail to live up to the high standard set by these songs, but do not take away from the album, although they do stand as fairly standard, boring rock songs on their own.

The musicianship on Dizzy Up The Girl is solid from start to finish. The guitars are balanced well between catchy hooks, grinding rhythms, and acoustic-driven tunes, and the bass , while not necessarily a highlight of the album, is fitting and works well with each song's aim and sound. The drum work by Mike Malinin is spot on, never becoming too simplistic or too overly extravagant, which also fits well with this style of the music. The Goo Goo Dolls also have a knack for placing extra instruments in just the right spot, such as the guiro in the bridge of "Dizzy," the mandolin in "Iris," and of course the strings in "Iris" and "Acoustic #3."

One of the strongest points of this album and this band is Johnny Rzeznik's voice. He has gradually become of the voices that most can recognize, and not without good reason. His singing is simultaneously unique and familiar, rough and refined, and can pull just about anyone's heart strings. His vocal range has dropped slightly since this album was released nine years ago, but here he soars to incredible heights (see the choruses of "Dizzy" and "Iris") and belts his lyrics with complete confidence in his voice and his band. The lyrics on the CD generally avoid the sappiness found on 2006's Let Love In, and the storytelling on tracks such as "Slide" and "Broadway" is compelling and moving.

Dizzy Up The Girl stands as one of the best pop rock albums of all time, and rightly so. The songs vary in tone and style but maintain a common thread that makes the album work as a whole and is one of the main reasons it has established itself to this day as a standard in the world of not only pop rock, but rock as a whole.

1. Dizzy
2. Slide
3. Broadway
4. January Friend
5. Black Balloon
6. Bulletproof
7. Amigone
8. All Eyes On Me
9. Full Forever
10. Acoustic #3
11. Iris
12. Extra Pale
13. Hate This Place

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
05:14 PM on 05/31/07
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Wow, Got this album when I was 9.
Damn fine one it is.
09:49 PM on 05/31/07
seasonedxscar
epicly br00t4l BAMF
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
...how have you never heard of Dizzy Up The Girl?
10:44 AM on 06/01/07
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
...how have you never heard of Dizzy Up The Girl?

...I was just wondering the same thing.
08:07 AM on 06/02/07
sumazngeek
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ditto
03:07 PM on 06/08/07
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
I'm no longer a fan of this band, but I will admit that this album is good to some extent.
03:39 PM on 06/08/07
ultragabe
User Info.
Great review! This is an absolute masterpiece of an album.
04:11 PM on 06/08/07
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
User Info.
The first sentence needs either a semicolon or a word to join the two parts together. Best song on the album is "All Eyes on Me."
05:22 PM on 06/08/07
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
one of the most important releases of the 90s
05:25 PM on 06/08/07
allisterkid
here since blink fansite
User Info.
one of the most important releases of the 90s

Very interesting comment.

I agree, though.
10:04 PM on 06/08/07
MarkyMark1984
****** of the funky bunch
User Info.
i've always enjoyed Johnny's voice. "Iris" was the first song that got me hooked. I haven't really been into them much since them, not because i dislike what they've done since, but i've just branched out to different music that i decided is more important for me to purchase. And i don't like downloading, so i just haven't heard much more than what's on the radio.
12:02 AM on 06/09/07
lassise
User Info.
yeah... 9 years ago this review was pretty relevant
10:49 AM on 06/09/07
xerovision1
lies
User Info.
I have never heard this for some strage reason.

Downloading now.

wow. lol.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News