AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Good Age, The - Apologies In Advance Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.5
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 5.5
Production 5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 51%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Good Age, The - Apologies In Advance

Reviewed by: MusicTalks (08/18/11)
The Good Age Ė Apologies in Advance
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 2011

How bad does it suck to hear some new music, think you'll like it, only to end up wondering where it all went wrong? As Iím perusing the list of albums available for review, I find only a select few that really catch my ear. On first listen, The Good Ageís Apologies in Advance was one of those albums. After more listens, I think that I overestimated how much Iíd like this album. Iíve given it several spins and it just wonít stick.

Donít get me wrong now; Iíve underestimated bands before after the first, second or even third listen and have grown to love them - Paramoreís All We Know Is Falling being a prime example. Fall Out Boyís Take This To Your Grave is another. For The Good Age, Iím going to try and figure out and write down for you what it was that wasnít really keen to me.

First, most of the album sounds too melodically similar. Many of the more up-tempo songs could be mistaken for each other, which is never a good quality. Secondly, the slower songs, while they showcase the vocals a little bit more, still leave a lot to be desired. For me, there is a definite pitch and tone similarity to Yellowcard, but Ryan Key is much better. Third, the production is all over the place. It feels like itís mixed weirdly in parts, with certain instruments fighting each other for attention.

There are a few positive things to be pulled from the album, however. For one, the guitar work in ďThe RunĒ is some of the best on the album. Secondly, aside from production quality, the instrumentals are pretty decent. The light acoustic guitar work in ďLoverís GameĒ and ďA Whole New TwistĒ is simple, but pleasant. Other than that, I found the album pretty forgettable, which pains me to say 'cause I hate not liking music. Iím quite certain they worked hard on this album, and I never like panning a record when Iím sure they put their all behind it.

I remember when I first heard Hit The Lights. Many people didnít like the nasally sound of Colinís voice (and Nickís now), but there was something about the overall aura of the music that I liked. I think that when I first heard The Good Age, I was nostalgic for another HTL-type sound. I fell in love with This Is A Stick Up, Donít Make It A Murder, and I even really liked Skip School, Start Fights when others didnít. The review for SSSF was that the album didnít stick; it was forgettable. In the end, thatís about the only similarity I can give Apologies in Advance, which is now ironically titled after listening to it for this review.

Recommended if You Like: Decent instrumentals; an average voice; a slight likening to Yellowcard; apologies

myspace.com/thegoodage

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News