AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Doggy Style - 08.15.11

Interviewed by
Doggy Style - 08.15.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Doggy Style

facebook

1. How did you get your band name?
Eric Vedder: When an associate of the band, who will remain nameless, was a young kid and still a virgin he would lie about having sex a lot. One time he was telling another story about one of his fictional sexcapades and we called him on it. We told him that he was a virgin and to quit lying about sex. He said, "well I have done it doggy style" and we asked him to explain what that meant to him. He said, "When you get behind the girl naked and smack your boy weenie against her girl weenie." We all laughed and thought it was hysterical and the words just kinda always struck a funny bone with us. And besides the name Butt Fuck was already taken.

2. How did this band get started?

Ed Caudill: Doggy Style formed in Placentia California. I had known Mike Googles Scheafer from Junior High but had lost contact with him in High school. We had reconnected through a mutual friend. While visiting our friend, Googles was talking about some friends he was planning on jamming with. He also asked me where I lived. He wanted to show me his new Marshall Combo amplifier. Later that evening I heard a knock at the door and it was Googles standing there holding his little marshall combo amp. For the next hour or so, he demonstrated all the neat sounds his little combo could produce. Suddenly Googles announced that he had better get going because he had left his car running in the middle of the street. I stepped outside with him and sure enough there his car was running with the light on, doors open running in the middle of the street. It was at this moment I decided that I wanted to be friends with Googles. He had been trying to persuade me to jam with him and some friends of his and I finally agreed. Googles arrived at my house a couple of days later on our way to jam but I wanted to show up with a new song. So I wrote "Nympho" in five minutes while Googles watched. When I peaked through the tiny window at Pulsar, I could see Brad leaping from one end of the room to the next. I could see Lou with hi green mohawk and I could see Ray sitting in a chair with his legs perched up on his amp. By then Googles had entered the room and was playing, and while he played, he kept falling to the ground. I thought to myself, “Wow,” this looks like a great group to get involved with. When I entered the room to jam, I presented "Nympho" along with my other material. Fortunately, Brad, Lou and Ray loved my material and we began to rehearse it immediately. It was like magic; all the pieces fit perfectly and we sounded incredible. Nonetheless, I only agreed to jam with them and play some shows. At the time, I was busy with my main project HVY DRT and they would not have me jamming in any other projects. Brad and Lou begged me to show up at the next rehearsal just to help out, and I did and this just kept repeating until I officially joined the band several weeks later. I was almost immediately kicked out of HVY DRT, a band that I had started from its beginning. But it didn’t matter, I knew DS was the band to be in.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Tim Fyke: Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Adolescents, TSOL and The Detours
Joe Ruffino: Ramones, Joan Jett, KISS, and Green Day
Mark Tolbert: TSOL, KISS, Green Day, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Bad Religion, The Damned, Generation X, The Runaways, X, The Plasmatics, DEVO, The Clash, The New York Dolls, The Adolescents, Social Distortion, HVY DRT, GBH
Danny Staggs: The Chiefs, The Crowd,Adolescents,The Brat
Eric: TSOL, ADOLESCENTS, The Damned

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Tim: Elvis, The Beatles Led Zeppelin, 3 way tie. Because if you’re not going big, then get the fuck out of the game
Joe: Joan Jett, and Green Day
Mark: TSOL, KISS, Green Day, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Bad Religion, The Damned, Generation X, The Runaways, X, The Plasmatics, DEVO, The Clash, The New York Dolls, The Adolescents, Social Distortion, HVY DRT, GBH
Danny: I would tour with the Beatles. Beatlemania must've been unreal!
Eric: The Damned. Some girl told me that Rat Scabies always had the best drugs

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Tim: 7/11 hot dogs hot off the grill.
Joe: Peanut Butter, and Jelly, and Power bars
Mark: Popeye's Fried Chicken. I forget whether it was a Bob's Big Boy or an iHop, but when we were touring with MIA and Subterfuge we dined and dashed that place and it was eeeeasy.
Danny: Honey Roasted Cashews. Best for roadtrips
Eric
: Pizza

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Tim: Everyone including your mama. Because “we’re the answer for the punkers”. We march to the beat of our own drummer Joey Ruffino. We have a little something to offer everybody. I’m sure our music would irritate a few people out there. That’s the plan shhhh .
Joe: Actually they don't have to if it's not they're style of music, but there is quite a variety of tunes on the new CD.
Danny: Doggy Style is recording/performing music which is catchy, has a message whether serious or not, and hopefully reaches fans, new and old
Eric: If you like fast cars that turn into giant robots that fight evil monsters then you will love Doggy Style!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Tim
: Pete Rose in his heyday. He is the punkiest athlete ever. He gave it 100%, made a few mistakes and now he’s banned from the Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame has no credibility without one of its greatest player.
Joe: Lance Armstrong
Danny: Lance Mountain
Eric: David Beckham

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Tim: Justin Bieber, because he has cool hair.
Joe: My mom, family, band mates, and all of my friends.
Danny: The guys in the band for making Doggy Style a fun experience.
Eric: A Grammy?

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Tim: I’d turn the whole fucker upside down and start over. So much shit music out there right now. The kids need something new, fresh, exciting and anti-establishment. I’m not saying punk needs to return but something other than the stupid pop crap.
Joe: I wouldn't know where to start.
Danny: Play all types of music/bands on the radio. Not just the money makers.
Eric: I would set the time back to the 90's when local bands were gettting signed left and right and still made money.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Mark: While on tour with MIA and Subterfuge Eddie and I decided to ride with the Subterfuge guys in their motor home from OC to Santa Cruz and what we experienced in that block of time seemed like eternity. The band was physically fighting with each other, their drummer quit and threw all of his drums out of the moving vehicle, we were in the middle of nowhere and running out of gas in the middle of the night, the guitar player was shooting speedballs every 20 minutes, the singer was doing coke and drinking heavily and the hijinks ensued until we got to Santa Cruz. Needless to say Eddie and I literally kissed the ground when we got there. Their drummer walked into a music store and bought a new kit and we all lived happily ever after.
Ed: We played Vegas once and showed up at a pre-party gig nude. People were stunned but loved us. Unfortunately, we had no way of upping the ante once we did this. Now they were expecting this on stage. As we played our set people kept jumping on stage and trying to pull our pants off, and finally during a dog pile with me, Brad and Ray, someone succeeded in pulling my shorts off. Luckily, my guitar covered my private parts for the rest of the set. Interestingly, I heard from Vegas locals that we were wanted by police in Vegas for indecent exposure.
Mark: We played San Francisco and Ray and I wanted to party. We were invited to go to a party and we got held hostage by Jello Biafra in our room while he lectured us on what it was to be a punk etc. -. that was a funny situation.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Tim: No reason for smart answers here. Absolute Punk is doing the lord's work. Punk has no solid medium to get the word out. I support you guys. At-a-boy or girls.
Joe: Absolute Punk .
Danny: Associated Press?
Eric: What the hell is AP.net?

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Tim: Super Punkers. The song is busy in a good way. Everyone in the band is playing balls out. The crowd usually goes wild.
Danny: Beat Your Meat, Side By Sid
Eric: Super Punkers

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Tim: NYC. New York is the greatest city on the planet. Wouldn’t want to live there but a great place to visit.
Joe: Hawaii
Danny: Diego Garcia
Eric: Barstow

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Tim: Bay City Rollers S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!
Joe: Beatles
Danny: 80's Top 40
Eric: Social Distortion, Flipper, X

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Tim: I know this sounds cliché’, but I’d like the power to heal. I hate a lot of people in this world and for good reason but I don’t like to see suffering.
Joe: Flying. Why? Freedom.
Danny: The power to heal and rid people of disease.
Eric: X-ray vision (for obvious reasons).

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Tim: I like to wear my underwear backwards. Not sure why. But only before a show.
Joe: I always take a piss first, then I get a coke, easy ice while on stage playing.
Danny: Grab a coke about an hour before we go on.
Eric: Put on green clothing.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Tim: I think Obama is doing a wonderful job.
Joe: I'm a normy, (normal).
Danny: I drive a 1964 VW Bus I've owned for 16 years.
Eric: I am really the brains and talent in the group.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Tim: Main stream radio blows. All corporate bull shit. Come on Lady Gaga and Kate Perry? How about some rock and roll like the old days? Internet Radio is where it’s at. And the nice thing is you can say shit, fuck, cock sucker and tits and not get bleeped.
Joe: Maybe..
Danny: I don't care for the radio much. I think more radio stations should give the underground bands a shot on primetime.
Eric: I think that FM radio today is pretty lame. And some of our songs would be a perfect fit.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Eric: Beating our meat. Separately of course. But we do talk about it openly.
Joe: Ride 20 speed racing bicycles, and run.
Danny: I love to surf, spend time with family, drive my bus and go to Punk and VW shows.
Eric: I like to rollerblade along the beach with friends.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Joe: Fitness.
Eric: I can find my own G-Spot every time.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests