AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Take Cover - The Dreamer and The Realist Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.13
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.63
Lasting Value 8.06
Reviewer Tilt 8.06
Average: 79%
Inside AP.net

Take Cover - The Dreamer and The Realist

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (08/18/11)
Take Cover - The Dreamer and The Realist
Release Date: July 19, 2011
Record Label: Unsigned

Take Cover has a lot to live up to before listeners even delve into their first listen of The Dreamer and The Realist. The band’s name comes from the title of a fantastic song by Acceptance, and naming your band in the vein of a respected group always comes with a tiny bit of hype. Thankfully Take Cover’s brand of pop rock shouldn’t let anyone down, as The Dreamer and The Realist is a standout among poppy releases this year.

While 2011 has been stuffed full of quality new music, Take Cover’s first full-length release is standing on solid ground with little competition in the realm of pop rock. The Dreamer and The Realist is, for a debut record, incredibly cohesive and also refreshingly not boring. Many hotly anticipated poppy releases this year have fallen flat, but Take Cover makes up for those by blipping in from off the radar with this record.

The unsigned group from Minneapolis, Minn., kicks things off with a bang on opener “Declaration.” The song is a little less poppy than listeners would probably expect – the gang vocals do a lot for the entire landscape of the track – but regardless, it’s an urgent opener with a message to get across. Most listeners will be tapping their foot after the first verse, and the lyricism from lead vocalist Ryan Wickard comes in the form of a promise – a promise of hard work and survival. As such, “Declaration” essentially plays out as an anthem for DIY bands everywhere, played with an accessibility rating that’s off the charts. The gang vocals present here sort of set the metaphoric tone for rest of the record, as Take Cover unleash their best work in short, memorable bursts – a good characteristic for this genre.

“Back Pedal” is another mainstream ditty, this time with lyrics that are about being drunk or something. While the song is a little less serious, it’s a potential future single, and more importantly, it’s not the norm on the record. Most of the lyrics present on The Dreamer and The Realist are more thought-out than one would initially expect. “When This Is Over” shows a little bit of that more advanced sound. It’s almost equally acoustic-based verses and high-flying, plugged-in choruses, and the cries of, “Tell me, why does it feel like I’m always losing my mind? / Like I can’t get a grip on this heart of mine / I feel the world upon my shoulders, wake me up when this is over,” show much more thought than earlier tracks.

The unquestioned standout on the album comes in the form of “Don’t Say You Love Me,” a song that deserves special attention despite its terribly generic name. The song is the band’s best musical performance, taking an indie rock vibe in the verses, much like The Graduate, to complement the most monster chorus on the record, which is reminiscent of Canadian giants Mariana’s Trench. This song is everything about Take Cover’s sound perfectly blended into one explosive track – a track that can please music fans on all ends of the spectrum. One listen to the danceable chorus of “Don’t Say You Love Me” should be enough to have a representative from most major labels sending this band a slew of emails.

The Dreamer and The Realist is an interesting name for this record. Blending pop rock with some more focused and thought-out musicianship makes for soaring, poppy catchy parts – the dreamer? – and more grounded, yet equally enticing, rock parts – the realist? Maybe I’m trying too hard here. Either way, I have faith that the 10 songs on this record are going to launch Take Cover much farther than they could have predicted. This record, with production from Jordan Schmidt (All Time Low, Motion City Soundtrack), is as radio-ready as they come from a band of this caliber. It would, quite frankly, be irresponsible for some label to not scoop this band up very soon. Choruses this big don’t belong in the back of dirty vans, but in speakers of amphitheaters.

So, to Take Cover: Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Take the next step, whatever that may be. This band won’t be unsigned by the end of 2011 and this review will not be the last time you hear their name.

8.5/10

Recommended If You LikeAn unexpected and awesome fusing of The Graduate and Mariana's Trench.
Follow Me On TwitterYou stood beside me when things were going my way, then turned your back when they started getting crazy.
Bare Essentials1. Declaration
2. Run Away
3. Back Pedal
4. Everything You Do
5. Don't Look Down
6. When This Is Over
7. Reintroduce Myself
8. Don't Say You Love Me
9. Running In The Wrong Direction
10. Wake Up
Produced By: Jordan Schmidt, Run Time: like 35 minutes
AP.net Profile (Stream of entire record!)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
11:23 PM on 08/18/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
For real this record is fucking massive. Puts much bigger releases like the All Time Low record to shame. This is second for me in the poppier category this year, behind Jack's Mannequin only.
11:34 PM on 08/18/11
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
Sounds great, and I'm enjoying what I've YouTube'd up from them just now. May purchase on payday, been looking for a new band to indulge in.

Also, and I swear I'm not trying to be a dick here, but why is the score out of 10 now? I'm totally on staff's side when it comes to how stupid it is when people harp on the score, but I don't see how this new system makes a difference... as 8.5/10 is literally just a different representation of 85%.
12:04 AM on 08/19/11
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
caught you, so take cover er
12:05 AM on 08/19/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Sounds great, and I'm enjoying what I've YouTube'd up from them just now. May purchase on payday, been looking for a new band to indulge in.

Also, and I swear I'm not trying to be a dick here, but why is the score out of 10 now? I'm totally on staff's side when it comes to how stupid it is when people harp on the score, but I don't see how this new system makes a difference... as 8.5/10 is literally just a different representation of 85%.
Yeah, the numbers are going to be how reviews are scored on the new version of the site so I started early.
12:09 AM on 08/19/11
cherrycokewhore
Registered Pokémon Trainer
User Info.
Agreeing that this is one of the best pop rock records this year. Hope to see these guys go far.
01:56 AM on 08/19/11
hahasnorlax
User Info.
Nice review Nassiff. Definitely gonna check these guys out because of it. Sounds like my type of album.
03:55 AM on 08/19/11
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
Marianas Trench you say, I will be checking this out
06:41 AM on 08/19/11
leifstar
l.i.a.r.
User Info.
Great review, fits perfectly. People should also check out their Self Titled EP. Particularly "One more shot". Also waiting in the moment is a great ballad.
06:55 AM on 08/19/11
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
For real this record is fucking massive. Puts much bigger releases like the All Time Low record to shame. This is second for me in the poppier category this year, behind Jack's Mannequin only.
disagree about "don't say you love me," i thought it was the weakest on the album haha. "when this is over" is probably my favorite, though i agree that it's a really solid release (i gave it a 4/5 haha).

also, if you're actually interested in why the album's titled the way it is, i asked them in my interview haha: (http://mindequalsblown.net/2011/06/i...ew-take-cover/)

Quote:
Where does the title of the new album come from?
The Dreamer and The Realist‘s title is derived from the challenges involved with pursuing your passion versus what in reality is actually in store for you. Its about the choices you make and how they pave the way for your journey in life, for better or worse.
07:22 AM on 08/19/11
70x7brandnew
User Info.
Was expecting this great review. Have you listened to their two EP's Thomas? Both fantastic. The acoustic one is especially amazing. It was one of the finest acoustic EP's since TSL's Make Yourself at Home.
07:44 AM on 08/19/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
disagree about "don't say you love me," i thought it was the weakest on the album haha. "when this is over" is probably my favorite, though i agree that it's a really solid release (i gave it a 4/5 haha).

also, if you're actually interested in why the album's titled the way it is, i asked them in my interview haha: (http://mindequalsblown.net/2011/06/i...ew-take-cover/)
Thank you.
08:34 AM on 08/19/11
kristanxmarie
so this is progress...
User Info.
Great review. I love their earlier EPs and was hoping the full-length would be just as good. Definitely not disappointed.
08:35 AM on 08/19/11
viggie55
Marketing Manager, Leakmob Records
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band is too good. I love "Don't Say You Love Me" but I think I went w/ "Back Pedal" or "Everything You Do" as my fave. Either way this album from front to back gives me a boner. Hope they blast out to a label soon.
09:29 AM on 08/19/11
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
Was expecting this great review. Have you listened to their two EP's Thomas? Both fantastic. The acoustic one is especially amazing. It was one of the finest acoustic EP's since TSL's Make Yourself at Home.
They have three EPs if you count the acoustic one.

Anyways, great to see this band getting some recognition.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums