AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Sleepy Head - 08.21.11

Interviewed by: Jenny Tate (08/22/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Sleepy Head

Bandcamp
Facebook
Blogspot

1. How did you get your band name?
When I was fairly inactive, I used to go by "Feature Resignation" for a while there. I wanted to switch names for a few reasons: It's hard to say - every time someone would ask the name, they thought I was saying "future" instead of "feature." And it was difficult to explain the meaning behind the name. Sleepy Head was a friend of mine's idea because he described my music as "sleep-rock." It also just fits my overall personality and is very easy to remember.

2. How did this band get started?
I got started from a general need to write songs. Originally I just needed to get some feelings out and it's evolved into what it is today.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
A lot of artists probably say this, but far too many to name. To be as specific as I can: Incubus, Thrice, Band of Horses, Animal Collective, Switchfoot, Bjork, Dr. Dog, Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder (solo), Fleetwood Mac, Mavis Staples, Wilco, Boston, and Led Zeppelin...just to name off a few.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I'd have to say Incubus, without a doubt. It could be at any point in their massive career, as I've been a fan of them since '95. Mike Einziger is one of my favorite and most influential guitarists of all time and Brandon Boyd is the same for vocals. Just the amount of things I would learn with a band of that stature and that I hold that much respect for would be the greatest experience any musician could ever have.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Cheese balls and trail mix. All day.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I throw a lot of passion into my music. It's intelligent, engaging, and very easy to listen to and get a grip on. If someone listens and doesn't happen to enjoy it, bummer, but no worries. Preferences are there because we know what we like, so I just hope I can fit into that little area of the mind.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Not a huge sports-goer, but I'd have to pick Michael Jordan. That guy's been done for years now and still gets calls from Hanes!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My father, for fueling my thoughtful mind. My mother, for understanding how important it is to me. My wife, for encouraging me to sort through the fuss of life and make a great song or two out of it. And of course, the fans. They're the bread and butter of ANY career, after all.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Probably shut down Kazaa, Ares, and programs that resemble it, for starters. Also, and this is debatable, but I've always thought that pulling all music CD inventory out of big box retailers like WalMart, Target, Best Buy, etc. and putting them in record stores instead would really push more CD sales to the right crowds. Take away all of the terrible reality shows from MTV, MTV2, and Fuse, and put music videos back where they belong.

10. Memorable tour experience?
One experience out of many: Playing a show to NO ONE at a dirty, disgusting bar in Cincinnati and loading back up to the van, only to discover that the driver's side door had been rear-ended into the seat by someone drunk, no doubt, who drove off. Maybe not an enjoyable experience, but a memorable one to say the least.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is probably one of the few sites left that focuses solely on the artists and their music. Today's music industry is suffering, so it's great to have a place to go where people want to do something about it.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Set me in a house with all the essentials and some hiking gear in the middle of the desert for a couple of weeks and I'm made.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Boston, Journey, Styx, Rush, Stryper, and country music is all stuff I grew up on.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Just to be able to fly. No super strength or anything, just flight and super speed.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not particularly. I enjoy watching the other bands/artists while enjoying a beer or two.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That my favorite color is gray, my favorite animal is a squid, and I'm a huge video gamer.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I've heard very few decent radio stations. It just seems that unless you're Gospel, Top 40, or Rap, there's just no use. It's because of this that I'm not in any way concerned with the radio nor do I have any desire to be on the radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I work full time at Guitar Center as a Sales Manager and am going to school next year for photography. Aside from writing and playing music, I play plenty of video games.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm a pretty experienced wood-worker, actually. I can also play the recorder.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT