Brandon Schott - 08.22.11
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
From my mother and my father. They gave me life & a name - the two things I've used most in this world...
2. How did this band get started?
See question number one, though I'd rather not think about the details.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Crowded House (Neil Finn), The Beach Boys, The Breakups, Kirsty MacColl, Jon Brion, The Eels, Plasticsoul.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would love to tour with the early incarnation of XTC, mostly because I want to have had the experience of seeing them live. Otherwise, I would love to have been an opening act on The Eels w/ Strings tour so I could beg E to let me play his celeste during my set.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
A home cooked meal whenever possible!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because - you know----we're kinda good n'all and we guarantee no static melodies! Oh, and if you come to a show you're likely to walk away with a free kazoo. Seriously, who wouldn't like a free kazoo?
7.1. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Um. I'm a musician...a sports what now?
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
The academy, my mom & dad (see questions #1 & 2), my wife, edemame (for years of physical nourishment) and Pet Sounds (for years of spiritual nourishment).
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Bring back more mom & pop record stores & Tower Records! It's a part of the musical culture I still sadly miss - sifting through vinyl, listening to some osbcure band on the PA, sharing recommendations and passions...
7.2. WAIT - does bowling count as a sport? Can I pick The Dude?!
10. Memorable tour experience?
Playing a Borders Books & Music in my hometown in front of the accessories (next to the manga books) w/ many high school friends in attendence and my mom filming the show. Surreal and beautiful.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Discovery (see question number 9). Music blogs are the modern counter measure.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Of mine, "Exploding Angel" off my new record 13 Satellites cuz it's got so much f$#*&ing attitude. Of someone else's: "Thin Blue Flame" by Josh Ritter on vinyl, reading along w/ the oversized lyric sheet and dreaming.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Newport Beach, CA.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Michael Jackson - Thriller / The Bangles - Everything ("In Your Room" still rocks it, and I once requested "Eternal Flame" 3 times at a middle school homecoming dance).
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Teleportation (but only if it's a self-generated super power and not a machine - I still have nightmares about The Fly). Would love to be able to have fish & chips in Soho Square in London on the weekends...
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I listen to Otis Redding Live at Monterey before most shows - no better live performance captured on tape, nobody in the history of music worked a crowd better.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I had an operation on an ingrown toenail when I was 12. For real. My left big toe. (Oh, MAN I'm so glad that's out there now...)
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Internet / college radio / even Spotify via Facebook - home for real fans of music playing songs they are compelled to play. What's not to love?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Listen to vinyl, watch Dr. Who w/ my wife and chase my kids around the house. Divulging much more would be a "spoiler" for my next interview...:)
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I make a mean egg casserole. Actually, breakfasts are my specialty. A couple of my favorite recipes: 1) Salmon Dill Omlettes w/ cream cheese & cucumber 2) Blueberry pancakes w/ home-made strawberry sauce...
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |