Password

Album Review
Downers of the World Unite - Digital... Album Cover

Downers of the World Unite - Digital...

Reviewed by
Downers of the World Unite - Digital Teens/Nothing Looks good
Record Label: Thinker Thought Records
Release Date: November 23, 2010
Downers of the World Unite: Digital Teens/Nothing Looks Good is a bit of a compilation release, combing an old release, Nothing Looks Good, and their newer EP, Digital Teens. It’s a good idea to give fans a lot of material at the same time, but the new material is pretty noticeably better than the older stuff. I think Digital Teens on its own is pretty great, and Nothing Looks Good is alright, it just pales in comparison. But as a whole release, this is solid, and it shows how much Downers has progressed in not that long of a time.

The whole thing adds up to a little more than a half hour of music, split over 16 songs. Most of these are fast and short, especially on the earlier songs. There are some slower darker songs, such as “Meet Me At the Olive Branch”, and many songs have slower portions at some point, but its mostly fast riffs, screaming, and general disorder. The strongest track for me would be “The Great Apartment Fire”, because of its weirdly sung “There’s a party in the back of the neighborhood” hook, probably the weirdest and most catchy parts of the album, as well as the similarly sung “They won’t fuck you/they can’t touch you”. It’s a great song about not giving a fuck from what I can tell.

The whole first section is a great mix of hardcore songs, and I recommend it. The second half is much more raw, lower-quality, and gets pretty repetitive. The vocals sound more strained, the drums much less powerful, and the guitarwork is pretty good but the quality makes it suffer. It does a pretty good job of making the first EP sound so good, and showing where the band came from. But I doubt I’ll be going back to listen to it again.

I first encountered Downers of the World Unite opening for Everytime I Die almost a year ago. They played a relatively short set of fast short hardcore songs. Some of the songs kind of blended together, but they knew what they were doing and were having a good time doing it. And that’s pretty much how this release feels. Downers is not reinventing the wheel here, they’re playing fast heavy punk songs, and they’ve gotten pretty good at it. So go check out Digital Teens, and if you have 17 minutes to spare, check out Nothing Looks Good too.

Recommended If You LikeEverytime I Die, The Bronx, Trash Talk, Gallows

Facebook
This is one of my favorite t-shirts, and if I didn't buy it I would've forgotten to check them out after seeing them.
This review is a user submitted review from incognitojones. You can see all of incognitojones's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version