AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dangerous Summer, The - War Paint Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.7
Musicianship 9.65
Lyrics 9.8
Production 9.05
Creativity 9.35
Lasting Value 9.8
Reviewer Tilt 9.05
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Dangerous Summer, The - War Paint

Reviewed by: Aziraphale (09/01/11)
The Dangerous Summer - War Paint
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: July 19, 2011

Clearly, there were a couple of words on frontman AJ Perdomo’s mind when penning the lyrics for The Dangerous Summer’s follow up to the outstanding Reach For The Sun. The album is chock full of references about hands (physical touch), home (and finding it in something you weren’t expecting), and the concept of places as more than just physical space. Of course, there’s much more to it than that, but listeners with anxious ears are going to pick up on heavily repeat themes; But one concept Perdomo clearly has no need for is ‘sophomore slump’. As one of the most massively anticipated releases of the year, War Paint is a step beyond the previous career-defining work of the guys from Ellicot City. It’s densely emotional, sonically aggressive, and undeniably well crafted.

Perhaps, at this point, more praise for this record is unneeded. The Dangerous Summer is a group that has built a reputation that can’t be denied. And yes, while Perdomo’s writing is the primary reason for the bands achievements, War Paint represents a progression from previous material due also to the rest of the band transitioning from good to great; a fact that often gets overlooked when your band features one of the scene’s defining voices.

Despite the intensely deep nature we’ve come to expect from the music, a refreshing handful of tracks on War Paint manage to be downright fun without sacrificing any of the soul-probing layers of meaning. Songs like “Parachute” and “Miscommunication” both sport hooks that pump up the energy like an adrenaline rush, accompanied by an assault of guitars and a pounding rhythm section. And while it’s not the bands most appreciated approach, “No One’s Gonna Need You More” is a straight up ballad worthy of a concert hall packed with voices singing lines from the bridge “You’re the home I’ve been dying to make/And the gold that God didn’t take.”

Instrumentally, the band has never been more on point. While I could appreciate the signature delay-ridden guitar leads and down-tuned rhythms on Reach For The Sun, everything has been kicked up a notch on this record. Every guitar line is perfectly crafted to truly add another layer, and not just more noise. Songs like “Siren” and “I Should Leave Right Now” benefit the most from the often-used piercing guitar lead, while the aforementioned “Parachute” and single “Work In Progress” benefit the most from the driving rhythm guitars. But nothing is doing more favors for the bands sound than the drums from Spencer Peterson. His style is one of the most recognizable pieces of the music, and he delivers knockout performances on every single track.

On the opposite end of the presentation spectrum, I initially had some problems with vocal delivery on this album, and it took a few full listens for it to stop catching my attention in a negative way –most notably Perdomo’s newfound stylization of hard “ay” vowel sounds. Coming seemingly out of nowhere, this is still really only a nitpick; in the long run, it’s not going to detract from an album this monumental. And trust me, you will be holding onto this album for the long run. Lyrics of the bridge in the album’s closer “Waves” have cemented War Paint in my frontal lobe for years to come as Perdomo sings, “I see the side of things that won’t show up/I’m not involved in that/I see that art is making something loud/when it’s silent out I yell/and this in my head/I don’t need a writer to tell me how I breathe/this is the war to end all wars”

I would argue that the best music is a combination of writing that is honest enough to not only reveal emotion, but powerful enough to reveal in a listener a truth about themselves. Add in the aural element that can make a message stick in a way that only music can, and you’ve got something truly special. This is what The Dangerous Summer has achieved on War Paint.

Recommended If You LikeBrand New, Reach For The Sun, things of true value, albums with no obligatory acoustic song

www.myspace.com/dangeroussummer

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24.
11:03 AM on 09/05/11
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Quote:
But nobody is doing more favors for the band’s sound than drummer Tyler Minsberg. His style is one of the most recognizable to me since first hearing the band almost two years ago, and he continues delivers in a monumental way on every single track.

Tyler didn't record the drums on this album.
11:13 AM on 09/05/11
maichel0109
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review, completely agree with you, but Tyler didn't record the drums for War Paint, I can't remember who did, but I'm sure that it wasn't him.

edit: damn, beat me by a second
11:18 AM on 09/05/11
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
I don't remember his name, but the drummer who used to play for Hidden In Plain View recorded drums on this. Fantastic review though.

edit: it was Spencer Peterson.
11:27 AM on 09/05/11
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
why was this review put up? this is the 3rd or so review that does nothing but gush with blantant fanboyism. it's getting redundant.
12:02 PM on 09/05/11
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
why was this review put up? this is the 3rd or so review that does nothing but gush with blantant fanboyism. it's getting redundant.
Because he has the right to express his thoughts about an album he enjoys. The same goes with how reviewers choose to write about FYS, Yellowcard, and TWY.
12:13 PM on 09/05/11
mattpuch21
Puchinator
User Info.
This is definitely one of my favorite albums this year. It just amazes me in how they simplified everything but still progressed to make a better sound altogether. Can't wait to see them with The Early November this fall.
12:22 PM on 09/05/11
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Good review, unfortunately i didn't really like this album which was a step down to Reach For The Sun. So many songs sounds the same... Work In Progress, No One's Gonna Need You More, Everyone Left and In My Room are the only standouts and my favorite songs as well.
01:16 PM on 09/05/11
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Not bad. And yes Tyler didn't record drums, and AJ didn't play bass on this record.
01:57 PM on 09/05/11
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Nice review, although I don't understand your initial disappointment in the vocal delivery - Perdomo sounds great throughout the record.

Anyway, AOTY
03:26 PM on 09/05/11
Matt14
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not bad. And yes Tyler didn't record drums, and AJ didn't play bass on this record.
AJ didn't record bass on Reach For The Sun either. Cody done that as well. AJ works on lyrics and melodies right until the last minute.
08:03 PM on 09/05/11
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Nice review, although I don't understand your initial disappointment in the vocal delivery - Perdomo sounds great throughout the record.

Anyway, AOTY
Even over Major/Minor? I'm sure you need more time with it, but I have seen you putting much praise into it.
08:17 PM on 09/05/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Even over Major/Minor? I'm sure you need more time with it, but I have seen you putting much praise into it.
God Major Minor is phenomenal.
08:24 PM on 09/05/11
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Yeah I love Major/Minor, but War Paint just means the world to me (as did/does Reach for the Sun). Only record that may top it for me this year is Lydia's upcoming record (haven't heard it yet but Illuminate is my favorite record of all time)

Major/Minor
is in my top 5 for the year though
08:30 PM on 09/05/11
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Yeah I love Major/Minor, but War Paint just means the world to me (as did/does Reach for the Sun). Only record that may top it for me this year is Lydia's upcoming record (haven't heard it yet but Illuminate is my favorite record of all time)

Major/Minor
is in my top 5 for the year though
I can understand that. I just recently (as of the last few months) have gotten into TDS and I enjoy them a lot, as I do War Paint. But I don't think TDS can top Thrice for me, I am still waiting for physically get M/M to listen to it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums