1. How did you get your band name?
When I was younger I used to go to a lot of anti-Nazi protests and they very often "escalated," which was a great idea for a name. SS-KALIERT means “it is escalating” and is usually written Es Eskaliert, but we just put a little bit of Punkrock Provocation into it so now we have SS-KALIERT.
2. How did this band get started?
Torsten and I wanted to start a band in 2003 because most local bands sucked (we did too when we started), and so we asked Fab if he would play drums. He was the only member who knew how to play his instrument. So we just started kicking it! It took a while of playing before I’d consider us a solid band...probably since A.G joined in 2007.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Way too many: past and present Hardcore, Street & Anarchopunk bands to mention all of them. Ones I’d have to mention are: The Virus, Terror, The Casualties, Blood for Blood and the Exploited.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would LOVE to tour with TERROR from LA one day. They are the best live band I’ve ever seen, their music is in your fucking face Hardcore, as it should be, and the lyrics are punk as fuck!
5. Best food to eat on tour?
The quickest is fastfood shit like McDonalds or Burger King, but it’s so not healthy. Probably buying stuff at a supermarket for the road that lasts until you arrive at a venue and wait for catering is the best way to go. I try to live very healthy with a lot of proteins and vitamins so I go with a lot of milk products and fruit.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we put a lot of time, energy, and heartblood into our music!
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Bruce Lee – is the reason really required?
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Family, friends, People Like You Records international, Weird World and Crawlspace Booking, all the supporters who helped us get there, Punkcore Records, FNS Records and definitely NOT god!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Destroy the ability to get free downloads and burn out the vocal cords of a lot of people so that I never have to hear them sing again.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Damn, there where so many. Worst was Las Vegas 2007 and St. Petersburg 2009. In Vegas some gang or crew fight started outside and it ended that the clubroof was on fire so we had to cancel the show after 2 or 3 songs. In St.Petersburg, Nazis made a bomb threat on the venue so they turned off the power, and when we got out of the club, there were police and media everywhere. Best tour experience is every time you play a great, packed show and people go nuts. That can only be topped when the promoter gets enough to drink and great food!
11. What does Absolutepunk.net mean to you?
I think it’s very important that online punkrock zine’s exist. Because these days sadly, it seems the magazines are dying out so at least kids can inform themselves on another level. So my respect for doing that. Especially because reading it is for free, but working on it costs a lot of time and money!
12. What is your favorite song to play?
We haven’t played the new ones live yet, but so far “Anti-Authoritär” and “Talking” are my favorites. They are very simple and catchy, that’s why =)
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
So far Barcelona,Spain. You have cars all over the place, a beach to chill out, and a beautiful countryside. So if you want action in the night and chilling during the day, then Barcelona is where you wanna go!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Haha – please don’t ask. Gennesis and Meat Loaf. My Dad used to put them on every single time we went on vacation.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying – because air fare and gas is so fucking expensive it would save a lot of money on touring =)
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Let me think…
They know that we are beautiful people – check.
They know we play great music – check.
They know we love then – check.
Ha ha, no seriously now. I really don’t know what to write here. There are probably reasons why they don’t know certain things…maybe that we always pick on eachother for fun?…I don’t know ha ha.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I don’t really listen to the radio, except when I’m at work and there it mostly annoys me. So I think we’re probably too rough for the radio cuz I’ve never heard our kind of music on the radio. But it would be funny to hear our song “Fuck Off and Die” between Britney Spears and Justin Bieber.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Chilling, partying, or going on vacation...but that is very rare :(
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I’m very good at organizing and planning stuff. But it’s not really hidden, because I work with that.