AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

A Poetic Yesterday - 08.30.11

Interviewed by
A Poetic Yesterday - 08.30.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

A Poetic Yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmIwAQqlg-g
www.facebook.com/apyarmy
www.twitter.com/apyarmy

1. How did you get your band name?

We were at a jam having a few drinks and someone was suffering a nostalgic night and came up with ‘A Poetic Yesterday’ as we had all been playing in bands for years. The band actually prefer ‘APY’ these days but, to be honest, it’s just awesome people ask what our name is. ha

2. How did this band get started?
As I said we have been playing in band since we were kids. Me and Rich and have been playing music together since we were 14. I think we went to an Aerosmith show and were sold on the idea of playing live but without the leopard print stretchy trousers and blonde highlights!

3. What bands are you influenced by?
It kind of varies from person to person. Dave is really easy going and likes hip hop, punk, metal etc. I'm more of a band guy, and writing-wise I'm into Rise Against, Deftones, Brand New, Nirvana just to mention a few. I would say Whitfield Crane has an awesome voice and I would give my left nut to see Ugly Kid Joe.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

The Used look like they can party and maybe Rage Against The Machine as I think our post-lash political debates would be deep.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
The free food, ha! There is a chicken place near our home town called Rooster House.....we travel out of our way to get there!! There is also Allen’s near our studio at Banter Music HQ, so I guess it’s all about the fried chicken... fuel of champions!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We play fast-paced, high energy music and we are not a gimmick band. We just love to play. I would say APY are a band for fans of real music. We don't go out there trying to be the fastest or the heaviest or the best looking (well maybe our catalogue model guitarist, Rich) but we just love doing what we do and I'm told it shows in the music.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

It would be GSP, Georges St-Pierre, a UFC fighter. He is unstoppable and seems down to earth.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

The usual..... family and friends, and I would defo include our label guys (Adam the man of steel and Liam Andrew Wright) as we had a party recording Revolutions. I would also thank Comedy Central for bringing Futurama back as Zap Branigan is a hero of mine.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Less copy cat bands - I would reward musicians that try to write from the heart instead of just for the TV.

10. Memorable tour experience?

There are loads! A stand out would be wrestling on top of the tour bus with my band mate after a heavy night and ending up sleeping in someone’s study and their mum bursting in. There were five guys in their pants just laying around; I think she thought she had hit the jack pot! We also ended up crashing a wedding party after a show a few weeks ago. There was a kid there who thought we were the Jackass crew so Ry dived in the fountain and started splashing around. For some reason the kid started to climb this oak tree and I thought he was gonna jump in. It was awesome watching the kid’s dad fish him out the tree....but stuff like that happens all the time with us!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Its awesome to have a site where you can voice an honest opinion. I hate the idea of people buying good review or write ups; absolute punk is a place where freedom of speech exists and that is rare these days!

12. What is your favourite song to play?

We play a track called "William 'bill' Cooper". He is a true hero, so I would say that..... plus it always gets the pit going!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
It's an even toss up between snowboarding or surfing, but I would go with snowboarding in Whistler.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Friggin Bananarama as my big sister used to make me do dance routines with her!! But on a less tragic note, I listened to a lot of Offspring growing up and the Smash album is like the soundtrack to some of my favourite summers.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

It depends what movie or comic I am into at the time - it's like the last one I saw is my fave....Maybe I could be APYman and my power is a superhuman ability to throw right hooks and a unmatched tolerance to partying! However, I would probably be Superman – I’m more of a Marvel guy at heart but he has the most powers and the coolest hair!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really, but me and Dave have started doing the knuckle tap explosion thing just before the set starts. But that kinda just happens. That and shots!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I suffer with pretty bad asthma so to all the weezers out there who think they can’t be singers take a deep one and get on it!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I only listen to a very few stations as I can’t tolerate the pop culture at the moment, but on more underground stations I think APY could find a home. However with how big the net is now with Facebook and YouTube etc I think real music is finding its own path.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I'm an active guy so I surf, snowboard, skate, climb and all that. I also train at mixed martial arts when I get the chance.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Ha, not many! I'm kinda vain so they are all out in the open. I can do some pretty decent card tricks!

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:03 PM on 09/06/11
Fatalix
User Info.
Didn't realise these guys were from the UK. Pretty good, I just wish they were more, ah, intense.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos