AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sound Of Animals Fighting, The - We Must Become The... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 8
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Production 9.3
Creativity 11.8
Lasting Value 11.2
Reviewer Tilt 11.2
Average: 109%
Inside AP.net

Sound Of Animals Fighting, The - We Must Become The...

Reviewed by: Tom Good (06/07/07)
The Sound Of Animals FightingWe Must Become The Change We Want To See DVD
Release Date: May 1st, 2007
Record Label: Equal Vision

Let’s face it, Lover, The Lord Has Left Us… left a bad taste in a lot of mouths. After a promising fore into experimental indie rock territory with Tiger And The Duke in 2005, The Sound Of Animals Fighting wandered down a completely different path for their first full length, amplifying the “experimental” and all but completely dropping the “rock”. Apart from a few memorable standout songs, the album alienated a lot of potential fans due to its extremely unorthodox execution and departure from their debut EP. Perhaps the medium of a CD did not allow the band to completely bring their vision to fruition, but watching the songs performed is a different beast entirely. In August 2006, the collective of musicians left the comfort of their established bands to play a series of live shows, one of which was recorded and released as We Must Become The Change We Want To See. Consisting of unique theatrics and a wide range of styles, the concert may breathe new life into material previously written off on account of its eccentric nature.

Although members of the group are addressed by names of species of animals, their identities were not so secret prior to the show. Anthony Green, Craig Owens, Keith Goodwin and Rich Balling all make appearances to donate their superb vocal talents to the cause. As a result of the material chosen, a majority of the set, which consists of all 4 songs from Tiger and the Duke as well as the non-filler from Lover, The Lord Has Left Us…, sees Green at the helm. As a big fan of Tiger and the Duke, I really enjoyed watching these songs come to life. It’s been a while since Anthony Green has been onstage screaming and it’s a blast to watch. Harkening back to his vocal delivery pre Circa Survive, his stratosphere scraping screams have never sounded stronger. Typically hit or miss, his sung vocals were on point at this particular show, only falling flat a few noticeable times. The little drops in pitch are not enough to detract from the atmosphere of the concert; after all, this is not a studio recording. As always, Keith Goodwin is spot on as well. In fact, vocally, the members were all fairly consistent with the studio albums. I was a little apprehensive when I heard that these shows were going to happen because of the complexity of the songs on both of the releases. Despite the complicated nature of the tracks, musically they pull it off. The songs sound great live thanks to the band (consisting of members of the Rx Bandits) and were enough to put my apprehension aside. The tracks off of Tiger And The Duke are worth a look alone. Watching Craig Owens guest on “Act 1: Chasing Suns” or Keith Goodwin on “Act 3: Modulate Back To The Tonic” is truly a sight to behold and must have been incredible to witness live. The live performance of songs off of Lover yielded more mixed results. Some are great while others are lacking. “Skullflower” and “Horses In The Sky” sound slightly different and after watching then live, there is a greater understanding of how these songs are meant to be heard.

Aside from the music being performed, there is an endearing aesthetic quality to the concert. Two painters are present in the background creating some pretty interesting pieces while the band plays their songs. Dancers make several appearances to parade around and interact with band members, which adds to the overall atmosphere. It truly is unlike a lot of shows I have seen and surprisingly this is one concert DVD that pretty accurately captures the mood of such a grand event. Despite all of the great qualities of the DVD, there are a few minor shortcomings. In an age with 4 disc special editions, I guess I have become a little spoiled with bonus feature packed DVDS. There is little bonus material on this disc aside from a photo set; even an interview would have spiced it up a little bit. In addition to that small qualm, some of the songs that didn’t catch my ear on Lover, The Lord Has Left Us still do not impress me much live. “Un’aria” and “Stockhausen, es ist Ihr Gehirn, das ich Suche” were not favorites of mine when the band’s full length was released and watching them be performed didn’t really sway my opinion. Aside from these certain tracks, the rest of the songs make up an extremely solid set list. If you are at all a fan of this band, then you will not be let down by this documentation of a wonderful show. If the full length was too weird for you, don’t dismiss We Must Become The Change We Want To See without checking it out. Maybe a different way of listening may sway your opinion.

Tracklisting1.The Heretic
2. ACT 1: Chasing Suns
3. ACT 2: All Is Ash Or The Light Shining Through It
4. ACT 3: Modulate Back To The Tonic
5. Un’aria
6. Skullflower
7. My Horse Must Lose
8. Horses In the Sky
9. Stockhausen, es ist Ihr Gehirn, das ich Suche
10. This Heat
11. ACT 4: You Don’t Need A Witness
Listen to The Sound Of Animals FightingAP.net Profile | Myspace | Purevolume | Equal Vision Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22.
11:53 AM on 06/07/07
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
I saw a good amount of this and I have to say it's one of the better band DVDs I've seen. There's so much going on on stage that you never get bored watching it. I was also at the show and it was amazing.
11:56 AM on 06/07/07
pacemaker
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review Tom. I pretty much agree with you on this DVD. There are great moments, and there are bad moments (::cough::craigowens::cough::), but overall it is pretty stellar. Especially the way it was shot, and how everyone on stage gets a lot of camera time. And I'll be damned if Anthony Green isn't charismatic as fuck during this show... he makes Craig Owens look and sound like a complete foolish jackass.
12:23 PM on 06/07/07
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
I preordered this forever ago and got it the day before it was released. Watched it that night. Fell in love. Immediately made myself an audio version of the DVD. Love love love.
12:32 PM on 06/07/07
Mart2023
User Info.
Yeah I love this dvd, which was a surprise considering Lover....
12:37 PM on 06/07/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Lover... was god awful. Though I did enjoy "The Heretic", so its cool to see they added it to their live repertoire. I need to check this out. Fantastic review, Tom.
12:49 PM on 06/07/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
this is one of my favorite band DVDs ever. i've watched it so many times, and it has not lost its replay value. i wish i could've been at this show, and i wish they played more than four, hahah.

good review, but i think more credit is due to the rx bandits, because there are very, very few bands that have their live dynamic and musicianship. rxb are at the top of their game, and this live set would have been nothing without them.

/rxb fanboy

edit: the thing that pisses me off most about this release is that they couldn't even put it in a proper DVD case. wtf???
02:37 PM on 06/07/07
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.
awesome dvd, only i didn't really enjoy the heretic that much a'capella as on the album.. and stockhausen... is actually one of my favorite new ones : ) if they were doing this full time i'm sure it would be even better
03:38 PM on 06/07/07
refusedchick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think the review should have talked a bit more about the fact that all 5 members of the band playing in the DVD is THE RX BANDITS not featuring members, it's all of them and they are the only people playing the music in this DVD which is the GREATEST part of the whole thing. I do also LOVE every moment that Anthony Green, Keith Goodwin and the guy from the band the Autumns is singing. I also loved the painters who are Aaron Nagel who has painted the last two RX Bandits album covers and is in the band Desa. the other guy is Norton Wisdom who is mind blowing to watch paint live.

i went to two of these shows and I have to say they were soooooo mind blowing. This DVD is a defnite must have.
03:47 PM on 06/07/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
this is one of my favorite band DVDs ever. i've watched it so many times, and it has not lost its replay value. i wish i could've been at this show, and i wish they played more than four, hahah.

good review, but i think more credit is due to the rx bandits, because there are very, very few bands that have their live dynamic and musicianship. rxb are at the top of their game, and this live set would have been nothing without them.

/rxb fanboy

edit: the thing that pisses me off most about this release is that they couldn't even put it in a proper DVD case. wtf???

I think the review should have talked a bit more about the fact that all 5 members of the band playing in the DVD is THE RX BANDITS not featuring members, it's all of them and they are the only people playing the music in this DVD which is the GREATEST part of the whole thing. I do also LOVE every moment that Anthony Green, Keith Goodwin and the guy from the band the Autumns is singing. I also loved the painters who are Aaron Nagel who has painted the last two RX Bandits album covers and is in the band Desa. the other guy is Norton Wisdom who is mind blowing to watch paint live.

i went to two of these shows and I have to say they were soooooo mind blowing. This DVD is a defnite must have.
Yes, the band was pretty much the Rx Bandits. I didn't say anything bad about them. Credit is definitely due to them, I just didn't put it in the review because I didn't want it to be extremely long. I figured I had it covered when I said the music was pulled off incredibly well. I don't listen to the Rx Bandits much, but I think that they are incredible musicians and this DVD shows it.
03:57 PM on 06/07/07
lftcoastenvy05
is a bulletproof tiger
User Info.
good review.

its a shame that Matthew Kelly never gets credited for his performance though (not just talking about this review but other things I've read). the least that he gets is a comment about "that guy from The Autumns."
04:48 PM on 06/07/07
bowarrowapple
MustacheRodeo
User Info.
the show was amazing. and the video does it justice! i love seeing anthony in all of his passion. craigs vocals were an awesome mesh with anthony. the heretic was soo solid live, the band was on and perfect throughout all the chaos. i think this was a great idea for a show, and i think everyone should atleast check it out!

solid review!
05:53 PM on 06/07/07
refusedchick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree that Matthew Kelly should get credited all the time ( that guy from the Autumns) thanks for reminding me of his name he was excellent at the shows

and to Tom I was not meaning to sound negative toward you for not mentioning RX Bandits as much as I think they deserve I think your review was great. .. oh and by the way you should probably check out the new album from RXB because it's also incredible...
06:22 PM on 06/07/07
deecee85
Oh yessss
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
meh Lover is one of my favorite cds of last year
08:57 PM on 06/07/07
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
meh Lover is one of my favorite CDs of last year
Yeah, the haters can suck it. I mean, I was disappointed on my first listen, as I was expecting more of the same, but after that it grew on me like crazy.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums