Password

Album Review

Sullivan - Cover Your Eyes Album Cover

Sullivan - Cover Your Eyes

Reviewed by
Sullivan - Cover Your Eyes
Release Date: June 5, 2007
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
With their second album, Cover Your Eyes, Sullivan has altered their sound since their last release, 2006’s Hey, I’m A Ghost, which just left listeners wanting to cover up their ears. Ditching the tired post-hardcore rock sound that cluttered Ghost, Sullivan has added more of a pop-rock sensibility to Cover Your Eyes.

The first three tracks off the album immediately display the different route the band has taken. “F-Stop” reminds me a bit of Spitalfield, while “Goodbye Miss Havisham” has a lighthearted flair among it with a tinge of alternative rock in the bridge. “Tell Me I’m Wrong” is an attempt at power ballad, with quiet verses and a huge chorus. “Great Collection” is a hard-hitting, darker track full of aggressiveness, which gives us a nice change of pace from the previous tracks. “Dig Me Up” is one of the better tracks Sullivan has ever recorded, with an eerie intro as Brooks Paschal doesn’t over exert his voice and gently sings over it. The chorus is like a crashing wave, and works great as the midway point in the album.

Throughout the album you can hear what kind of pop rock bands influenced Sullivan, one of the biggest ones being Weezer. “Israel Hands” definitely brings that influence out, as the breezy intro and guitar riff in the chorus is very reminiscent to some of Weezer’s earlier work. “Fire Away” concludes the album with a rapidly played piano combined with the big-sounding guitar work giving the song a Something Corporate feel.

While some tracks are little too poppy/cheesy for my taste (“The Process” and “Olive Branch”), Cover Your Eyes is a solid album and huge improvement over the debut album. While the album offers nothing new, it’s always refreshing to hear a band improve. While the vocals are still an issue for the band, they have somewhat improved and are more tolerable. Drawing influence and inspiration from the aforementioned pop-rock bands in this review, Sullivan has found their sound, as the pop-rock mold fits them better. Hopefully, they’ll continue to improve and refine this sound, but for those who were disappointed in the debut or like Tooth & Nail’s brand of pop-rock, you should definitely check out this album.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. F-stop
2. Goodbye, Miss Havisham
3. Tell Me I'm Wrong
4. Great For My Collection
5. Florida Queen
6. Olive Branch
7. The Process
8. Dig Me Up
9. Israel Hands
10. Fire Away
Produced by: James Paul Wisner

Sullivan are
Brooks Paschal – Vocals
Zach Harward – Bass
Phil Chamberlain – Drums
Tyson Shipman – Guitar
Jeremy Stanton – Guitar

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
01:22 PM on 06/07/07
allisterkid
here since blink fansite
User Info.
Nice review Drew... hard at work. Keep 'em coming por favor.
01:24 PM on 06/07/07
alexxxisonfire
OneRecordPerDay.com
User Info.
I really didn't think the first album was too bad.
01:25 PM on 06/07/07
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
2006’s Hey, I’m A Ghost, which just left listeners wanting to cover up their ears
:[ I enjoy that album.
01:42 PM on 06/07/07
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
Great review.
01:45 PM on 06/07/07
Panthro21
wishful thinker
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really feel like the difference in the vocals from the last CD to this one is like night and day. With this release, the band has gone from one that I routinely made fun of to one that I routinely listen to.

It's a really good release.

The difference is in Wisner's production. He deserves a little more credit than you give him.
01:54 PM on 06/07/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
:[ I enjoy that album.
Haha that's fine, not hating on fans of the first album, I didn't like it that much that is all.
02:20 PM on 06/07/07
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
Definitely think this is an improvement over Hey, I'm A Ghost. Gonna try to pick this one up for real in the next few days.
02:21 PM on 06/07/07
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
I really feel like the difference in the vocals from the last CD to this one is like night and day. With this release, the band has gone from one that I routinely made fun of to one that I routinely listen to.

It's a really good release.

The difference is in Wisner's production. He deserves a little more credit than you give him.

I agree on the vocals. I feel like their singer learned how to use his pretty unique voice a lot better and didn't go directly for those high, frilly vocals. Good touch, I think.
02:24 PM on 06/07/07
falloftroys
User Info.
I'll have to disagree with the whole "Hey, i'm a ghost" diss there. I was not covering my ears for that, it was a great album.
02:26 PM on 06/07/07
hydraulicheart
The world is yours, so take it.
User Info.
“Dig Me Up” is one of the better tracks Sullivan has ever recorded, with an eerie intro as Brooks Paschal doesn’t over exert his voice and gently sings over it. The chorus is like a crashing wave, and works great as the midway point in the album.

I absolutely love that song and couldn't agree more with that description. Solid review.
03:00 PM on 06/07/07
zombiebrains
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
their first album was actually pretty great and this one is even better. alright review, though. could have been better.
03:04 PM on 06/07/07
Via Kyle
User Info.
I liked their first album and this one seems like a more solid effort. The only thing that gets to me is how short the album is in length.
03:34 PM on 06/07/07
uhhimetgreenday
User Info.
I liked their first album but think this album is a definite improvement, I really like Israel Hands
03:38 PM on 06/07/07
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Agree with the review, think it deserves a better grade than 69% though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos