AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Future Cat - 09.03.11

Interviewed by
Future Cat - 09.03.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Future Cat
Mike Coasey (vocals & lyrics) and Anthony Pepe (guitars & programming)

http://www.facebook.com/futurecatmusic
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tomorrow/id459444982

1. How did you get your band name?
Mike and I were out at a bar one night, and he turned to me and said that our band should be called Future Cat, which he had come up with based on a character from an anime show he had seen. Vanilla Sky is one of my favorite films, so when he said "Future Cat," I instantly thought of the nightclub scene where Penelope Cruz says to Tom Cruise, "I'll tell you in another life, when we're both cats."

2. How did this band get started?
About 6 years ago, Mike and I had been playing in a heavier band, Anoka, with some of our friends. This was not too long after his previous band, ArmsBendBack (Trustkill Records), had broken up. I started writing some mellower songs that didn't fit what we were doing in Anoka, and I showed them to Mike. He had always wanted to do some music that was more electronic and 80s-influenced, so we decided to start a side project to explore this other material. After Anoka had run its course, we continued to write songs for Future Cat intermitently over the next several years, until everthing aligned just right for us to finally record an album this year.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Classic 80s groups like Duran Duran, The Police, The Smiths, Tears for Fears; modern bands like Thrice, Deftones, Idiot Pilot, Jesu, Metric, Stars, etc.; as well as Bjork, the work of David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti, and more.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
It would be insanely cool to tour with The Police and Duran Duran.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
I haven't been on tour yet, but from playing countless shows in other bands, I've learned the hard way that it's certainly not fast food!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
If they like music that's a little bit off the beaten path, and music that's very melodic and memorable but also somewhat dark and sad, they will probably love Future Cat.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I wouldn't mind being Peyton Manning or Mike Vick right now, considering the huge contracts they just signed! (I'm a huge Eagles fan, for the record.)

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Everyone who's had a big impact on my life or shown me support, particularly my grandparents and my son.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The music industry, particularly the big record labels, need to stop clinging to their old business models and dragging their feet, so to speak, when it comes to adapting to the sweeping changes of the last decade or so. Instead of punishing consumers by insisting on foolish, restrictive DRM and one-time only digital downloads, I'd suggest that the labels embrace the technology available to us today and find new ways to incentivize purchasing music. For instance, I'm really intrigued by what Bjork is doing with her upcoming album, Biophilia. For those that don't know, she has a really cool interactive app on the App Store and is gradually releasing each song individually as an in-app purchase. I think it's a really innovative idea, and I hope more artists do something like this and more labels encourage and support their artists in doing so. I'm also really interested to see how iTunes Match and Amazon's Cloud Player fare over time. Hopefully the record labels foster these sorts of things, rather than pulling or restricting their content like many of the TV and movie studios are doing with Hulu and Netflix.

10. Memorable tour experience?
I've never been on tour, so that's a better question for Mike. I know he's got some crazy stories from his time in ArmsBendBack, particularly the Canadian tour they did with Poison the Well, Every Time I Die, and This Day Forward.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a great place to find music news and album reviews!

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Cellar Door" - it's the first song we wrote, and it still has some of my favorite guitar parts I've written.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I haven't taken a vacation in a while, but I love the beach, especially Stone Harbor, NJ.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Many of the bands we count as influences: Duran Duran, The Police, Tears for Fears, and so on. We both have a lot of nostalgia for stuff like Bush (especially "Glycerine"), Deftones, 311, a lot of bands that got their start in the early 90s.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I think it'd be fascinating, if not overwhelming, to have the power to hear other people's thoughts. You can never truly know someone completely since you'll never have access to their internal monologue, so it would be interesting to have that ability, to say the least.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
No superstitions really, but we both like to have a drink or two before we play a show.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
In college, I did an internship with the US Department of Homeland Security.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests