AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - 09.07.11

Interviewed by
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - 09.07.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Tragic Hero Records)

(Questions answered by Randy Roswell)

www.facebook.com/brighterthan1000suns
www.twitter.com/BTATSband

1. How did you get your band name?
We were playing a show at a venue in MA that doubled as a record store at the time. Before our set we were looking through the vinyl and saw the cover for Killing Joke's album "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" and felt that was a fitting name. Later on, we felt that the powerful meaning of the book of the same name by Robert Jungk and the concept of "a thousand suns" in Buddhist thought added enough weight to make our decision final.

2. How did this band get started?
Alex and I met in high school and have played together exclusively in various bands ever since. We met Angel a few years back when her old band did a show with ours and about a year after that we decided to start working together. After a few line-ups, we finally found Matt and the rest is history.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We are influenced by such a wide variety of music, it's crazy. Some of our biggest influences are Rush, Converge, Depeche Mode, Thrice, Moments in Grace, Yes, Tears for Fears, Further Seems Forever and Dream Theater.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
One band I think we would have fit well with was John Bunch-era Further Seems Forever. I got a lot of inspiration from that album and I think stylistically we'd meld together well. I also think playing with a band like Killswitch Engage would be awesome because they have catchy melodies, high energy, and there's a lot of crossover fans from that genre in our crowd as well.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Three of the four of us are vegan, so I tend to eat things like fresh fruit, tomatoes, carrots and other veggies, beans and tofu. It keeps your energy going and doesn't just fill your system with crap and you just plain feel good at the end of the day.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
As a band, we are concerned with making interesting art in addition to good songs, so I think that's one thing that sets us apart: the focus on making something a little more artful and a little more sonically fresh than what's out there today. Through the heavy use of ambience combined with a sort of spastic energy wrapped around the central idea of melody-focused songwriting, we can create a little different vibe or mood that I personally haven't heard many other people doing.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I gotta tell ya, with the exception of a little skateboarding and mountain biking, I don't follow sports at all, so my knowledge of which athletes are which is minimal at best!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My family, the fans and anyone that kept the business side of things churning and gave us some great opportunities, like my go-to man Randy Chase and our manager Josh.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Well, it's obvious that the current model is a little flawed. That's easy to see because it's not working the way it used to. I think that the big-dollar manufactured rockstars don't mean as much as they used to and a lot of people are seeing right though that. Especially the younger crowds. What that means to me is that labels need to stop playing it so safe and start scouting out some more unique, diverse talent. I think that by getting some newer, fresh sounds on the airwaves, people would be more excited to invest their money into it.

10. Memorable tour experience?
There have been a lot of great memories on tour, but unfortunately one incident sticks out the most. Last summer we were on tour down south and we had one more date in GA and then we were off home. We stayed at a hotel the night before and when we woke up the next morning, our entire trailer was stolen with all our gear inside. A complete loss totaling about $30,000. Sucked big time.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a place where a lot of people get together to talk about some cool music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I always get a charge out of "Walls Made of Glass." When that intro goes down, I get super pumped. "Warcry" is also one where I just want to tear it up on stage. "Crossing the Divide" is one of my favs in another way because I get to stretch out a little bit guitar-wise.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Japan!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Almost anything '80's. Especially the darker, moodier, synth-oriented stuff.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Time travel. I want to see the future. Fixing the past would be okay, I suppose, but I'm more of a forward-thinker.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Trying not to trip over cables as I connect them on stage!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Hmmm....I love vintage video games!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I never listen to the radio these days. I'm really not sure if it's the type of avenue that would help get us exposure to the right people, because any time I turn it on I always hear the same songs from the "'70's, '80's, '90's and today". If there's a station out there that plays bands like us, then I don't know about it.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I read, I play video games quite a bit (particularly vintage games), mountain bike, hike, cook, and watch a good movie.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I take cooking fairly seriously and love studying food quite a bit. People have often said that I should open my own vegan restaurant. I haven't, so I guess that makes it a hidden talent!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests