AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

American Diary - The Brightest Colors EP Album Cover

American Diary - The Brightest Colors EP

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
American DiaryThe Brightest Colors EP
Release Date: April 3, 2007
Record Label: Unsigned

Ah, powerpop, how I’ve missed you. Things just always seem brighter your with memorable hooks and high-pitched vocals. My sordid affair with the genre has lasted much longer than I ever anticipated. It’s a habit I can’t, nay, won’t quit. Recently, American Diary has slapped me across the face with their The Brightest Colors EP. Who was I kidding with all this alt-country and post-hardcore? Pop ‘til I die.

American Diary is still unsigned for some reason. This is not good, not good at all. I also feel obligated to note that nothing stunning is happening here, but there are still plenty of good times. Now that all the problems are out of the way, let’s get to the good stuff.

The Brightest Colors EP peaked my interest instantly. “The Goodbye Celebration” is a fantastic opener. The song starts softly and builds for a solid thirty seconds into one of the best choruses throughout. Brandon Ingley’s vocals are young and full of life. He isn’t concerned with being flat or sharp, which doesn’t become a problem as much as you’d think.

Standout track, “I Like You I Love You,” starts slowly with a low bass beat and light twinkling. Once the chorus comes in, Yellowcard’s Ocean Avenue will come to mind. Ingley is at his best when he yelps, “It’s like we never had a chance to take a breath and we'll stare for awhile and think out loud / Its like we never had a chance to meet / cause you're my summer tease!” The track almost makes me want to reenroll in high school. Almost.

I could call this a summer album, but that would be doing American Diary a disservice. The Brighest Colors EP is an album for all seasons, as long as you’re in the right mood. For me, it's already about nostalgia. For others, it could be the soundtrack to their young lives. Whatever your reason, just enjoy the simple, blasting melodies and raucous sing-alongs with friends. Stay young while you can.

Recommended If You Like: Yellowcard, Just Surrender, laffy taffy, The Morning Of, spending days at the pier or movies or arcade or juvie or pool

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
03:55 PM on 06/11/07
Cue the Sun
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Congrats on becoming staff, Blake!!! And good review as always
05:18 PM on 06/11/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Lookin good kid, good release as well
06:32 PM on 06/11/07
mortal soldier
User Info.
I actually didn't like the EP for the most part, but there's something pretty excellent about the full length previous. The EP's clear production doesn't really reflect the gritty powerpop these guys play.

Still good stuff though, can't wait for the next full length.
10:47 PM on 06/11/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
This band is good.

Congratulations on becoming an official staff member!
10:51 PM on 06/11/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
This band is good.

Congratulations on becoming an official staff member!

Thanks so much! Keep up the great work yourself.
12:46 AM on 06/12/07
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I describe this album as such: Hit the Lights with a spunkier Kenny Vasoli singing. It's typical pop-punk; I'm not going to turn it off if it comes on but I'm not going to look specifically for it.
01:00 AM on 06/12/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Congrats on making staff. This EP is really solid.
07:38 AM on 06/12/07
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
Good job, man!
Keep up the good work!
08:08 AM on 06/12/07
angelusdomini
Thiago (Tee-Ah-Go)
User Info.
Well written review. I'm going to check this out.

congrats on staff again!
08:15 AM on 06/12/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review Blake
10:22 AM on 06/12/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

thanks d000der. It's great to be on the same team
03:15 PM on 06/12/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Love for AD. And love for you, Blake.

03:46 PM on 06/12/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Love for AD. And love for you, Blake.

ive been waiting for you to comment. Your name is alllllllll over their press releases. I just figured you had already done this review, haha. I searched, nothing came up, I said "sweet" and set to writing. hahah.
04:48 PM on 06/12/07
drawkwa22
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review. i like you i love you is a good song.. but this recording is sooo much better than the full length- paul leavitt is amazing and the reason midi tracks are cool too.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos