Password

Album Review

Von Wolfe - Life's A Beach Album Cover

Von Wolfe - Life's A Beach

Reviewed by
Von Wolfe - Life's A Beach
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Von Wolfe is a band from Florida. They released an EP called Life’s A Beach. It is a relentless barrage of riffs, aggression, confusion, and chaos. It is fast, loud, angry, intense, technical, and pretty awesome. It makes me want to headbang. I want to fight people. I want to scream and punch things. I’m hyped up right now because I’m listening to it again to write this review. It is a monster of a first release from a band that I think is just getting started.

The EP starts off strong with “Out of Workaholic”, and never really slows down from there. Only six songs, the next twenty minutes feel like a huge adrenaline rush. The guitar work is frenzied, churning out riff after riff of quick pounding southern hardcore, without even seeming to get repetitive. The almost sludgy bass tones definitely hold the record together, as well as creating some of the most intense moments between. There are breakdowns, and definitely not simple ones. Von Wolfe gets heavy as shit on this record.

The vocals are very consistent throughout, with a sort of mid range scream that ventures into lower tones in select spots. There are a few examples of somewhat sung vocals, though I’d really classify it more like yelling. There is no standard singing, and no real choruses. The lyrics here are solid, but there is no real theme throughout the album. The opening track is about finding home, closing with the somber “home is where the heart is/why is my home so hard to find”. “Scumbaguhdonuts” is apparently written from the point of view of man realizing he is a scumbag, filled with both regret and some sort of pride in that fact. It features a great breakdown with the lines I claim to be a man, but let me tell you….a coward is all I am.” Other songs range from topics such as freedom and tyrants to sinking ships and Roman rulers.

This record really just shreds, that’s probably the best word for it. It’s an onslaught of riffs and anger and chaos, and its done very well. I would love to see these guys live, which may become more of a possibility because I definitely see big things for them in the future. I love this whole new wave of young hardcore bands coming up right now. Lots of passion, lots of skill, and they’re just getting started writing some great music. Can’t wait to see what these guys do next.

Recommended If You LikeEvery Time I Die; The Chariot; Gallows; Stray From the Path

Download the album on Bandcamp
Tell them they rule on Facebook
Follow them on twitter
REVOLUSHUN
This review is a user submitted review from incognitojones. You can see all of incognitojones's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
05:51 PM on 09/17/11
PetitnaindesÎles
Kaneki-kun, BON APPÉTIT
User Info.
Impressed by what i've heard, great review and thanks for the discover !
also i'll add (old) He Is Legend in the RIYL.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos