AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Transit - 09.19.11

Interviewed by
Transit - 09.19.11Transit is getting set to release Listen & Forgive on October 4, their first full-length release for Rise Records. This interview is accompanying the premier of "All Your Heart," the fourth track on the album. Featuring Patrick Stump, the song features scathing lyrical content towards those who have judged Transit unfairly in the past, but vocalist Joe Boynton calls it "one of the most positive songs he has written." Check out the interview below, and "All Your Heart" is streaming on their AP.net Profile.

Let's start off with an easy one: What's your name and what do you do in the band?

That is an easy one. My name is Tim, I play guitar and do some vocals in the band Transit.

My name is Joe and I sing in Transit.

Give us a state of the union address on Transit. Where are you guys at right now, what are you doing and how are you gearing up to release Listen & Forgive in just a couple of weeks?

Tim: Hmmm. We’re all bored. We’re anxious. We want the record to come out. It was such an emotionally and physically draining process writing and recording Listen & Forgive this summer. We put every ounce of ourselves into the record. Now were in this strange anxious time, waiting for it to come out. Happy with what we’ve done; ready for it to be heard and to play it.

Joe: We’ve been practicing a lot, organizing things a lot. We’ve got a bunch of touring coming up and we just want to push ourselves toward perfection. As soon as the record drops we’re on the road for six weeks straight.

Transit has had a busy 2011. After signing to Rise Records - a move that was predictably shocking to a lot of fans - you guys have put out a two-song 7" and recorded your second full-length, amidst a heavy touring schedule. Can you talk about just the whirlwind that this year has been, if the move to Rise was all you expected it to be and what that increased activity has been like for the group?

Tim: Whirlwind is a good word for it. It was definitely an interesting year. We’re always pressing forward, and I guess the productivity just feels natural. We never stop writing songs, and I think they always reflect the context in which they were written in. Weather it’s the weather, a season, a good week or a bad week- it’s expressed somewhere in the song. Promise Nothing was written in the dead of winter. It was freezing and fuck, we were touring in a van with no heat and playing shows to almost no one- it was miserable and frustrating. You can hear that in those two songs. On the other hand, I feel Listen & Forgive has a completely different vibe to it. For the first time, we took some time off and all got together in a room 4 or 5 times a week and wrote a record together. It was the summer, we were home, we were excited to try and write what we hoped could be a significant record- you can feel it in the songs. Musically, it’s got somewhat of a “feel-good” vibe. There was a lot of confusion that arose when we finished the record. Recording plans fell through, people were struggling- it was really frustrating. You work so hard on something just for its foundation to crumble. I can definitely hear a lot of that reflected in the songs, too. Lyrically it’s really dismal.

Joe: As for Rise Records, I have only great things to say. They’re great people, and really let us do what we needed to make the record we wanted to make. We couldn’t be any more content.

Let me preface this next question by saying that I think Listen & Forgive is the best release of Transit's career. It's a great blend of the group's very pop-punk roots and that sort of 90s emo that we heard on Something Left Behind and Promise Nothing. Can you trace Transit's musical progression for us a bit? The development of any pop-punk band is a marvelous thing to watch and you guys have gone in a direction that I don't think many could have seen coming, and I mean that in a good way.

Tim: Thank you, friend. Our “musical progression” is definitely a tough thing to trace. It all just has happened so naturally. We’ve been a band for more than five years now- we’ve all grown up playing in Transit. I feel that as we grow as people, so does our band. Listen & Forgive sounds the way it does because that’s what felt right.

Listen & Forgive has, in my opinion, heavily improved lyrics from Keep This To Yourself, which was a sort of a loose concept record. There are definitely recurring themes on Listen & Forgive, namely a lot about heartache and there is a lot of personal revelation going on ("It seems I only have two speeds / Too much too soon or not enough" ... "You made me into a monster / So I made you into art and I gave it to the world to rip and tear apart") - do you want to talk at all about the lyrical content of the new album? What's the story behind some of these lyrics? Is there a specific theme?

Joe: The general theme of our albums are usual a result of the time and our current state of minds. Keep This To Yourself is about what it took for me to get here. Listen & Forgive” is my life now and how fast it can all change, for better or worse. Keep This To Yourself, lyrically, it was somewhat self-involved effort on my part. Listen & Forgive is my attempt at giving people something other than myself. This time I'm hoping to give what I've learned and hopefully people can take more from this than just getting glimpses of the sadder parts of life.

Shifting focus to the song we are premiering today - "All Your Heart" is not the most aggressive track on Listen & Forgive, but the lyrics are heavy hitters. Can you give us some insight into this track specifically?

Joe: "All Your Heart" is my response to the people who occasionally make a point of trying to tear me down despite not knowing me. Everyone is allowed an opinion, but every now and then I see comments or hear rumblings about kids from other bands who get off on shitting on my band and I. These are the same kids who wouldn't dare give up their whole life for music, drop out of college, scrape money together to buy a van, steal Clif bars from gas stations just to eat on the road, and still feel they are entitled to all the success in the world. I promised myself after the Stay Home EP came out and I noticed people actually gave a shit about Transit that I wouldn't be offended by what an avatar of an ice cream sandwich might say about me or my band on a blog. “All Your Heart” is possibly the most positive song I have ever written, despite what it might appear to be about. Every band is dealt their own form of criticism, Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy was nice enough to be apart of this song and support this record by laying down his vocals on this track. I'm sure he has had his fair share of others trying to tear him down as well.

"All Your Heart" is my favorite track on the record, and part of that is because of Patrick Stump's fantastic guest spot in the bridge. How did the collaboration with Patrick come about?

Tim: We actually got in touch on Twitter, as futuristic and corny and funny as that is. He was looking for a band to open up for his solo stuff in Boston, and a few kids suggested he check us out. So, I sent him a little tweet to check it out too. He replied saying he was into it, and we exchanged a few messages. Patrick offered to sing on a track in the future, and the rest was history. He’s really great.

I think that's about it for now. Do you guys want to say anything else, or maybe plug some of your upcoming plans?

Tim: Thank you for having us. Please check out Listen & Forgive. We’ll be on tour with Bayside in Canada all week, then we will circle the US with Saves the Day, Bayside and I Am the Avalanche, and then Europe and the UK with Title Fight and Balance & Composure.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
10:48 AM on 09/19/11
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great interview.
Never heard any of their stuff, can't wait to check it out.
10:53 AM on 09/19/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Awesome Interview! I'm anticipating this album so hard...I'm getting too anxious for it and although I'm at school and cant listen to the song for like 30 minutes I'm sure its great! The Patrick Stump thing is so weird and unexpected but I'm sure its just awesome!

And for what Joe said the song was about. They told a story about how they played The Grog Shop in Cleveland and someone said they sucked and wouldnt stop talking shit so they told him he could come up and try to do better and he made himself look like a dumbass. Thats just awesome. I cant wait to hear the song!

Also Joe and Tim are seriously such nice guys, I havent really had a conversation with anyone else in the band but they all deserve the attention theyre grabbing.
11:22 AM on 09/19/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
diggin "All your Heart"

glad people are really taking notice!
11:24 AM on 09/19/11
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Transit rules and great guys all in the band. Pumped for this record and the tour.
11:42 AM on 09/19/11
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
Band is so ridiculously good.
12:09 PM on 09/19/11
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
Awesome Interview! I'm anticipating this album so hard...I'm getting too anxious for it and although I'm at school and cant listen to the song for like 30 minutes I'm sure its great! The Patrick Stump thing is so weird and unexpected but I'm sure its just awesome!

And for what Joe said the song was about. They told a story about how they played The Grog Shop in Cleveland and someone said they sucked and wouldnt stop talking shit so they told him he could come up and try to do better and he made himself look like a dumbass. Thats just awesome. I cant wait to hear the song!

Also Joe and Tim are seriously such nice guys, I havent really had a conversation with anyone else in the band but they all deserve the attention theyre grabbing.
That bums me out someone from Cleveland did this. Hopefully it does not impact whether or not they continue to play here.
12:12 PM on 09/19/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
That bums me out someone from Cleveland did this. Hopefully it does not impact whether or not they continue to play here.
It was waaaaay back haha so it didnt impact! They told the story last time they played the grog with IATA.

I believe the time it happened is when Transit came here with Man Overboard and TWY on New Years and TWY broke down and didnt show up till like midnight or something? It's what "New Years With Carl Weathers" is about.

Don't quote me but I'm almost positive haha
12:19 PM on 09/19/11
MJSchmidt
User Info.
It was waaaaay back haha so it didnt impact! They told the story last time they played the grog with IATA.

I believe the time it happened is when Transit came here with Man Overboard and TWY on New Years and TWY broke down and didnt show up till like midnight or something? It's what "New Years With Carl Weathers" is about.

Don't quote me but I'm almost positive haha
That's good. I get it, Cleveland is not the most pleasant place to travel to, so it sucks to hear stuff like that. As if there aren't enough reasons not to come to Cleveland. Bottom line, I can't wait to hear this song/record and hopefully see them live relatively soon.
12:20 PM on 09/19/11
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
so pumped for this! just listened to the new song! my ears came ;)
12:24 PM on 09/19/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
That's good. I get it, Cleveland is not the most pleasant place to travel to, so it sucks to hear stuff like that. As if there aren't enough reasons not to come to Cleveland. Bottom line, I can't wait to hear this song/record and hopefully see them live relatively soon.
Yes! See them at hob with std/bayside/iata Its gonna be rad!

Also awesome avatar wish Delay would get some attention
12:31 PM on 09/19/11
MJSchmidt
User Info.
Yes! See them at hob with std/bayside/iata Its gonna be rad!

Also awesome avatar wish Delay would get some attention
Wow, impressed you know about Delay! I grew up with those dudes in high school. Their merch guy/roadie, Pat I have known my whole life. They are incredibly DIY and under the radar these days. Awesome people that work insanely hard. If it was not for their website, it woud be near impossible to know what they were up to w/o knowing them haha.
12:40 PM on 09/19/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Wow, impressed you know about Delay! I grew up with those dudes in high school. Their merch guy/roadie, Pat I have known my whole life. They are incredibly DIY and under the radar these days. Awesome people that work insanely hard. If it was not for their website, it woud be near impossible to know what they were up to w/o knowing them haha.
Well I go to Berea Fest and DIT Fest every year! So I have to know about them hahah
01:10 PM on 09/19/11
MJSchmidt
User Info.
That's awesome you support them! Are you familiar with Andy Cook at all? He was in a band called, Ghost Town Trio that disbanded and does some solo stuff. I was just wondering if he was doing anything new at all. Once Myspace went under, it became hard to follow a lot of those guys with me going to school and them moving away as well.
01:28 PM on 09/19/11
PetitnaindesÎles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Great interview

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT