Username
Password

Comments: Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 153
08:36 AM on 09/23/11
infiniteopera
I'll have you beggin' on your knees
User Info.
I believe it's called "maturing as musicians and people". It astounds me how many people would prefer Thrice to make the same album with the same sound over and over again. I'll never understand it. I'd rather buy a different album every 2 years from my favorite bands.
No, I get the progression, I'm actually a huge fan of all their albums except this one, but as much as I liked Beggars, I wish that would have just been a one-off. I'm saying if they're going to settle on one sound, it really shouldn't be this one. They're so much better heavy or at least schizophrenic. They have the capability to make incredible, exciting music, and this just...trudges. I'd much rather have something in the vein of Illusion or Artist or Vheissu or Fire/Water than Beggars pt. 2.
10:06 AM on 09/23/11
MyEpicThrice
User Info.
That makes sense but I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't hear THAT much Beggars in this. I mean, I do a bit on songs like 'Promises' but this still stands on its own. How many times have you spun M/M so far? You may just need more time with it.
10:55 AM on 09/23/11
infiniteopera
User Info.
That makes sense but I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't hear THAT much Beggars in this. I mean, I do a bit on songs like 'Promises' but this still stands on its own. How many times have you spun M/M so far? You may just need more time with it.
A few times, and I may grow to like it more, but there's just nothing exciting about it. I have no desire to ever listen to it again... It's not bad, it's just...there.
06:59 PM on 09/23/11
liveloud4life
User Info.
No, I get the progression, I'm actually a huge fan of all their albums except this one, but as much as I liked Beggars, I wish that would have just been a one-off. I'm saying if they're going to settle on one sound, it really shouldn't be this one. They're so much better heavy or at least schizophrenic. They have the capability to make incredible, exciting music, and this just...trudges. I'd much rather have something in the vein of Illusion or Artist or Vheissu or Fire/Water than Beggars pt. 2.

Opinion.

A few times, and I may grow to like it more, but there's just nothing exciting about it. I have no desire to ever listen to it again... It's not bad, it's just...there.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean it's not fast and in your face so it's uninteresting and inherently inferior? Because that's an extremely close-minded viewpoint. Open your ears. It's still interesting. It's just different. It's interesting because it's different. Thrice is never going to make any of there old albums again so deal with it.

There's not that much. It sounds like it might chronilogically follow it in a maturation timeline but that's about it.
01:10 AM on 09/24/11
infiniteopera
User Info.
Opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean it's not fast and in your face so it's uninteresting and inherently inferior? Because that's an extremely close-minded viewpoint. Open your ears. It's still interesting. It's just different. It's interesting because it's different. Thrice is never going to make any of there old albums again so deal with it.

There's not that much. It sounds like it might chronilogically follow it in a maturation timeline but that's about it.
It's not interesting. That's the problem. Heavy or not, it's just not interesting.
02:54 AM on 09/24/11
Ignitus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just wanted to give you a heads up and point out that the song Cataracts has no odd time signature as your review suggests. You can count straight 8th notes through the entire song, with kicks on 1 and snares on 3 then entire way. It's all 4/4 so you should probably revise your review to reflect that.
10:59 AM on 09/24/11
liveloud4life
User Info.
It's not interesting. That's the problem. Heavy or not, it's just not interesting.

It's not though. You just don't have either the attention span or the perception to pick up on all the sublties new to this album that make it interesting.
01:52 PM on 09/24/11
PHI Flyers10
Registered Member
User Info.
I'm glad to see that they've bounced back so well after The Alchemy Index's
That's their best work.
02:18 PM on 09/24/11
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
The record is outstanding. Thrice can't do wrong in my eyes.

Edit: To all of the people throwing around "Thrice is better when they do A," or "Thrice's best work is B," you're just sucking wind. Subjectivity, Watson. Subjectivity.
03:19 PM on 09/24/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Well I knew it'd get a great review, as it's Thrice, and not well, a typically shitty band, but then most bands get great reviews here. I found it incredibly boring, increeeeeeedibly boring. Why they settled on this sound and not their original one we'll never know/consistently debate, but Jesus Christ, did they have to take all the fun out of their music?
there is so much "fun" in this album, it's sick
06:58 PM on 09/24/11
pleasedontpanic
I believe. Help my unbelief.
User Info.
Surprised that "Blinded" hasn't got more love whenever I see people talk about this release. It's my favorite off the album.
08:46 PM on 09/24/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Surprised that "Blinded" hasn't got more love whenever I see people talk about this release. It's my favorite off the album.
My favorite as well. Drumming is superb.
08:20 PM on 09/25/11
TheLoyalVox
www.thegreatdigression.tu mblr.com
User Info.
Such a diverse record - that's what I love most about it.

Once again, they don't disappoint.
07:37 AM on 09/26/11
MyEpicThrice
User Info.
That one has yet to "click" with me. There's just nothing memorable about it that I've heard so far. I'm sure that'll change with time. Love the avatar btw, Greatest Show Ever.
09:01 AM on 09/26/11
pleasedontpanic
I believe. Help my unbelief.
User Info.
That one has yet to "click" with me. There's just nothing memorable about it that I've heard so far. I'm sure that'll change with time. Love the avatar btw, Greatest Show Ever.
Man the harmony on the chorus is absolutely incredible. My favorite on the record so far.

Thanks for the compliment on Kramer! No doubt the greatest show ever.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos