Password

Album Review
Never Shout Never - Time Travel Album Cover

Never Shout Never - Time Travel

Reviewed by
Never Shout NeverTime Travel
Record Label: Warner Brothers Records / Loveway Records
Release Date: September 20, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Love him or hate him, Christofer Drew most likely couldn’t care less – he’s not slowing down anytime soon. With Never Shout Never, the kid continues to progress with each release. With last year’s Harmony, he went for an old-fashioned pop-record, resulting in arguably the biggest progression of his career. “Sell Out” cemented his growth as a song-writer and as an artist. Now, Never Shout Never is back in full band form with Time Travel, the most dynamic achievement for Drew yet.

The main difference between Time Travel and previous Never Shout Never records is how atmospheric it sounds – gone is the simple, stripped-down acoustic, ‘60s pop approach; welcomed is the arena-rock, experimental approach. Take the opening title track, for starters – it’s mesmerizing and hypnotic. The spacey effects relayed behind Drew’s enticing singing add a new layer to his sound, resulting in what may be the best track Never Shout Never have penned. This new instrumentation sound works wonders for Drew’s vocals, as it just all fits delightfully together.

“Awful” follows a more pop route, a bit more like previous Never Shout Never material, while “Silver Ecstasy” is a haunting performance. The latter of these may be the best vocal performance of Drew’s career, as the rock-opera approach allows his pipes to really be recognized. Yet Drew doesn’t steal the whole show this time around, as “Simplistic Trance-Like Getaway” proves the musicianship of the guys and demonstrates the beneficial effects of the full band usage.

Lyrically, Time Travel is considerably darker than any previous NSN material. The words “I’m a just a robot / I have no fears / I lack emotion…I’m just a coma / A deadly sleep” opens the haunting “Robot.” Similarly, “Until I Die Alone” is another dark love song, as Drew sings “I have thought so many times what my life would be like without you there right by my side.” It’s moments like these that demonstrate a new side to the young vocalist – he’s matured and grown.

The growth continues to be heard throughout the arena-rocker that is “Complex Heart.” As the most instrumentally complex track on the record, the penultimate track is a poignant rocker as Drew takes full command. After the colossal “Lost At Sea” ends Time Travel, the true growth of Never Shout Never has never been more clear. This is the record that will define Drew’s image as more than just a kid – it’s his magnum opus. Easily the biggest progression of Never Shout Never yet, Time Travel is the record Christofer Drew has always wanted to create, and he’s not about to stop progress anytime soon.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 54
04:09 PM on 09/20/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
I like where's he at, I love where's he going. Favorite song?
04:13 PM on 09/20/11
NeverShoutMolly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
AMAZING. <3 got my cd in the mail yesterday. <3 Chris, you are my insperation. <3
04:14 PM on 09/20/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I like where's he at, I love where's he going. Favorite song?
"Time Travel" up until the weird ending thing
04:17 PM on 09/20/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
"Time Travel" up until the weird ending thing

Haha. I literally cut off the weird ending thing on my iPod.

Damn son, Chris tweeted this. Get ready for his legion of fan girls to say 'Y NOT 100%!?!?!?".
04:18 PM on 09/20/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.

Damn son, Chris tweeted this. Get ready for his legion of fan girls to say 'Y NOT 100%!?!?!?".
04:19 PM on 09/20/11
NeverShoutMolly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

it deserves it.
04:23 PM on 09/20/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Great review, Ryan. I ordered this with a bunch of the October 4th releases, so I won't be hearing it until then, but I really look forward to it.
04:25 PM on 09/20/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Great review, Ryan. I ordered this with a bunch of the October 4th releases, so I won't be hearing it until then, but I really look forward to it.
Yeah, I've been bombarded with new/upcoming (great) music as well. Hard to decide what to spin
04:28 PM on 09/20/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Yeah, I've been bombarded with new/upcoming (great) music as well. Hard to decide what to spin
There really is too many great albums coming out. I think I counted 11 releases I'm looking forward to on the 4th.

Have you heard the acoustic bonus tracks for this record?
04:30 PM on 09/20/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
There really is too many great albums coming out. I think I counted 11 releases I'm looking forward to on the 4th.

Have you heard the acoustic bonus tracks for this record?
I have not. I'll go check them out. Which songs is it?
04:32 PM on 09/20/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I have not. I'll go check them out. Which songs is it?
Time Travel and Silver Ecstasy. Both are pretty good, picked them up off iTunes this morning.
05:35 PM on 09/20/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Time Travel and Silver Ecstasy. Both are pretty good, picked them up off iTunes this morning.
Will check out - would love to hear "Time Travel" acoustic
05:49 PM on 09/20/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
AMAZING. <3 got my cd in the mail yesterday. <3 Chris, you are my insperation. <3
hahahahaha of course she wrote it in pink.

although, this review makes me want to give this record a shot.
06:10 PM on 09/20/11
Elscorcho2008
User Info.
This album is actually really good

And by good I mean it in the literal sense not in a guilty pleasure kind of way

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT