Password

Album Review

Blink-182 - Neighborhoods Album Cover

Blink-182 - Neighborhoods

Reviewed by
Blink-182 - Neighborhoods
Record Label: Geffen
Release Date: September 27th, 2011
Ever since blink-182 announced their reunion in February 2009, we’ve all been waiting for their new album. Well, unless you’re one of those angsty kids that only listen to Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit. The new album is the follow-up to their incredible self-titled effort, released way back in 2003. It’s been eight years since Mark, Tom and Travis have put out new blink music. They’ve all participated in various side-projects, that range from great (+44 and most of the songs Angels & Airwaves have released) to terrible (Travis Barker’s solo album), which only adds to the anticipation of fans because you’d think that if you were to mix all of the aforementioned sounds together you’d get a great album, right? Neighborhoods is the result of such an experiment. Of course, there’s no pressure on the blink guys to deliver, it’s not like they’ve sold 25 million records and therefore have millions of anxious fans around the world. Oh. But wait. They have. Once you put all of these factors together you’ll understand why this is arguably the most anticipated rock record of 2011.

The album starts off with the peculiarly titled “Ghost on the Dance Floor”. As soon as that catchy guitar riff started, I couldn’t help but smile. It was at this moment that I knew blink-182 were back for sure. This song could quite easily be an Angels & Airwaves b-side if you removed Mark’s backing vocals, but it’s so damn good that I don’t care. While some listeners will be concerned that Tom isn’t separating the sound of blink-182 from that of Angels & Airwaves, I instead think that the obvious AVA influence is something that has always been a part of blink’s sound. Go back to 2003 and listen to songs like “I’m Lost Without You”, “Not Now” and “Asthenia”. That’s right, folks; Blink-182 sounded like Angels & Airwaves before Angels & Airwaves did.

Coming in right after the opener, “Natives” reminds me of what blink-182 used to sound like, only this time with darker lyrics. Mr. Hoppus chants “I’m just a bastard child, don’t let it go to your head” over a typical blink-182 guitar line, a far cry from the naivety of “All The Small Things”. This is the song that will shut the haters up, proving that Mark, Tom and Travis most definitely still have it.

Album highlight “After Midnight” is track four, positioned right after the lead single “Up All Night”, and features an absolutely stunning vocal performance from Tom. This is the best he’s sounded in years. Fans of “I Miss You” will surely find something to like here, as “After Midnight” covers similar territory. My only criticism of this track is the weird vocal effect present on Mark’s voice. It makes him sound like he’s singing inside a giant tin can, or as if he’s singing in the room next door to the actual recording studio. But other than that little niggle, this is the best song on the album and will become a classic blink-182 song for sure.

Somewhat strangely, two of the best songs are bonus tracks, only to be found on the deluxe edition of the album. “Snake Charmer” and “Fighting The Gravity” are probably the two most experimental songs to be found on Neighborhoods, particularly the latter. It opens with Mark repeating “this makes no sense, this makes no sense, this makes no sense” over and over, similarly to how Tom opened the Angels & Airwaves song “It Hurts” five years earlier on We Don’t Need To Whisper. This eerie vocal effect works amazingly well on “Fighting The Gravity”, proving to be the main hook of the song. Perhaps the experimental natures of both “Snake Charmer” and “Fighting The Gravity” will turn some blink fans off, but at the same time, there will be just as many people out there who will love them. I mean, who would’ve thought back in 2003 that Tom Delonge would base an entire band (Angels & Airwaves) around the sound he first flirted with in “I’m Lost Without You”? Maybe blink-182 will do the same with “Fighting The Gravity” in the future.

Neighborhoods takes the best from blink’s past, snatches up some ideas from both +44 and Angels & Airwaves and mixes it all together to create the best album that they possibly could, all as the band marches forward into uncharted territories. “Wishing Well” and “Even If She Falls” sound like they could easily fit onto Enema of the State, whilst “Ghost on the Dance Floor” and “Love Is Dangerous” sound like they would be at home on I-Empire (however, while the verses are excellent, the chorus of “Love Is Dangerous” is arguably the low point of the album- “Lawwv is dangerwaaaus”). Talking of being at home, “This Is Home” includes synth instrumentation, crossing over into territory that blink-182 haven’t really visited before. On the other hand, you’ve got “After Midnight”, “Kaleidoscope” and “MH 4.18.2011” which sound like they’re straight off the self-titled record. Oh, and “Heart’s All Gone” is an obvious throwback to the Dude Ranch days, only with lyrics that would be more than comfortable on +44’s When Your Heart Stops Beating.

I could go on forever about how each track on Neighborhoods offers a different experience to the listener. I could talk about how awesome “Kaleidoscope” is both lyrically and musically. I could talk about how Tom Delonge is still one of the coolest men in rock n’roll today. But I’m sure you have things to do, so I’ll bring this review to a close right now. Essentially, Neighborhoods is an album that you have to listen to if you’ve ever enjoyed blink-182 at any point in the past. There’s something on here for everyone, whether you prefer the moody atmosphere that the self-titled presents or the carefree nature of Enema of the State, you’re almost sure to be satisfied. Now stop reading this review, and go listen to Neighborhoods already. After a two and a half year wait, you’ve earned it.

Recommended If You Likeblink-182's self-titled album, Enema of the State, New Found Glory's Not Without A Fight, Angels & Airwaves I-Empire.

facebook.com/blink182
This review is a user submitted review from LetterBomb31. You can see all of LetterBomb31's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
12:40 PM on 09/26/11
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
"Ever since blink-182 announced their reunion in February 2009, we’ve all been waiting for their new album. Well, unless you’re one of those angsty kids that only listen to Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit."

lol
01:48 PM on 09/26/11
Lions and Elm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Ever since blink-182 announced their reunion in February 2009, we’ve all been waiting for their new album. Well, unless you’re one of those angsty kids that only listen to Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit."

lol
i loled too.
But not in the "that's a funny comment" way. In the "that's a fucking stupid comment" way.
02:03 PM on 09/26/11
suicidalmoose
User Info.
i loled too.
But not in the "that's a funny comment" way. In the "that's a fucking stupid comment" way.
yep. mine was a pitty lol aswell. I stopped reading the review after that
04:52 PM on 09/26/11
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
This. Random and unfunny way to start a review.

I find it funny though that people are giving such high reviews for this album even though it sounds like a handful of bad AVA b-sides and like 3 good songs (all of which Mark sings on mostly...Tom really fucked this record over) Such a huge disappointment imo.
04:27 AM on 09/27/11
N33
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Some of the comments make me wonder HAVE YOU EVER HEARD a blink 182 album before? Forget their individual efforts and listen to this. its GREAT! They have lived up to the expectations. This album reminds of their old music while at the same time it isn't exactly the same ( in a good way).
You think thousands of people are wrong and you lot are right??
Bitter.

Buy this album! You will NOT be disappointed at all.
Love the review too! great detail and agree with a lot of things said!
08:44 PM on 09/27/11
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
lol

10 lasting value
9 creativity
8.25 lyrics
07:01 AM on 09/28/11
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
i loled too.
How is it a stupid comment?
07:04 AM on 09/28/11
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
Why did that comment upset you so much? Are you a Limp Bizkit fan?
07:09 AM on 09/28/11
Lions and Elm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How is it a stupid comment?
Because one: it's totally informal, and a review is not the place to have it
And two: not everyone who likes so called "good" music in the world cares about Blink. I sure didn't.
07:14 AM on 09/28/11
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
And two: not everyone who likes so called "good" music in the world cares about Blink. I sure didn't.
Haha. That's my writing style. If you don't like it then fair enough, but don't be a dick and make patronising comments. In response to your second point, it was just a joke. No need for you to overanalyse it in the way that you have.
07:26 AM on 09/28/11
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
Oh, and if you don't like blink-182, then why did you bother to read this review?
07:34 AM on 09/28/11
Lions and Elm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh, and if you don't like blink-182, then why did you bother to read this review?
Because, I like to see how others review.
I don't "dislike them" per se, I just don't have over the top love for them.
12:17 PM on 09/28/11
suicidalmoose
User Info.
Why did that comment upset you so much? Are you a Limp Bizkit fan?
because what you've said was, there's two kinds of people:

1. those who've been eagerly waiting for the new Blink record (you)
2. angsty kids who have a shit taste in music

that being said, I like Blink and I enjoy all of their records, includingNeighborhoods, but there's a lot more bands that I prefer listening to. I wasn't even aware they were releasing a new record until a few months ago, when everyone started talking about it in this website.

what I'm trying to say is, there's tons of people who don't care about Blink and aren't angsty kids who only listen to Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit (which I don't like), and saying that is really stupid. No offense, but it really is.
01:10 PM on 09/28/11
LetterBomb31
Impossible Soul
User Info.
because what you've said was, there's two kinds of people:

1. those who've been eagerly waiting for the new Blink record (you)
2. angsty kids who have a shit taste in music

that being said, I like Blink and I enjoy all of their records, includingNeighborhoods, but there's a lot more bands that I prefer listening to. I wasn't even aware they were releasing a new record until a few months ago, when everyone started talking about it in this website.

what I'm trying to say is, there's tons of people who don't care about Blink and aren't angsty kids who only listen to Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit (which I don't like), and saying that is really stupid. No offense, but it really is.
I wasn't saying that at all! It was just a dumb joke to start the article... you people REALLY need to stop overanalysing things and lighten up a little bit.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos